PDA

View Full Version : Dauphin London Bridge.

mickjoebill
4th Jun 2017, 04:51
Impressive pics of tax payers money put to good use to defend Londoners.

Jolly good that they can set down close to where they are needed.

Mjb

Cows getting bigger
4th Jun 2017, 09:11
There are two helicopters in that picture.

lotus1
4th Jun 2017, 09:31
Seen above a few times flying around. Boscombe down

Dave Clarke Fife
4th Jun 2017, 10:13
658 Sqn from Credenhill

mickjoebill
4th Jun 2017, 13:49
The report says this was the first time the new 70 strong team had deployed, but for the record, was there a report that a helicopter disgorged "police" in Westminster after the Westminster Bridge rampage?
Was Westminster incident Blue Thunders first deployment?

Mjb

Bravo73
4th Jun 2017, 13:54
You're really calling it 'Blue Thunder'??!?

lotus1
4th Jun 2017, 15:57
With living near battersea heliport I remember on a number occasions visiting the heliport and seeing the ex Argentina 109 painted up in the old AM colours with military serials and being told the sas where using these ?

FSXPilot
4th Jun 2017, 17:38
This is correct. They had the Argentinian one and bought two others. These were replaced with the Dauphins about 4 years ago. If you want to see pictures of them just google 8 flight.

jimf671
5th Jun 2017, 00:28
Not to be confused with the Navy's N2 Dauphins which have a similar principal colour.

mickjoebill
5th Jun 2017, 00:32
You're really calling it 'Blue Thunder'??!?

I clearly quoted the article, that's what the article says they are called.
Is it a falsehood?

Mjb

EESDL
5th Jun 2017, 03:04
2 of them serviceable ???

Airbubba
5th Jun 2017, 03:27
There are two helicopters in that picture.

Eurocopter EC135 P2+ G-TVHB was involved in the response and orbited afterward for a while at 1600 feet. It is probably the helo already on the bridge in the picture above.

abgd
5th Jun 2017, 04:36
Why the Dauphin? Speed? It looks unexpectedly un-military though clearly appearances are deceptive.

tartare
5th Jun 2017, 06:47
Certainly seems pretty quick - 145 knots?
I assume they take out the leather seats for the men with mad staring eyes, Gucci guns and Nomex suits?
Has it emerged yet whether any of Hereford's finest did any `offing' or was that all armed constabulary?

Bravo73
5th Jun 2017, 07:27
I clearly quoted the article, that's what the article says they are called.

It's a faintly ridiculous, tabloid nickname. So, no, I don't think that is what they are actually called.

And I imagine that the helicopter won't stay blue for very long.

jimcarler
5th Jun 2017, 09:01
Certainly seems pretty quick - 145 knots?
I assume they take out the leather seats for the men with mad staring eyes, Gucci guns and Nomex suits?
Has it emerged yet whether any of Hereford's finest did any `offing' or was that all armed constabulary?

Not sure they were on the ground on time - think these pictures came from several minutes after the attack

PDR1
5th Jun 2017, 10:16
So how in heck did a pair of AS365s scramble from Hereford to central London in 8 minutes? I'm not even sure they could have sortied from *Horseguards* in that sort of timescale. Were they already "on patrol"?

PDR

Non-Driver
5th Jun 2017, 10:23
So how in heck did a pair of AS365s scramble from Hereford to central London in 8 minutes? I'm not even sure they could have sortied from *Horseguards* in that sort of timescale. Were they already "on patrol"?

PDR

Had me wondering too. Maybe there was some pro-active state of readiness given recent events and the fact it was Derby weekend and General Election this week. Don't think FlightRadar24 will tell you were they came from ;)

ericferret
5th Jun 2017, 12:46
With turbo boost and whisper mode engaged I estimate Hereford to London in 5 minutes,
30 seconds to check themselves over in a mirror, 2.5 mins to slot the bad guys. Home for tea and medals.

Or the police sorted it out.

Or there were already troops on the ground

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
5th Jun 2017, 14:04
Always knew turbo boost and whisper mode existed. Airwolf must have been real........ :cool:

NEO

lotus1
5th Jun 2017, 14:11
Rumours has it Northolt but with regards to derby a lot of choppers where at farnbourgh high rollers landing in jets straight on chopper to epsom

Rigga
5th Jun 2017, 14:37
There are other suitable places almost as close as Northolt...just not airfields!

212man
5th Jun 2017, 16:05

PDR
It was the police that were on scene in 8 minutes, that's how!

roybert
5th Jun 2017, 18:37
Always knew turbo boost and whisper mode existed. Airwolf must have been real........ :cool:

NEO

I was thinking about the movie from 1983 with Roy Scheider and the Blue Thunder Chopper the spied on people with it's whisper mode.

peter we
5th Jun 2017, 18:45

NEO

It was as noisy as hell, never heard a helicopter like it. Not that I'm an expert.

MightyGem
5th Jun 2017, 19:57
Eurocopter EC135 P2+ G-TVHB was involved in the response and orbited afterward for a while at 1600 feet. It is probably the helo already on the bridge in the picture above.
Probably not. On the bridge that is.

jimf671
5th Jun 2017, 20:37
2 of them serviceable ???

Do tell.

Is this the real story of the 5th ship? :E

helisniper
5th Jun 2017, 21:25
EESDL's memories of Dauphin serviceability are obviously affected by the one he knows. He's certainly a very log way from 365s in Europe these days, least of all those N3s that don't exist.

jimf671
6th Jun 2017, 07:19
EESDL's memories of Dauphin serviceability are obviously affected by the one he knows. He's certainly a very log way from 365s in Europe these days, least of all those N3s that don't exist.

Only good memories of 365N here.

helisniper
6th Jun 2017, 10:34
TBH, I didn't think his was at all bad, colour scheme was a bit dodgy maybe, but now he's much more important and on something bigger and newer, maybe the 365 is 'dead to him'?!

:)

Special 25
6th Jun 2017, 18:47
According to the Daily Mirror

"A military source said: “These helicopters are extremely agile and quick - with the ability to get into smaller spaces, travel in-between high buildings with relative silence and at speed, with eight soldiers."

Relative Silence?? Well, they must be some vastly modified Dauphin's. I've never heard anything make a noise like a 365. You can feel the air vibrating for about 8 miles as its heading towards you and then the wailing banshee noise of that fenestron.

Speed - Yes.
Agression - Perhaps
Surprise - Erm, well perhaps not!

albatross
6th Jun 2017, 18:56
Hey on a cold/calm -35C day you could hear/feel a 205 / Huey coming from 50 miles away.

henra
6th Jun 2017, 19:11
Hey on a cold/calm -35C day you could hear/feel a 205 / Huey coming from 50 miles away.

Agreed to both.
The 365 has a very distinct and impressive vibrating noise combined with the screaming sound of the Fenestron. Huey being the loudest of all but the 365 is louder (noise carrying over longer distance due too low frequency vibration) than most if not all of the other modern 5t Helicopters. Huey and 365 are the only two which I can unmistakably identify long before I see them.

RVDT
6th Jun 2017, 20:45
Well, they must be some vastly modified Dauphin's. I've never heard anything make a noise like a 365. You can feel the air vibrating for about 8 miles as its heading towards you and then the wailing banshee noise of that fenestron.

The 365 has a very distinct and impressive vibrating noise combined with the screaming sound of the Fenestron.

It seems that they are N3's so none of the above actually would be true. Fenestron on the N3 is same/similar to EC155.

Asymmetric spaced 10 blade composite fan.

I think the original fenestron may no longer be supported.

EXcKGN-Mydg

nowherespecial
7th Jun 2017, 08:05
Stealth is a relative concept when compared with the usual CH47 that these characters like to bowl around in, the N3 is basically a stealth helicopter.