PDA

View Full Version : Short Bros prototype ?

BCALman
5th Jun 2017, 16:34
hi folks,
I saw this photo online, given as a Short Bros type......but its a new one on me?

Looks to be a 3 engine monoplane, personal or two person only

Any thoughts at all please?
Many thanks
Dave

Herod
5th Jun 2017, 17:20
What's driving the two wing-tip props; ducted air?

BCALman
5th Jun 2017, 19:02
it could be, I was wondering if they may be some form of wing stabilisaton instead of floats if this was designed in part as a seaplane....which Shorts did many types of.

treadigraph
5th Jun 2017, 19:48
A fantasy desk ornament I'd suggest...

BCALman
5th Jun 2017, 20:03
I don't think it was built, but wondered if it was ever assigned a project name or number maybe? It looks a nice model to have had made.

treadigraph
5th Jun 2017, 20:27
Look at the props, look at the way it's mounted. I honestly don't think this was anything commissioned by an aircraft manufacturer to represent a design.

Fareastdriver
5th Jun 2017, 20:46
Maybe they got one of their aquatic experts who designed hulls to design an aeroplane.

DaveReidUK
5th Jun 2017, 21:21
It doesn't look remotely like anything that could have originated from a Queens Island drawing board.

Rosevidney1
5th Jun 2017, 21:35
And I bet Rotol had no part in the prop design!

megan
6th Jun 2017, 01:58
I've deduced that the wing tip props drive generators, and the leccy so produced drive the nose prop.

FlightlessParrot
6th Jun 2017, 05:51
I've deduced that the wing tip props drive generators, and the leccy so produced drive the nose prop.

I don't think that would have worked, because of the losses in generating electricity and then driving a motor. It's more likely there were loops of belting or chain from the wing props to the shaft of the nose prop. The cunning thing was the differential between the wing props, for control in yaw.

El Bunto
6th Jun 2017, 05:59
I haven't encountered any Shorts display-model in a material other than wood or fibreglass - and they all had realistic scale features, not lollipop-stick propellors. And a nice SHORTS tapeworm logo, otherwise what's the point?

If it really is associated with Shorts perhaps it was a project for an intern or in collaboration with the engineering department of a local university. Those tended to create designs outside the normal pattern.

BCALman
6th Jun 2017, 13:52
many thanks for all the replies, just caught up and all very interesting, thank you. Dave

PDR1
6th Jun 2017, 13:59
I don't think that would have worked, because of the losses in generating electricity and then driving a motor.

I believe your sarcasm detector requires recalibration.

PDR
(Sarc is my second favourite asm)

FlightlessParrot
6th Jun 2017, 21:39
I believe your sarcasm detector requires recalibration.

PDR
(Sarc is my second favourite asm)

Hi Pot

Best wishes

Kettle

megan
7th Jun 2017, 01:37
FlightlessParrot, your solution is so last century, but to be expected from a NZer who can fix anything with a bit of No. 8 fencing wire. :p

FlightlessParrot
7th Jun 2017, 09:06
FlightlessParrot, your solution is so last century, but to be expected from a NZer who can fix anything with a bit of No. 8 fencing wire. :p

It also helps that we never ratified the Laws of Thermodynamics.