PDA

View Full Version : Are you looked after when you park the plane for a clean?

Emgee
5th Jun 2017, 11:55
Hello to the forum, this is my first post and I hope it finds you in the right place!

I'm doing some research for an article I'll be writing for the IPA newsletter later this year and I'm keen to get some feedback from pilots and flight crew with regards how you are looked after - after you drop your plane off to be cleaned and valeted. I'm probably appealing more to pilots who fly private or business jets but I am also interested in how pilots with some of the large carriers are also looked after post flight (or not as the case maybe!).

I work for a facilities management company based in the Diamond Hanger at Stansted Airport. Much of the work we do is on the ground but we are keen to develop our recently established division dedicated to plane valeting. As part of our service we'd like to look after the crew as well! What are the little things that will help you unwind post flight before you head for home? How do you transition from work mode to going home to the family?

All suggestions are welcome!

Many thanks, Mark

ksjc
5th Jun 2017, 14:03
Speaking as a US operator of a large biz-jet.... cleaning crews always come to the plane and clean it in the home hangar in my experience. I have never dropped a plane anywhere to be cleaned. Signature once had a service, maybe they still do, called Q-Cart (?) that was a sort of mobile cleaning rig and offered some cleaning services while visiting the FBO.

Not sure any of this helps to answer your question though.

what next
5th Jun 2017, 14:19
... cleaning crews always come to the plane and clean it in the home hangar in my experience.

The same in our operation. When we are away for a few days, the crew does the cleaning (in 99% of flights 5 minutes with a small vacuum cleaner is all that is required to do the job) with the exception of toilet servicing. At home we have a contracted company who cleans the aircraft inside and outside. We know these guys and ladies since many years and are on friendly terms with them (*) often we have a little chat and share leftover catering with them or they bring along some stuff from other aircraft they just looked after.

(*) And this would be my answer to the original question: For me, long standing personal relations between air crew and ground crew (mechanics, cleaners, office staff) are the best recipe for unwinding after a flight. Knowing "my" plane in good hands is all I need to unwind post flight.

Hawker 800
5th Jun 2017, 18:07
Our aircraft are cleaned at home base only by dedicated professional aircraft cleaners. I generally wouldn't use a cleaning service down route. There are a few exceptions.

All I want post flight, after securing the aircraft and a tidy up (FA does cabin, crew do covers etc) is a quick and efficient friendly service. The quicker I can get to the crew hotel the better, I'm not there for a social visit. I expect my booked transport to be there when I ask. Nothing worse than waiting around for FBO staff or drivers.

Out of interest, what would your cost be for a Hawker 800 and a Challenger 300. What products do you use, is it a dry wash or wet etc. Outside only and out/in clean prices would be useful.

PPE
5th Jun 2017, 22:13
I work for a facilities management company based in the Diamond Hanger at Stansted Airport. Much of the work we do is on the ground but we are keen to develop our recently established division dedicated to plane valeting. As part of our service we'd like to look after the crew as well! What are the little things that will help you unwind post flight before you head for home? How do you transition from work mode to going home to the family?
What do you mean when you say looking after the crew, as this is what the FBO should already be doing? If you want to provide this service I would suggest you establish relationships with the FBO's and dont cut them out or take work away, as you will certainly need them for a whole multitude of things.

Right Hand Thread
9th Jun 2017, 01:21
...Hanger.....

Hangar.

Hawker 800
9th Jun 2017, 08:31
The OP must only be after a bit of free advertising. Hasn't got back to me with a quote.