PDA

View Full Version : ATPL feedback questions!

RowleyUK
12th Jul 2002, 11:17
An a/c at 2000' encounters bad icing. What should it do?

descend to the warmer air
carry on until out of cloud
climb to the colder air
turn back

Where is the worst icing?

0 - -10
-25 - -45
-45 - -70
+2 - -20

which is true about the geost' wind?

turns right and increases with height in the n hem
proportional to density
cant remember rest!!

What is true about excercise?

it ismportant to maintaining good general health and is the only effective way to lose weight
it ismportant to maintaining good general health but the only effective way to lose weight is to reduce caloric intake
it ismportant to maintaining good general health but doesnt afect weight

After scuba diving to more than 10 m wat is true about flying imediately afterards?

it is forbidden
should wait 24 hrs coz it causes hypoxia
not affected
cant remember

On a flight a passenger complains of severe belly ache what do you do?

1. advise them to rub there stomach to ease the pain
2. advise tem to stand up nd expel the air
3 advise them not to consume any gasious food or drink on any future flights
4. advise them to drink lots of water throughout the flight

i iv
i ii iii
i ii iv
ii iii iv

What is a consequence of using a VOR outside the DOC?

1 no problems
2 satic interference
3 interference from oher tx
4 skywaves caused by other far away tx sharing the same fq

What is the highest lat at which the sun is overhead at 90 degreese atleast once a year?

when must the ins be switched to NAV mode?

before loading passengers
after loading passengers
lined on the runway
before moving from the gate
Plus loads of other OFF TOPIC questions!!!!!!!

cant really remember he question but it goes something likethis--
where is the center of the core on a jetstream?

in the warm air with th horizontal temp gradient at its least
in the warm air with the horizontal temp gradient at its most
in the cold air
in the wrm air with the warm air vertically below at the surface

What determines how much WATER VAPOUR air can hold?

RH
Temp
Pressure
density

What is the name of the wind which causes indias bad weather?

winter monsoon
ne monsoon
sw monsoon
indian monsoon

what does a VORTAC look like on a chart

showed pic of normal tacan
showed pic of tacan with ends coloured in (VOR sort of imposed on it)
plus other none relavent pictures

Other questions like-

What did the bloke next to you have for his breakfast?
And loads of other impossible ones!
cant really remeber much else but i can remember the Met exam was almost impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RowleyUK
13th Jul 2002, 11:29
Does anyone know any of the answers??

Kapooley
13th Jul 2002, 11:52
I will have a go.

Worst icing found 0 - -10

which is true about the geost' wind

The density thing is wrong for sure, I guess it turns right and increases with height in the n hem.

What is true about excercise

it ismportant to maintaining good general health and is the only effective way to lose weight

After scuba diving to more than 10 m wat is true about flying imediately afterards

should wait 24 hrs coz it causes hypoxia

On a flight a passenger complains of severe belly ache what do you do?

1. advise them to rub there stomach to ease the pain
2. advise tem to stand up nd expel the air
3 advise them not to consume any gasious food or drink on any future flights
4. advise them to drink lots of water throughout the flight

I guess its : i ii iii

when must the ins be switched to NAV mode

before moving from the gate

cant really remember he question but it goes something likethis--
where is the center of the core on a jetstream

in the warm air with the horizontal temp gradient at its most

What determines how much WATER VAPOUR air can hold

Temp

How did I do??
:D :D

erjdriver
13th Jul 2002, 16:44
A pax complaining about belly ache? Isn't that why we have Flight Attendants? I couldn't find an answer for that one.

two speed prop
13th Jul 2002, 21:21
I agree with Kapooley with the exception of:

What is true about exercise?

exercise is a very inefficient way of losing weight, therefore the answer is:

It is important in maintaining general health but the only effecient way to lose weight is to reduce calorie intake.

After diving to 10m, what is true about flying afterwards?

This does not cause hypoxia, it causes nitrogen narcosis(bends).

So if the last option was rubbish I would say the answer is:
It is forbidden.

Also,If you encounter icing at 2000' you should?

turn back

What causes the bad weather in India?

SW monsoon.

I hope this helps!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Jinkster
14th Jul 2002, 15:07
Absolutely stupid HP and L questions more like a questionairre than an exam - lots of questions on stress.

Radio Nav. - couple of questions on theoretical range (1.25 x square root...)

IFR comms was easier than VFR

Good luck all

Jinkster
:confused:

buttline
14th Jul 2002, 15:37
two speed prop,

nitrogen narcosis and bends are 2 different things. NN affects become noticable below about 40m - it's like being drunk and the effects subside immediately upon assent to shallower depths. Other than the effect it has on decision making at depth, it's not dangerous.

I sat the same exam. There were a lot of Red Herrings about excercising after diving and before flying reducing the effects of the bends - didn't see anything about it in the syllabus. Anyway, I'm a scuba instructor - heavy excercise after diving makes DCS worse - like shaking a bottle of Coke before opening it (reducing the pressure) makes the fizz worse.

Rote 8
15th Jul 2002, 19:55
The question about icing at 2000ft was probably a question about the rain ice triangle. The correct answer is either to climb into the warm air above, or to descend; all things considered I gather that the option to go for is to climb into the warmer air. The one thing that you do not want to be doing is turning around. If you have come so far through icing conditions then the turn and the associated retreat will load you up with at least the same amount of ice again as you have already collected – that might really spoil your afternoon.

The worst icing is from 0 - -10 deg

When diving to in excess of 10m you should not fly for at least 24 hours. This is not due to Hypoxia, but Nitrogen Narcosis (I think someone has already mentioned this). Nitrogen is absorbed into your blood stream under pressure when diving and if you surface too quickly the nitrogen gas expands faster than it can be released from the blood.

The question about the highest lat – the third option was 23, rather than 33 deg and I think that this is correct. The tropics of cancer and Capricorn are at 23.5 deg N and 23.5 deg S respectively and these are the points furthest N and S that the sun will be directly overhead at some time during the year.

Hope you did OK

Pub User
15th Jul 2002, 21:18
Rote 8

It's always difficult to relate ATPL questions to real life, but I'd think very seriously about your last piece of advice.

The implication in the question is that you've suddenly encountered icing, presumably due to some sort of frontal system, such as the 'rain ice triangle' you mentioned.

Descending is plainly not a good idea at 2000'.

'Climbing into warmer air' as you stated, was not on the list of answers. Regardless of this, although these are ATPL questions, they tend to relate to SEP operations, because that's what most candidates fly, and these machines don't climb quickly enough to escape.

The only option is to turn back. A rate 1 turn (you can turn harder!) onto reciprocal takes 1 min, add the penetration time and you're out in 2 or 3.

Just to make sure my opinion was not complete rubbish, I checked a text-book:

'Meterology for Pilots' by Mike Wickson:

"If rain ice is suddenly encountered, it may be necessary for a pilot to turn immediately on to a reciprocal heading."

The key word is "immediately". Don't think about it, just turn back, and do the thinking when the ice starts to shed.

RowleyUK
16th Jul 2002, 00:18
this is what i put:

Im drunk so beware!!!

1. Clmb to the colder air

2. 0 - -10 Why is there not an answer for 2 - -15????

3.Iput it is proportional to the density.......this is because the formula is something like

geo wind = density x omega x lat

this would make it proportional to the density

4.excercise is the only effective way to lose weight.....this is because reducing your calorie intake will stop you gaining weight, but you will not lose weight without excercising also!!

5. It is forbidden to fly after scuba diving. This was the only reasonable answer. Scuba diving does not cause hypoxia!!!

6.With regards to belly ache...... I put i ii & iii

7. I put, the skywaves will cause a problem.....this is bad question!!! Skywaves rarely occur above the HF frequency band, but they do happen!!! This would make two answers correct!!!!!!

8.There was no option of 23.5 degrees.....otherwise i would have put that for sure! I put 66 degrees! Probably wrong....but there are more important things in life than this!!!

9.in the warm with the temp grad at most

10.RH......I wish i had put temp, but it did say WATER VAPOUR....Had it said 'what controls RH' then i would have put temp!

11.sw monsoon

12. I put a VORTAC is the tacan with the coloured ends.

Thanks the reply guys and gals!

Kapooley
16th Jul 2002, 08:06
Rowley,

How many exams did you sit and which subjects?

Rote 8
16th Jul 2002, 09:23
Pub User

Rather than offering practical advice on what action to take when faced with severe icing I was trying to offer guidance on how to answer the ATPL question. I also have read Wickson.

I strongly recall that the teaching I received on the subject at Groundschool IF indeed the question is about the rain ice triangle is to try and climb to the warm air above. I also recall that it was mentioned at the time that such guidance was contrary to that offered by Wickson.

I agree descent is not much of an option at the altitude given in the question and concede that given the range of options given by Rowley I would go for an immediate 180. However I am conscious of how difficult it is to correctly remember feedback from the papers and I have a suspicion that the first answer may actually have been climb to the warmer air

Dick Whittingham
16th Jul 2002, 20:48
The procedure for getting out of rain ice is the subject of some argument. We teach climb as a first option, descend (if you have air traffic and obstacle clearance) as a second option and turnback as the least suitable.

There are sound thermodynamic reasons for climbing into the warm rain - you get a quicker clearance of ice from the airframe. The source we use is the Handbook of Aviation Meteorology - check pages 138 and 136

One feedback question we heard of gave "climb until clear of cloud" as an option, which is nonsense, as the cloud at a warm front goes up to FL300 and above. In that question they told you in the preamble that it was ok to descend, so the No 2 option became the No 1

I do not agree with Wickson, but hey, live like you wanna live, it's a free country

Dick W

Rote 8
17th Jul 2002, 13:19
Thanks Dick

You see I was paying attention!