PDA

View Full Version : Concorde dangling the dunlops

Old New Bloke
12th Jul 2002, 10:28
My first post but only because "New Bloke" got lost during the last server move.

I saw Concord over Croydon yesterday at about 18:30 with the gear down. Heck of a racket as quite a bit of power was being used. Whats the gossip then?

Konkordski
12th Jul 2002, 10:31
It's called "landing"...an often-used procedure which aircraft adopt at the end of a flight.

The noise comes from devices called "engines" which assist the aircraft in completing its journey.

Croydon is located near Heathrow Airport, a favourite destination for Concorde flights. :D :D :D

Old New Bloke
12th Jul 2002, 10:41
For the pedants, It was pointing AWAY from Heathrow, it was at about 5/6000' and was NOT landing.

If it had been landing I wouldn't have asked the question now would I ?

Konkordski
12th Jul 2002, 10:41
Actually now that I think about it, isn't Concorde usually due in from NY at around 21:00 rather than 18:30?

Modification test flight?

gas path
12th Jul 2002, 10:52
Konkordski wins the prize for the correct guess:D

Old New Bloke
12th Jul 2002, 10:59
So that was it.

About a couple of hours later we saw another (same one?) going the same way (East) and about 2/3000' higher than the first.

Why wasn't the gear raised the first time it came over, would this be due to some tests that were being carried out?

We had a 20-over Cricket match yesterday evening so much of my time was spent spotting. I just added that as I don't want anyone to think I hang arond Croydon with my notebook:D

No comment
12th Jul 2002, 11:18
nothing wrong with croydon mate, actually, sorry, nothing right with croydon... mind you even when landing on 27 a/c may still pass over croydon at 3/4000ft heading east before they turn back to lhr...

Stan Sted
12th Jul 2002, 12:03
Old NB

I find it very difficult to concentrate on the game when playing cricket near an airfield or under a SID or STAR.

Only last week while playing at a lovely little Hertfordshire village a mile or so north of the approach to Luton, I must have spent as much time watching to see what aircraft types and companies were flying in as I spent searching the hedgerows for the sixes and fours that went whistling past me.

It could be psychological though: as a kid I was standing in the middle of a cricket square when a Hawker Hunter dived into the deck only 300 yards away after the pilot ejected at 12000ft or so.

Even since then I have looked up on hearing any type of aircraft engine - even when batting.

Despite this handicap when playing last week I got a few wickets and runs and did stop a few balls from being belted to the boundary.

essexeng
12th Jul 2002, 12:25
You lot leave Croydon alone!After all it's the home town of the mighty EAGLES![CPFC for those not educated in the finer points of english football!]

brockenspectre
12th Jul 2002, 12:34
It was a sheer joy for me who lives under the Biggin Stack to have a double-dose of Concorde at 1830-ish last night (and the night before 'cos I was walking the dog) as well as the later arrival (usually about 2125) - whatever the mod on the earlier flight it seemed a darn sight noisier than usual which is great because it meant that folks who are usually too daft to look at aircraft in flight actually did so!! YAY!!!

:D :D

Old New Bloke
12th Jul 2002, 12:37
Hi Stan

Yes I remember you telling me that, wasn't that the pitch that is now over the M25?

I ended up out 2nd ball to a dodgy lbw and 1 wicket off the last over (stumped off of a wide)

I still don't know why the gear would be down even if it was landing on 27. Surley the gear wouldn't be down until finals???

PPRuNe Pop
12th Jul 2002, 13:06
As a matter of fact ONB ;) I saw the same Concorde at 1812, but at Mitcham, quite close to Croydon. Indeed the gear was down and I saw it turn on to finals at about 14/18 miles.

BA 2 has been landing at 2105 (ish) but used to land at about 1720 (ish). The second JFK might just about be ready to start - maybe, PERHAPS!

Old New Bloke
12th Jul 2002, 14:38
Thanks for that Pop.

(I couldn't get my old name back no matter how I tried!!!!)

:( :( :(

NW1
12th Jul 2002, 16:26
All correct - it was G-BOAC fresh out from her airworthiness mods and on a shake-down flight - first time she'd had air under her wings since the grounding and great to have her back (now the earliest Conc. in service in order of production - #204). Well earned beer for all those engineers - thanks guys. The 002 would have arrived a couple of hours or so later on the temporary later timing.

The "regular" 002 timing (1725 local arrival LHR) should resume in August (as will a weekend BGI schedule for that month), the late schedule being necessary to avoid nightstopping an airframe in JFK until we have enough back in service, 'AC should provide that when her release to service is complete.

As for double daily - we're still waiting on the decision, but in should be in the forseeable...... G-BOAB will take G-BOAC's place in the hanger....

twistedenginestarter
12th Jul 2002, 17:52
dangling the dunlops

That'll be the Michelin Dunlops...

InFinRetirement
12th Jul 2002, 18:48
Just a mixing the metaphors. Dangling the Michelins doesn't sound as good does it.

;)

luoto
13th Jul 2002, 08:17
OOI could they still build a new Concorde if they wanted to ? I.e. are all the bits 'commercially available' if not a bit old? Or would they need to use new bits that would require certification all over again ?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jul 2002, 15:43
I fell off the chair when I read the comment about it going the wrong way. Reminds me of a BA bloke some years ago.... heading 090 downwind for 27s. I said "24 miles from touchdown" he said "but my DME says 12 miles"... I said "but you're going the wrong way!

It would be unlikely in the extreme for a Heathrow inbound to be heading east over Croydon at 3-4000 ft. Maybe 4000, but even that would be unlikely.. more like 5-6000. We're not usually allowed to descend below 4000 ft until a/c are within 13nm of touchdown.

InFinRetirement
13th Jul 2002, 16:51
Ummmm..quite agree HD. I didn't notice that height assessment had been used, and I would agree that it was nearer 6000' - hard to be precise of course.

Still, the sight was all that mattered. :D

brockenspectre
13th Jul 2002, 18:50
All I know is that I wish the +/- 9.20pm arrival would make its turn onto LHR approach a little more westward so if I am not out I don't have to lean across my sink and half out of my kitchen window (to the curiosity of neighbours and folks passing by)!! OK so once she is heading 270 and beginning descent I can see her but she is too far away then!!!

So HD can you fix it for her northerly track prior to the turn be a mile more eastward please?!!

:D :D :D

MarkD
13th Jul 2002, 20:36
brockenspectre

Don't think you'll be the most popular person in the district - look at all these punters who think you should be able to buy a house under an airport approach and have the peace of the Lake District!

If there were some way of changing Conc's track a few miles north I wouldn't give a crap if all 200,000 in the greater Cork area complained :)

Have to suffice with hoping for an "A" seat ORK-LHR in three weeks to see the great bird parked as we're touching down... closest I'll get I reckon :(

What_does_this_button_do?
14th Jul 2002, 09:10
So where to we apply to walk around the hangar being used for G-BOAB when it's in for the re-fit?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Jul 2002, 16:11
Brokenspectre..... money could change hands I suppose???!!!
The actual approach path varies day by day but it is preferable for us to keep the circuit of the Concorde fairly tight so that it turns on to final approach 8-12 miles out.

brockenspectre
15th Jul 2002, 13:01
In that case HD if you'd just tighten that lil circuit by about 500metres that would be perfect and...would have the bird perfectly set up for you! :D :D

I am trying to "do the math" and think that 500metres tighter should mean I don't have to crane my neck over the kitchen sink :D

and, HD , as my bright idea should help ATC maybe we can waive the fee?? :D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2002, 07:01
brokenspectre... You're obviously a genius. Consider the fee waived!

brockenspectre
16th Jul 2002, 20:06
:D

::inspecting nails modestly:: <----- just kidding!

HD your next mission should you choose to accept it is to get rid of this darn cloud cover which is going to interfere with my cunning plan to view concorde from kitchen window without craning neck!!! :D :D

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jul 2002, 07:00
...Thinking of Grandson's forthcoming birthday (thinks: have I ruined a potentially beautiful friendship???)....

Who do you think I am, brokenspectre, Michael Fish??!! I hope you saw Conc last evening? Of course we've yet to mark your house on our radar but it must have got close...

brockenspectre
17th Jul 2002, 20:39
Heathrow Director unfortunately cloud last night and tonight meant I barely heard the supersonic lady but I live in hope! I live in Beckenham and if I could I would fix it so my apartment is "painted" on your radar! :D

Trinity 09L
19th Jul 2002, 15:13
Last night, glass of wine in hand in the garden, and Concorde overflys to land on 09L, a blissfull summer evening, what noise just cheers!!!:)

brockenspectre
20th Jul 2002, 20:06
YAY!!!!!!! The turn is near perfect Heathrow Director as I sit here with glass of fizzy wine in hand, I heard the familiar sound, looked up and saw "her" beginning the descent to LHR about 10mins ago or so!

Whether you or anyone else has had a hand in this I really don't know but ... things are getting better and my neck appreciated the no-craning tonight!! Thank you!!! :D :D

foghorn
20th Jul 2002, 20:37
HD,

If you're taking requests, now that you've pinpointed brokenspectre's place, just let her go a couple of miles further downwind to my house in Bromley before turning base :D:D:D

brockenspectre
21st Jul 2002, 13:29
foghorn ::clearing throat:: NO!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Beckenham...if you extend the downwind I won't see/hear the lady..grrrrrrrrrrrrr quite apart from the fact that a turn over me means that she has the neatest lil turn for 27 which is what Heathrow Director and ATC is aiming for!! :D :D

foghorn
21st Jul 2002, 16:50
Surely it should still pass over your place downwind before turning base over Bromley?

HD?

brockenspectre
21st Jul 2002, 17:20
Yes, foghorn, you are probably right but...as I am greedy enough to wish to see the downwind-base-finals curve of the lady, she has to be turning finals westward of me in Beckenham!! :D

P.S. I do realise that aircraft ops has nothing to do with my wishes but...one can but hope!! :D

canberra
24th Jul 2002, 18:02
not many people know that the raf borrowed g-bsst in the late 70's. we used it to simulate backfires attacking the uk from the atlantic. on the subject of dropping catches due to aircraft, i dropped one when a gnat flew over our school after doing a pd at warton.

PAXboy
24th Jul 2002, 19:06
Dear H.D.,

As it appears that you can now bend flight paths (not to mention the system) for the benefit of Ms BS ....

I think that we have the ideal way to fix the noise pollution problem AND the shortage of cash for NATS.

Anyone should be able to chose to have their own private air show! Upon payment of the correct amount, an entire morning/afternoon's worth of flights will be routed overhead!

This deals with noise pollution as everyone gets an even amount of it and no one can claim to suffer from Airport Blight, because everyone will have it ;)

Those able to pay more, can have larger aircraft on display, with special rates for The Lady herself, of course. :p

When business is quiet, you could run 'specials' like throwing in a Tupolev or something. Very popular will be the Mystery Package, when you will not know what you are getting until it arrives.

Not to mention that, when I pay for my special display with my AmEx card - just think of all the frequent flyer miles I shall earn, all without moving from the garden :cool:

(Whaddayamean "How many brandies have I had?" You impudent puppy, bring me another!)

Select Zone Five
8th Nov 2002, 15:38
I realise I'm around 3 months late for this discussion but I'd like to thank whoever picked the standard LHR Concorde approach...it always flies directly over my house (at around 1700) before turning northwest-ish for the ILS :D Makes me v.happy :D

Very accurate HD and co. :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Nov 2002, 16:30
Zone5... sorry to disapppoint but there ISN'T a "standard" approach for Concorde! It's radar-vectored like everything else. There was a "standard" approach for it about 25 years ago but it was dispensed with fairly quickly and all approaches are now radar-controlled. It's pure coincidence that it flies close to your house so often.

Skipness One Echo
9th Nov 2002, 11:39
Anyone know if Alpha Alpha will ever fly again? Hope someone is looking after the old girl.....:( :(

steamchicken
11th Nov 2002, 12:01
Speaking of dropped catches due to a/c, when I were a lad in the scouts, we camped near York one summer. One day, my patrol leader was about to use the camp ****ter when....two C130s passed over extremely low....and he fell in!