PDA

View Full Version : Merlin HM2 / Crowsnest

29th May 2017, 13:00
I've just finished a pleasant BH lunchtime reading an interesting article on the Merlin HM2 / Crowsnest combination, which if it does as it says on the tin should be a significant enhancement over the current capability. However, I've just done a rough calculation on what I know of present and future tasks and to me the numbers don't add up once an additional 6 - 9 airframes are deployed on board one of the HMS Queen Elizabeth class. Is there a cunning plan to increase the numbers in the fleet above thirty or will some current "important" tasking get ditched? Finally, although I can see the logic of all the airframes being Crowsnest capable I just cannot invesage one having its role equipment changed once embarked and deployed?

Mechta
29th May 2017, 13:07
A while back LM were talking about having the option to operate Crowsnest unmanned. Has that been dropped, or is it still on the cards?

Heathrow Harry
29th May 2017, 18:02
I suspect a lot of capabilities will be downgraded/cancelled once we try and build a functioning UK Carrier Battle Group

It will stretch ships, aircraft personnel and cash beyond the limit

alfred_the_great
30th May 2017, 08:43
I've just finished a pleasant BH lunchtime reading an interesting article on the Merlin HM2 / Crowsnest combination, which if it does as it says on the tin should be a significant enhancement over the current capability. However, I've just done a rough calculation on what I know of present and future tasks and to me the numbers don't add up once an additional 6 - 9 airframes are deployed on board one of the HMS Queen Elizabeth class. Is there a cunning plan to increase the numbers in the fleet above thirty or will some current "important" tasking get ditched? Finally, although I can see the logic of all the airframes being Crowsnest capable I just cannot invesage one having its role equipment changed once embarked and deployed?

Tasks will have to be stopped.

tucumseh
30th May 2017, 09:44
if it does as it says on the tin should be a significant enhancement over the current capability

Over 27 years after many of the ASaC Mk7 equipment specs were written, I should hope so!

ORAC
30th May 2017, 20:43
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/userdata/images/large/PRODPIC-694.jpg

tucumseh
31st May 2017, 04:43
Nice one ORAC. Eye-wateringly expensive, as was avionics of the day! Interestingly, the Critical Design Review for the new radar transmitter was held that month, on the 22nd, the day Maggie resigned.

Martin the Martian
7th Jun 2017, 10:38
I've heard a few mutterings (of the my friend's brother's best mate kind) recently about the Navy looking at a single Merlin MOB and combining both fleets. With MDMF at Culdrose and several empty hangars it would make some sense to put the CHF in there from a logistics point of view, but on the other hand could the pingers be accommodated at Yeovilton?

Any thoughts?

polyglory
7th Jun 2017, 17:22
Cats and traps on the Carriers would have sorted a hell of a lot out and not just being type bound one one aircraft/Helo

HEDP
7th Jun 2017, 19:38
Surely there will be too many Apaches accommodated at Yeovilton once the Merlins consolidate at Culdrose.....