PDA

View Full Version : Don't refer or give agencies information for free!

CaptainJim
27th May 2017, 14:23
I was recently asked by the agency I was on contract with if I knew any fellow Captains who would also be interested in joining. I said yes and asked what the referral fee was. He told me there was no referral fee, noticeably surprised I informed him that it wasn't industry standard and it led to an awkward "Im your best friend buy you a pint" pitch as I walked away.

It is not in my economic interest to help airlines recruit pilots due to the basic economic concept of supply and demand unless possibly if the airline is going bankrupt.:ugh: I generally do like dealing with small agencies as they are desperate for your business and don't ask for as much paperwork like the large agencies. In some cases I can even get them to fill the paperwork out for me. I also love the way they claim to be experts at selecting and sourcing pilots since they have aviation experience involving semi-skilled jobs at best.

Agencies are in most cases are just an extension of the airline's HR department and will never be neutral. This Mickey Mouse agency in question has aspirations to be the next PARC and acted like my boss but I saw it as quite the opposite. They want to be my boss slash multi millionaires and they want me to help them to my own detriment for :mad: free. Another friend of mine was asked by his large Irish agency to give details on the simulator assessment, again for free and he too told them where to go. They fit the precise definition of parasites.

I'm a 10 year veteran with various types and heavy time yet they treat you like a cadet, it really is :mad: frightening. I know cadets will sell their mother for a right seat Pay2Fly Caravan job in Durkadurkastan but I'm long passed any honey moon phase and I am genuinely concerned about my future in this industry. Today there is a shortage of pilots and terms are no where near 20 years ago. What will happen if there is ever a surplus of pilots?

Please don't use the reputation argument as it's not that small an industry and agents will always come back for more because if they aren't sucking your blood they're starving. (They really do treat us like children)

Killaroo
27th May 2017, 15:49
Good points. And its not only the Agencies who carry on like this - I've become sick of seeing (mainly Asian airlines) adopt their patronising 'naughty schoolboy' tone to the highly experienced men and women they entrust with their multi million dollar aircraft, and the lives of hundreds of their passengers. It's even more sick making to witness the cowardly snivelling reaction of all too many 'commanders' (small 'c') to the snide words and intimidation of a few little pricks in their HR departments, and Flight Ops Management sections (who are, pathetically, themselves so-called 'pilots').
I'd bet my bottom dollar that not many other 'professionals' are as spineless and bullied as those in the aviation industry.