PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito Night Fighters - Flt Lt M M Davison

reynoldsno1
12th Jul 2002, 02:08
My uncle was a Radar Nav on Beaufighters & Mosquitos during the 2nd World War. He was killed in an accident at Picauville, nr. Cherbourg in August 1944 (before I was born!).

He flew almost exclusively with Flt Michael Metcalfe Davison DFC & bar throughouit the war on both aircraft types. Davison appears in the book 'Aces High' with 12 kills. He survived the accident that killed my uncle.

Is there anyone out there who may know of Flt Lt Davison or any of his family who may be interested in an exchange of information regarding the war years?

LowNSlow
18th Jul 2002, 04:26
Try an advert in Aeroplane or Flypast magazines.

Also try the RAF Association and the Squadron Association.

I would do it sooner rather than later as these chaps are not getting any younger.

Good luck with your search.

Michael Young
16th Feb 2021, 14:50
Hi, Believe he was my Uncle, Mike Davison. My Father also flew Beaufighters. He married my Fathers Sister after the war.
[email protected]

pelyn
28th Jul 2022, 12:08
Mike Davison married my aunt Vallery. He was a keen golfer and an excellent pianist. They lived in Littlestone, New Romney. I visited them many times. Their daughter was born shortly before his death, (in the British Eagle Britannia crash at Innsbruck, 29th February 1964.)
He was a great guy who I liked and admired immensely .
I did not know about the incident at Picauville!! (There was a certain sadness about my uncle, maybe the incident was part of the cause!)
He flew for Sliver City on the Bristol Freighter, down at Lydd and took part in the Berlin Airlift.
He was awarded the DFC and Bar, 12 kills plus a V1 I think. (No doubt your dad had a huge part to play in his night fighter success!!)
Any info you have I would be grateful on your dad’s involvement with Uncle Mike during the war.
I became an airline pilot myself, (now retired thankfully, 22000 flying hours later!!!)
kind regards Peter

chevvron
29th Jul 2022, 07:31
They lived in Littlestone, New Romney. I visited them many times.

There was an airfield called 'Littlestone' just north of St Mary's Bay railway station; closed just prior to WW2 and built to serve the RFC originally and used as a div for Lympne after that having an elevation of 10ft amsl as opposed to the 340ft amsl of Lympne.
Don't know why it closed; possibly too small for Hurricanes and Spitfires?
Still open farmland to this day.

pelyn
29th Jul 2022, 12:20
I should have said Littlestone on Sea

chevvron
30th Jul 2022, 06:40
I should have said Littlestone on Sea
It's the same place.
The RFC Gunnery School originally used the golf course just north of Littlestone as their flying field but when the hutted camp was built, the airfield was 'moved' to St Mary's Bay but was still callled 'Littlestone'.
www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/kent-airfields/3959-littlestone?start=0
The camp itself has been built over since the '70s; the airfield was about half a mile to the north east and was built before the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.

reynoldsno1
13th Aug 2022, 03:00
Pelyn & Michael Young - Check your PMs