PDA

View Full Version : C208B P2 time

canileb
12th Jul 2002, 07:32
Hi!

I am a FAA commercial licence holder flying in Africa on the C208B. My company operates a 2-crew environment, whereby each pilot flies a leg in the left seat, with the other pilot acting as copilot. South African law allows us to log that P2 time in the total time and even allows us to use 25% of that time for ATP requirements. What's the FAA stand on this? Will I be able to use that time towards my ATP or is it worthless?

Thanks!

weasil
14th Jul 2002, 03:20
This is a big issue in the USA and repeatedly comes up.

The second pilot is referred to as the SIC in a 2 crew aircraft. However you must not log SIC time unless the aircraft you are in specifically requires a two pilot crew. For example... flying right seat on a King AIr and logging SIC time is no good because a King AIr is certified for single pilot operations.

I'm not sure how this applies to your issue however because You are flying under are different country's regulations. In the US you are allowed to count some SIC time toward the ATP requirement but only if it is logged according with the US guidelines I believe.

Weasil

canileb
14th Jul 2002, 16:13
Thanks a lot for your reply,

according to Part 135 of the South African regulations, we are to operate 2-crew so I have made copies of both the CAA regulations and the SOPs to show the FAA. I guess it is a confusing issue because a friend of mine called the FAA at my request and they told him they would count that time!

I'll see when I go before the examiner...

Cheers,