PDA

View Full Version : United Bird Strike and Engine Fire

AmericanFlyer
2nd Jun 2017, 13:12
United Flight Returns To O?Hare For Apparent Engine Fire « CBS Chicago (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/06/01/united-flight-ohare-international-airport-engine-fire/)

EDLB
2nd Jun 2017, 13:38
Wonder why they removed the ATC tape. Response from the pilot was perfect, short and clear. May be someone has another source for the tape.

llondel
2nd Jun 2017, 20:07
From that report:

In the last five years alone, between O’Hare and Midway airports, the FAA reports nearly 1,500 bird strikes.

Would a price tag of a billion dollars on that be reasonable? That's assuming they all landed safely, too. Cost of loss of flight, plus aircraft out of service while the engine is fixed, plus cost of fixing/replacing the engine must add up to a fair bit. It's almost one incident a day.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jun 2017, 20:22
A bird strike does not necessarily involve an engine.

framer
3rd Jun 2017, 06:36
I've had a few but only one that required more than an inspection ( radome damage).

pontifex
3rd Jun 2017, 13:51
Many moons ago I had a multiple strike in an absolute max weight Victor tanker on rotate during a dawn take off at Marham. All four Saphires were damaged. Fortunately in those days the straight through engines were more tolerant of misuse and I was able to get it back in one piece. Apparently well over 100 gulls (which had reroosted on the warm concrete following bird scaring and a previous take off) were killed and the braking action was degraded by bird corpses. We got the job done though in a spare aircraft and did the paperwork when we got back a day or so later.

pa12 pilot
3rd Jun 2017, 16:24
1500 bird strikes at ORD and MDW over five years doesn't strike me as a large number considering the total number of operations over that period.

oldchina
3rd Jun 2017, 16:31
"1500 bird strikes at ORD and MDW over five years doesn't strike me as a large number"

pa12: It may not strike you, but it struck quite a few !

Amadis of Gaul
3rd Jun 2017, 22:13
I see what you did there.