PDA

View Full Version : How is the blockade affecting Qatar Airways flights

JammedStab
10th Jun 2017, 10:09
Just curious what the effect is if any. Just a simple re-route with more gas required or anything else?

MacSheikh
10th Jun 2017, 10:33
They are certainly losing some revenue as people are rebooking to travel to the areas denied to them.

Long term effect, not much unless it's a significant time period IMHO.

misd-agin
10th Jun 2017, 19:26
Not much? Industry article mentioned perhaps 30% loss of revenue. 15% for EK and the unnameable airline.

UAL777
11th Jun 2017, 05:45
Heard from friends in QR that the airport is a ghost town and loads are very light. The irony of the whole situation..

fatbus
11th Jun 2017, 07:15
The 15% refers to overall "fallout" effect to the region. EK effected bad bad ME press

Plank Cap
11th Jun 2017, 07:51
Would it be unchivalrous to suggest that EK might actually be saving money on the route, by pulling near empty A380s off Doha....?

donpizmeov
11th Jun 2017, 08:21
It was one 380 per day right? The remainder of the flights were empty 777s? On such a short flight the cost difference would be little. So a bit of a stretch to be looking for saving here.
The bad publicity for the region will be hurting bookings.

Emma Royds
11th Jun 2017, 09:23
The 380 was quietly pulled off the DOH route at the end of March anyway.

JammedStab
11th Jun 2017, 09:52
What about flight routing?

ATCO1962
11th Jun 2017, 11:51
All our Qatari traffic that used to route through UAE is now coming on new airways around the north of UAE on unusual tracks through Muscat airspace. It's interesting, to say the least, and our back-office staff are busily trying to make an untenable situation more manageable by investigating new routes. Unfortunately, we're struggling to cope with a situation that's been dumped on us. My advice to you is have a very good eye on TCAS over the next few weeks as we get used to these route changes and don't badger anyone in our airspace if you get sudden level changes or low cruising levels. We're doing the best we can.

g109
11th Jun 2017, 19:20
Got to admit to it being a lot quieter and easier flying around the gulf since this blew up.
Not missing all the Qatar aircraft confirming the next freq every time they changeover, missing calls and basically clogging up the airways!
But I'm sure we will all be back to normal soon ...... hope the guys at Qatar are getting some leave in... 👍🏼

Exactly!!!! I am with you on that, the radio discipline of QR crews is some of the worst I've seen in the world

donpizmeov
11th Jun 2017, 21:03
Ahhh, you haven't flown through Muscat recently. Not pleasant at the very early hours.

newscaster
11th Jun 2017, 23:57
QR used BRN airspace today https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr93#db36bfd

highfive
12th Jun 2017, 02:26
QR recruits many from Latin America and SE Asia. Little displine is the norm , not only on the radio! I ask : Cant these QR guys fly NPA, raw data?

pilotin777
12th Jun 2017, 14:10
highfive,

Why don't you check your spelling skills before you criticize R/T skills ?

And...what's " little displine " got to do with NPA's ? raw data ?

Cheers !

fantom
12th Jun 2017, 15:29
highfive,

Why don't you check your spelling skills before you criticize R/T skills ?

And...what's " little displine " got to do with NPA's ? raw data ?

Cheers !

You might check your punctuation skills. "NPA's"?

Dear me.

Rule3
12th Jun 2017, 15:44
QR have lost about about 18 destinations. 9 of which are in Saudi and 1 in Bahrain, 5 in the UAE and 3 in Egypt. Saudi equates to about 18% of QR's revenue.
KWI is their biggest revenue earning route, DXB was second. So 30% would seem close to the mark. However add in the cost of diversion, and that figure would be conservative.

EY & EK have lost 1 route each. I hardly think that would equal a 15% drop in revenue. Particularly as EY had 4 or 5 flights per day and EK were flying A380's up here with 100 people on board some flights.

5 Destinations in the UAE? Really.

Gunman returns
12th Jun 2017, 15:47
Raw data NPA. Keep it for the simulator. I don't want to be down the back when a hero like you decides to display his raw data 'skills'

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgement to avoid those situations where they may have to use their superior skills

Gunman returns
12th Jun 2017, 16:00
Dubai. Dubai world. Abu Dhabi Sharjah. Ras Al Khaimah.

Yes 5 destinations

UAL777
12th Jun 2017, 17:54
From friends in QR, Qatar Airways flight going nearly empty to all destinations. Airport a ghost town. Costing a lot of money flying empty widebody aircraft worldwide.

Matvey
12th Jun 2017, 18:08
5 Destinations in the UAE? Really.Abu Dhabi, DWC, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras al-Khaimah. Now, you can question the wisdom of serving 5 airports within a 150 mile stretch, but there are indeed 5 destinations.

Obbie
12th Jun 2017, 20:38
From friends in QR, Qatar Airways flight going nearly empty to all destinations. Airport a ghost town. Costing a lot of money flying empty widebody aircraft worldwide.

Not necessarily accurate, my last two flights, LAX and FRA, both
over 90% full both ways.

mmorel
12th Jun 2017, 20:59
most of the flight are 90% full and that's the reason we have not canceled any flight to US as supposed to the emirate.

CCGE29
12th Jun 2017, 23:00
UAL777 clearly has somthing against QR. Give it a rest please! We're all getting bored of your bull.

fliion
13th Jun 2017, 06:39
UAL777 clearly has somthing against QR. Give it a rest please! We're all getting bored of your bull.

CCG & mmorel - don't worry about UAL77 - he's always been full of shyte.

Now to topic at hand - you both work there. Could you be forthright and tell how things are in the same way that EK pilots do

Sentiment - are families worried? In DXB I would say that whole event has made people uneasy and could even be the last spoon of chit in the bucket for a few, particularly for the wifeys & kids who's mother's in law call all in a worry about region.
Loads? EK's are poor to very poor despite what Echo- eejit says (apparently it's all the engineers fault!)
Recruitment- tough sell here...upgrade for newbies long way off unless we order a new mid- size in numbers
Comms from your mgt? Can't be worse than here - apparently we are not even getting told officially that we have no pay raise, edu allowance, or housing review (6 mos is up on live out, HR - update please)
Overall feeling in the city etc. here we had 'happiness day' - 'twas a wonderful day, real game changer!

If you don't answer- nuff said & understood

😉

UAL777
13th Jun 2017, 06:56

Who's we? You are clearly a management troll

UAL777
13th Jun 2017, 06:58
CCG & mmorel - don't worry about UAL77 - he's always been full of shyte.

Now to topic at hand - you both work there. Could you be forthright and tell how things are in the same way that EK pilots do

Sentiment - are families worried? In DXB I would say that whole event has made people uneasy and could even be the last spoon of chit in the bucket for a few, particularly for the wifeys & kids who's mother's in law call all in a worry about region.
Loads? EK's are poor to very poor despite what Echo- eejit says (apparently it's all the engineers fault!)
Recruitment- tough sell here...upgrade for newbies long way off unless we order a new mid- size in numbers
Comms from your mgt? Can't be worse than here - apparently we are not even getting told officially that we have no pay raise, edu allowance, or housing review (6 mos is up on live out, HR - update please)
Overall feeling in the city etc. here we had 'happiness day' - 'twas a wonderful day, real game changer!

If you don't answer- nuff said & understood

😉

You don't even know me pal. I'm just speculating on when you all will be sent home. I just hope it happens safely, that's all.

UAL777
13th Jun 2017, 07:00
Also, I have inside info on QR and as far as I understand, the flights are empty and the airport is a ghost town. You can lie all you want but this is a fact. Now, carry on please..

172_driver
13th Jun 2017, 07:08
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgement to avoid those situations where they may have to use their superior skills

Thing is, many don't think letting your manual flying skills fade is good judgement.

Emma Royds
13th Jun 2017, 08:09
What we see now is I suspect to be the new status quo in the Middle East. Neither side looks like they have any desire to succumb to the demands of the other and to do so would be a national embarrassment.

Once this storm blows over and the outside world witnesses that it is 'business as usual' in Qatar, then life will continue. The gaps in the food supply chain seemed to have been filled in with Turkish and Iranian produce and the airline is still flying. QR offers a decent product out of a decent hub which is nearly always priced at a level that is more competitive than its Gulf neighbours. People will still continue to fly with them. If delayed and disrupted passengers are being well looked after then it might prompt them to consider flying QR again perhaps?

If the US was to move out of Qatar then we would not be seeing Tillerson and Trump giving such mixed messages about Qatar. There is the order for 70+ F-15 airframes that is being finalised at present plus the myriad of other future trade possibilities. Money talks at the end of the day.

We now have a more divided Gulf region and it looks like that it is here to stay. Perhaps the real winner here is Iran?

gatbusdriver
13th Jun 2017, 08:39
I have to say any inside info may be correct with regards loads, but not so on my last three flights, that is fact from the horses mouth. Although I do admit we are only just into the second week.

Is this causing lost revenue? Of course it is, reroutes using extra fuel as well as some longer flight times which will lead to increased operating costs. Loss of 18 destinations which had multiple flights will certainly mean it is quieter in the terminal. I hope what the chief said yesterday holds true and we can open new destinations quickly and move on.

I think people need to calm down. We seem to be getting some sweeping genaralisations about the standards of crew, state of the airline among other things that seem a little baseless to me. We also have people stating that some airlines in the Gulf are better to work for than American legacy airlines, and that NPAs and visual circuits are not important......they are.....I wish we could maintain our handling skills on the job.......the fact is we can't and that goes for many carriers. So let's take a step back and stop behaving like certain ruling members of GCC countries.

One thing I will say, an escalation of the current situation is not good for any of the ME carriers. This spat will have an effect on all of our future bookings for this year and possibly next due to fears of instability in the Gulf. Again I could be talking out of my backside as price is usually king!

Here's hoping for a return to normality shortly.

Che Xindamail
13th Jun 2017, 08:51
Well said, Emma

There is certainly no panic in the streets in Doha, though I read that Saudi milk is running out and being replaced by Turkish. Life goes on.

Regarding passenger loads, I just had a flight East (A330) removed and upgraded to 777 due pax loads. I guess the pax materialized out of thin air in the ghost town of an airport. Have to use my annual ticket to get back home next week due loads as well.

One more airway through Bahrain was opened up again yesterday. We have an astounding amount of traffic north to Iran during peak departures. Looks great on Flightradar 24. The new normal is settling in.

Meanwhile, UAL777 can stick to UAL issues, unless you, like most of the more immature posters on here, belong in the Wannabe section? Get well soon.

TURIN
13th Jun 2017, 09:20
There is a knock on effect.
Flights to Europe are seeing a drop in loads with some cancellations.
Thin end of the wedge. :sad:

J.L.Seagull
13th Jun 2017, 13:15
Well said, Emma

One more airway through Bahrain was opened up again yesterday. We have an astounding amount of traffic north to Iran during peak departures. Looks great on Flightradar 24. The new normal is settling in.

I also overheard Muscat ATC asking some Qatari to contact Sanaa at IMKAD. I thought Yemen was in on this too.

FoxForce44
16th Jun 2017, 11:38
Exactly!!!! I am with you on that, the radio discipline of QR crews is some of the worst I've seen in the world

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-15/emirates-fined-4-270-after-two-unsafe-incidents-in-china

Radio discipline huh Goose?

Marcellus Wallace
16th Jun 2017, 13:59
Too true...People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and all that...maybe not so smug now huh?

lfbb
16th Jun 2017, 15:26
I’ll die not getting to see everything in aviation business, looks like we have some Top Guns Radio Operators around here....kkkk

richard III
17th Jun 2017, 13:28
UAL777..been following your silly posts from the other thread....don't know what your issue with QR is, nor I care....nor will I get on arguments on what your "friends" tell you. Like I told you before, this situation affects everyone in the gulf. Instead of spreading bull in this forum, try to strike a more positive tone as all 3 Airlines are affected, the unmentionable one cannot afford !% drop in revenue, EK has a bit more leeway and QR obviously is affected as well, but the doomsday scenario that you paint... only your "friends" see it.....mate, look who got elected in the US thanks to trolls like you! You might want to take your expertise in geopolitics somewhere else and leave this forum to people that want to contribute to this community in a more positive and truthful tone...

ironbutt57
17th Jun 2017, 18:36
UAL777..been following your silly posts from the other thread....don't know what your issue with QR is, nor I care....nor will I get on arguments on what your "friends" tell you. Like I told you before, this situation affects everyone in the gulf. Instead of spreading bull in this forum, try to strike a more positive tone as all 3 Airlines are affected, the unmentionable one cannot afford !% drop in revenue, EK has a bit more leeway and QR obviously is affected as well, but the doomsday scenario that you paint... only your "friends" see it.....mate, look who got elected in the US thanks to trolls like you! You might want to take your expertise in geopolitics somewhere else and leave this forum to people that want to contribute to this community in a more positive and truthful tone...

why do you bother to respond?.....and also a nice opportunity for a cheap shot at Trump as well...time for you as well to contribute to this community in a more positive tone...

richard III
17th Jun 2017, 23:15
agree iron...shouldn't bother, then again, no shot at Trump is cheap, but that's a matter of opinion, right?... now, let's get back on topic and try to be more optimistic and dispense with the crap, just went to Hamad and it was packed..no ghost town...

Global_Global
18th Jun 2017, 13:45
Zero food shortages... ZERO, none, nothing, nada...
My flights have all run according to schedule..
And Hamad was busy as usual.. :ok:

So I think the biggest pain is:

Psychological: the fact that the Qatari looked down upon by their peers
Practical: not being able to fly direct to particularly Dubai is a pain (parties :E)
Financial: Saudi is a big market for QR

On the up side:

being called a sponsor of terrorists by one of the biggest sponsors of terrorism is almost a compliment....
The fact that Al Jazeera is seen as a pain by the UAE and Saudi means that they are doing a good job in uncovering stuff that our "partners in the fight against terrorism" would not like the world to know :ok:

lfbb
18th Jun 2017, 15:54
Best description I’ve read so far:
http://dohane.ws/2tBjUom

pfvspnf
19th Jun 2017, 07:19
You do realize it takes time for the consequences of a blockade to take effect...

Things are not all well in the QR castle, it's a dictatorship that exploits cheap cheap labour just like their neighbours