PDA

View Full Version : Postpone training

Vin Diesel
12th Jul 2002, 12:31
I am in a bit of a bind at the moment. I finished school last year, Ireland, got a good Leaving Cert and deferred my college place for this year. I have been working to save money to pay for my PPL, which I am loving, except for the terrible weather we have had all summer, haven't flown for a month now.:mad:
Still, my time off, (full time education) is coming to an end. And now I must decide whether to continue in my current job which I do not enjoy at all, and continue to earn money, save for CPL/IR ATPL writtens, multi rating and FI rating, and hope that in four years time the airline industry is recruiting, there are instructor jobs and the traditional progression is restored, or go to college, graduate, at which time I will still be only 23, get a better, i.e. better paying more tolerable job, and save and borrow and start training then.
I would really appreciate any suggestions, especially people in a similar situation. Read with interest the thread on apprenticeship in the merchant navy.
All comments welcome....

And are there any other Weston students out there...

Professor Fog
12th Jul 2002, 12:46
Go to Uni/College, earn-beg-borrow-steal money to keep your PPL current. Worry about getting a CPL/IR once you have a degree

jonathang
12th Jul 2002, 12:57
Dont think there is one answer really,

I have decided to go back to Uni to do Aeronautical Engineering. I am in exactly the same position as u. But thats just my decision.

Hopefully going to get into the UAS.

JonathanG

There was a huge thread on this topic:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57372

FRIDAY
13th Jul 2002, 00:23
Well Vin Diesel you are exactly in the same position I was some years ago. I started doing some training out in weston with cash from part time jobs but knew I was not going to be able to keep current, with limited chances of getting the Aer Lingus sposorship at the time althought I did get to the last handful or so. Anyway I would see countless amount of students in Weston go hell bent for leather towards the rating's but to only run out of cash and then lose interest as they were spending more and more cash just re-capping there last lesson cos its been 2 months since they flew. If you plan to go all the way to your cpl/atpl's I would suggest go to college work part time, get a reasonable job and work full time for a year or two and tackle the training with a wad of cash.You dont have to do a 4yr degree, do a cert or dip prefably in a technical subject and you should be sorted.
But don't attempt the training if cash is an issue you could get to a crucial stage and run dry. And keep reading those books.
I am 23 now but not for long and about to start training it took me years to save and drove me mad not been able to fly in the mean time but I still believe I have taken the right decision, and when I finish if there is no job I can still go hr build/FI/or aerobatic course or just clean planes in weston whichever but I will not have the worry of bank debts. Good luck

two speed prop
13th Jul 2002, 22:09
I was also in a very similar position a few years ago. I finished my A'levels and got a place studying aeronautical engineering at Imperial collage, which I deferred for a year. In that year I got a really crap job and managed to scrape enough money together for my PPL. I started the course and quit after the first year due to the escalating debts. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind owing a fortune but the fact is a degree does not really get you any closer to the right hand seat.
After leaving I got the best job I could find and paid for each stage of training as and when I could afford it. I am just finishing my ATPL exams and if all goes well, should have my CPL by christmas. Then the plan is to get a CDL for the IR with the aim of finishing around Feb.

I'm not telling you to jack in the course and follow my route because your circumstances could be totally different. All I know is that if I'd stayed on at UNI I'd be 23 when I finishing next year with a 20k debt, no job and a PPL with 45hours. Instead I will have a CPL/IR and about a 10k debt. Even if there is no chance of a job in the short term, I am ready for when(or if) the market turns.

Whatever route you choose, it is one hell of a hard decision!

Good luck!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

FWA NATCA
13th Jul 2002, 23:10
Vin,

To borrow a quote from George Burns a famous comedian in the US.

"I'd rather do poorly at something I love, than be good at something I hate"

Finish training,

Mike

MorningGlory
14th Jul 2002, 21:39
Its difficult, and dont I only know it, that when you have a long term goal on your mind such as pro flight training its easy to be in a rush.

In your particular case, and for what my opinion is worth, I think you should get your degree first and keep your ppl valid during that time.

You will still only be 23 when you've got it and will be say 24 or 25 when you have a frozen atpl too. Thats a lot better than being 21 with ONLY a frozen atpl, and the employers I'm sure would look at this way too!

Broken Wings
15th Jul 2002, 12:47
VD
In life you have to grab opportunities when they arrive and have back up plans when they don't. Now is not a time of oppurtinities in the aviation world but should be in a few years time. Its your call but my advice (as a 40 something) is obtain a fall back plan (further ed) and keep the ppl current. Best of luck.

Vin Diesel
16th Jul 2002, 11:59
Thanks for your comments, most appreciated. I think that I will go to college, always helps to have a contingency plan. I don't think I could stick much more of my job anyway. Still, I have my medical on Friday. Fingers crossed, should be okay, a little worried about my eyes though...

LIMA OR ALPHA JUNK
16th Jul 2002, 17:01
I wouldn't want to be the spreader of doom and gloom but if it kicks off in the middle east next year the whole industry is going to be in the crap again.

If I was looking for a job or considering doing my ATPL at the moment I would ensure I had other options available. Just my own opinion mind.

tailscrape
16th Jul 2002, 17:18
Lima,

Quite positive for you that really! I have heard you referred to as the "Harbinger of doom" before.......

Only kidding. You are quite right. I am shi??ing myself now.