PDA

View Full Version : AVRO RJ85 range

Sailvi767
9th Jun 2017, 13:26
Air BVI has announced plans to start non stop service from EIS on Tortola to JFK with the RJ85. In addition they plan non stops to MIA and MCO. The route is 1411 NM direct however the actual flying distance will vary but usually 1600 NM. THe Runway at EIS is 4645 feet long located at Sea Level. Typical takeoff temps will be around 29C. I can't find any performance data for takeoff online for the AVRO but from the data I can find this route seems beyond the capability of the aircraft. Any AVRO drivers have the charts who don't mind crunching a few numbers and posting the results?

Melax
9th Jun 2017, 13:40
Cranfield Aerospace has a range extension mod that can add up to 800nm .
The trade off is of course passenger weight restriction due to the added weight of the extra LR tanks. So maybe that's the case, otherwise with full fuel, standard tanks, optimal conditions, that range (1400NM) is attainable not fully loaded.

Sailvi767
9th Jun 2017, 14:01
I made a mistake on the initial post. They will use RJ100's. Still would like to see some data off the EIS runway.

LGW Vulture
9th Jun 2017, 14:58
Whilst this question should admittedly be on the Questions forum (strangely enough) I thought there would be an obvious answer to the RJ85 range question......Not enough!

Sailvi767
9th Jun 2017, 16:08
I should have posted it on the questions forum. The range of the RJ100 is easy to find. What's is not easy is how much of a range penalty you take for the short runway and high temps. I suspect it's substantial but have no data.
Mods feel free to move to the questions section!

Sailvi767
9th Jun 2017, 18:12
]

The expansion at EIS is years away and may never happen. I guess a better way of putting the question would be can the RJ100 depart 4645 foot runway on a 29C day at sea level at max structural weight. If not what would be the approximate max runway allowable weight. If someone has a runway performance chart they can post that would be great.

FE Hoppy
9th Jun 2017, 19:02
It's over a year since they were in my classroom discussing exactly this. I can assure you they have crunched the numbers and are not the type to sharp pencil.

EDLB
9th Jun 2017, 19:45
Here is some older stuff.

http://www.angelwingsva.com/lib/DOWNLOAD/pdf/RJ_Tech_data_at_a_glance__April_2004.pdf

Sailvi767
9th Jun 2017, 22:03
It's over a year since they were in my classroom discussing exactly this. I can assure you they have crunched the numbers and are not the type to sharp pencil.

I am not sure why this seems to be top secret info. I spend a bunch of time in Tortola, often up to 10 weeks a year. From the numbers I have it appears the RJ100 can't make JFK with any degree of reliability. If the gross weight is restricted by the runway length it looks impossible unless they severely restrict the load. I fully understand there are lots of variants. Just trying to get a idea of what the aircraft can do off a short runway.

EDLB
10th Jun 2017, 09:09
May be they hired Bolivian management which were available on the job market with some experience in such operations. (SCNR)