PDA

View Full Version : How to do a CV and get into bush flying

Flying Bean
12th Jul 2002, 06:05
This thread relates to flying in Africa so I have posted it on the

African Aviation Forum

so please go there to view and participate.
Cheers

Flying Bean
13th Jul 2002, 05:13
A PS to this post.
Get yourself a C206/C210 rating asap. No Charter company flies the small Pipers. But please note that it is very difficult to find a C206 for conversions in Africa. Loads are working here, but trainers are rare!!

mattpilot
13th Jul 2002, 05:28
It is also very difficult to find a SEL plane that needs a type rating :D :D :D

Last time i checked a C210/C206 were classified as "small airplanes" (less than 12500lbs MTOW), and they didn't have a jet engine :)

Btw, you could also go to Alaska. Here a link in the AOPA magazine i just got:

www.elliottbay.com/wildblue

doens't sound to bad if your a low timer with no job - international pilots can work for up to 3 years there.

Flying Bean
13th Jul 2002, 11:19
Ratings. Yes & No.
In most of Southern Africa you have to get a rating on EACH aircraft type.
So for example the move from C150 to C172 to C206 to C210 requires a written tech exam AND a couple of hours flying conversion by an instructor. This even applies with the move from C210 to C210 turbo. These exams/conversion flights are not arduous and can be done in a day, but be prepared.
I am not absolutely sure about this but I think if you have a British CPL with a C210 in your log bok endorsed by an instructor, then they accept this as a rating. I will have to check this with Zambian CAA

mattpilot
13th Jul 2002, 15:37
oh - i'm sorry, my mistake.

the word "rating" got me. Wouldn't it be better to just call them "endorsements", like they do here in the US?

Freak On A Leash
13th Jul 2002, 16:06
It works like an endorsement, but since you are checked out in a particular aircraft you are therefore "rated":confused:
Not to be confused with a type rating though...
And in some countries if you get checked out in a certain aorcrat, say a Cessna 210, you are automatically checked out in a Cessna 172 even though you may never have flown an hour in one.:eek:

Mattpilot, good link.Here`s another one;

www.fly-alaska.com

It gives you all the names and phone #`s of all operators in the state.

Anyone else got one?

mattpilot
13th Jul 2002, 17:45
http://www.fly-alaska.com/ .... doesn't work

i did a search on on MSN and found this link

http://www.flyalaska.com/ :D

Freak On A Leash
14th Jul 2002, 12:06
Jepp, that`s the one:)
Sorry guys, my bad:rolleyes: