PDA

View Full Version : What could fly AT FL660?

Sidestick_n_Rudder
2nd Jun 2017, 09:13
There I was fat dumb and happy, flying across southern Japan at FL 400, when I saw a contrail waay above us. Then I heard someone (with an American accent) asking for a block of airspace between FL600 and FL660. What could possibly fly that high? The only plane I can think of is a U2. Do these fly yet? What else could that be?

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jun 2017, 09:22
From wiki

In late 2014, Lockheed Martin proposed an unmanned U-2 version with greater payload capability, but the concept did not gain traction with the USAF. In early 2015, the USAF was directed to restart modest funding for the U-2 for operations and research, development, and procurement through to FY 2018. The former head of the USAF Air Combat Command, Gen. Mike Hostage helped extend the U-2S to ensure commanders receive sufficient intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) coverage; stating "it will take eight years before the RQ-4 Global Hawk fleet can support 90% of the coverage of the U-2 fleet. Although the RQ-4 is planned to replace the U-2 by 2019, Lockheed claims it can remain viable until 2050.

As an aside, I Googled 'U2' and just got page after page about some bloody Irish pop group :*

Aynayda Pizaqvick
2nd Jun 2017, 09:33
The clue will be in how this gentleman sounded over the radio. In my experience the U2 guys have quite a distinctive sound when they transmit on the radio owing to their unique aircrew equipment; if he sounds like he is transmitting in a pressurised suit then likely U2, if not then likely RQ-4. Raptor could probably get there too and are in Japan, but can't imagine they would enjoy messing around in the block.

Sidestick_n_Rudder
2nd Jun 2017, 09:50
Thanks guys. The guy sounded normal, so perhaps it was an RQ4. I also thought of a Raptor, but my F/O was ex-FJ and said that while these could theoretically get there, there's no reason in doing so...

Davef68
2nd Jun 2017, 09:56
Re the U2 retirement (https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/05/23/air-force-kills-retirement-date-u-2-spy-plane/)

https://www.dodbuzz.com/2017/05/23/air-force-kills-retirement-date-u-2-spy-plane/

The U2s are based in Korea at Osan, so more likely to be an RQ4 out of Yokota Air Base

noflynomore
2nd Jun 2017, 09:58
NASA's WB57s are more than capable of that too, and as (ahem!) "Weather Research" aircraft they are uniquely equipped for taking pictures of "weather" rockets are in one piece or not at great altitudes. U2s are optimised to look down, not up. And who is contentiously firing off rockets into the Sea of Japan?
Just a wild guess though, but I suspect not entirely unfeasible.

chevvron
2nd Jun 2017, 12:17
Back about 12 years ago, I often watched traffic routing northbound over the London area indicating FL660 on mode C; always assumed they were TR1s/U2s bound for Mildenhall.

Sandy Parts
2nd Jun 2017, 13:06
standby for the old story:
"DragonLady requesting FL 600"
ATC - "If you can get there, you can have it"
"DragonLady, roger, descending...."
:)

ORAC
2nd Jun 2017, 13:33
I once handed over a Lightning to Midland Radar on the edge of the dive arc, VFR, for a fuel priority recovery. "Throw him across to Stud 4", says he.

I just neglected to add that he was VFR above the MRSA descending through about FL660*.

Wasn't very happy the next time I spoke to him......

(* MRSA at the time, IRRC went up to FL600. Lightnings were in their last few weeks and every one was doing high speed runs and pulling to go ballistic to see how high they could go.....)

High Average
2nd Jun 2017, 14:30
Some years ago whilst sat in the mighty Nimrod in Oman eating doughnuts, I mean conducting my pre-flight checks, I heard an Omani chap on UHF Guard saying "unknown aircraft in position xyz, FL600, identify yourself". Nothing was heard so he said "unknown aircraft I will send my aircraft to intercept you unless you identify yourself". Again nothing was heard. I looked out of the window and gazed at the Jaguars on QRA. Good luck with that I thought......

sitigeltfel
2nd Jun 2017, 18:32
As the RQ4 is unmanned, wouldn't any comms between its controller and ATC be made over a landline? :confused:

Just This Once...
2nd Jun 2017, 20:06
I think phoning multiple ATC agencies would confuse them somewhat, even if you get past the 'Push 1 to speak to our next available assistant'. Best to stick with the radio and talk to them as per normal.

360BakTrak
2nd Jun 2017, 20:12
As the RQ4 is unmanned, wouldn't any comms between its controller and ATC be made over a landline? :confused:

Nope; they still communicate 'normally'. I've spoken to a couple in the ME northwest of UAE. Presume via satellite to a high-tech shed in Arizona or somewhere!

alfred_the_great
2nd Jun 2017, 20:25
I've warned one on guard in the Indian Ocean - I don't who was more surprised, him or me!

tarantonight
2nd Jun 2017, 21:19
From wiki

As an aside, I Googled 'U2' and just got page after page about some bloody Irish pop group :*

Now - they are good........

Wensleydale
2nd Jun 2017, 21:36
As an aside, I Googled 'U2' and just got page after page about some bloody Irish pop group

Close to the Edge of the envelope?

Get me some traffic
2nd Jun 2017, 23:37
Back in the early 70s, PR9s from Malta to Gan often filed high 500s and asked for climb as they burnt off fuel. What did they get to??

SASless
2nd Jun 2017, 23:49
Back in the early 70s, PR9s from Malta to Gan often filed high 500s and asked for climb as they burnt off fuel. What did they get to??

Gan I hope!

binbrook
3rd Jun 2017, 10:33
Some decades ago, when there was no-one above FL400 except us, the few crews sent over the N Atlantic cruise-climbed anyway, and when the F89s out of Goose intercepted they could only look up.

scorpion63
3rd Jun 2017, 10:52
Gan I hope!

But not in one hop!!

pontifex
3rd Jun 2017, 13:59
An SR71 could do it (and much more)

kaitakbowler
3rd Jun 2017, 22:58
There I was fat dumb and happy, flying across southern Japan at FL 400, when I saw a contrail waay above us. Then I heard someone (with an American accent) asking for a block of airspace between FL600 and FL660. What could possibly fly that high? The only plane I can think of is a U2. Do these fly yet? What else could that be?

Concorde, with a glass of fizz of course.

parabellum
4th Jun 2017, 01:46
Back about 12 years ago, I often watched traffic routing northbound over the London area indicating FL660 on mode C; always assumed they were TR1s/U2s bound for Mildenhall

FL660 over North London for Mildenhall would have made for an interesting descent profile? Or do they go more or less overhead and then descend like a brick, with no cabin to worry about?

Chris Kebab
4th Jun 2017, 11:42
https://www.rt.com/news/386875-global-hawk-drone-japan/

chevvron
4th Jun 2017, 12:08
FL660 over North London for Mildenhall would have made for an interesting descent profile? Or do they go more or less overhead and then descend like a brick, with no cabin to worry about?

Yes I wondered about that, but someone told me they go over the North Sea to descend; anyhow they were heading in the general direction of Mildenhall.

ORAC
4th Jun 2017, 12:45
Get clear of the MRSA and do a "falling leaf" descending spiral, ideally in a pre-booked danger area near their destination. e.g. East Anglian Military Training Area MTA B.

http://www.mantma.co.uk/pdf/eg_enr_6_5_1_1_en.pdf

NavyNav2
4th Jun 2017, 19:33
Reminds me of a story I once heard about an ASCOT callsign on a pond crossing hearing an unknown
callsign asking Shannon Oceanic if FL600 was available. The controller replied (somewhat sarcastically) 'yes of course sir, if you can make it, it's all yours', to which the reply came "Roger this is xxxx leaving FL650 for FL600". Reckon it was an aurora?

unclenelli
4th Jun 2017, 20:59
This used to bug me in my area radar days in UK
"Request service above FL600" = RADAR Control (back in the day) = avoidance of EVERY non-sqkr!

If they said:
"Request service above FL660" = FIS (back in the day) = forget about them, once identified and Sqking NMC

chevvron
5th Jun 2017, 10:08
Reminds me of a story I once heard about an ASCOT callsign on a pond crossing hearing an unknown
callsign asking Shannon Oceanic if FL600 was available. The controller replied (somewhat sarcastically) 'yes of course sir, if you can make it, it's all yours', to which the reply came "Roger this is xxxx leaving FL650 for FL600". Reckon it was an aurora?
Sorry but 'Sandy Parts' already did thet one at #8.

kintyred
6th Jun 2017, 14:50
From wiki

Ah, the mighty Bono jet

YellowTom
6th Jun 2017, 18:40
Some are confusing how the RQ-4 flies with the MQ-9. Global Hawk isn't "flown" by a pilot, it follows a set of instructions about what it needs to do - there's no regular flight controls. Also unlike the Predators all of it's flight crew are in the same region whereas the Preds/Reapers have both a local and a remote flight crew.

DC10RealMan
6th Jun 2017, 19:02
I recall the Oceanic Clearance for both British Airways and Air France Concorde fleets across the Atlantic was to cruise climb from Flight Level 440 up to Flight Level 660.

Not bad for a fifty year old commercial airliner and none of this rolling up and down military aerobatic nonsense either!

Liffy 1M
6th Jun 2017, 21:49
I recall the Oceanic Clearance for both British Airways and Air France Concorde fleets across the Atlantic was to cruise climb from Flight Level 440 up to Flight Level 660.

A cruise-climb to FL590 or maybe FL600 is the maximum I ever heard in several years of hearing them send position reports on HF.

DC10RealMan
7th Jun 2017, 08:10
The clearance was up to FL660 but the Concorde's never flew above FL600 in case of depressurization "issues"

ORAC
7th Jun 2017, 18:47
The clearance was up to FL660 but the Concorde's never flew above FL600 in case of depressurization "issues"

I was at 280SU in Cyprus when the Lebanese civil war kicked off in the mid-1970s, at the time Concorde flew south of Cyprus out to Bahrain.

The day came after the war started that Concorde entered the Nicosia FIR enroute and announced, as normal, Concorde xxx at xxx, Fl560, expecting xxx at time xxx".

"Roger", replied Nicosia, "Beirut FIR is closed, descend to FL370, set stepped xxx knots and route xxx, xxx, xxx" (left turn just before Lebanon, north, then right turn and subsonic transit over Syria).

"Wait", says Concorde, and presumably has a conflab in cockpit about fuel etc. Two minutes later a cut glass British accent comes back on the air. "Nicosia, Concorde xxx. Be advised, Beirut airspace closure does not affect Concorde operations. I have my destination in sight. Climbing FL620 and and going VFR above, good day" - and duly climbed above the then Nicosia, Beirut and Saudi FIRs and flew a direct line to his destination - at least till he left our radar and RT cover.

wub
7th Jun 2017, 19:01
I too was at 280 at that time and well remember seeing Concorde leaping across the 'font' for the first time on its way to Bahrain.