PDA

View Full Version : More attention for CASA's RPL?

bloodandiron
31st May 2017, 01:59
25 hours with some time in controlled airspace/airport + BAK exam/PPL exam + 5 hours XC. Minimum age 16. Essentially the same as the RPC except you can fly aircraft up to 1500kg that are VH registered, can get CSU, TW, MPPC, Seaplane endorsements. Get a class 2 and you can carry as many passengers as you want.

Correct me anywhere if I'm wrong, but with all the above in mind I don't understand why this isn't a more popular licence choice! 30 hours and you can have the same privileges as a PPL.

KRviator
31st May 2017, 02:11
Almost the same privileges...

No flying above 1500Kg MTOW
No NVFR
No IMC
No Turbine engine
No rocket engine :eek:

jonkster
31st May 2017, 03:09
I would be worried about the navigation and procedural skills of the average low time pilot if they only had a grand total of 5 hours training covering navigation and controlled airspace operations.

Is only 5 hours training required for an RPL to exercise similar navigation privileges to a PPL?

If so, what is the reasoning here?

This would be less than the typical hours a PPL student would have before being allowed to go on their first solo nav training exercise.

At that point most PPL students are still a way off completing their nav training and will still be lacking skills handling trickier diversions, low level nav and lost procedures etc.

Seems odd.

Cloudee
31st May 2017, 04:53
People need to get their facts straight. To get a navigation endorsement on your RPL you need 5 hours of solo nav before being tested. So you have to do all of the training required to be sent solo before this can happen.