PDA

View Full Version : Monday..190 CX management jobs are to go immediately

jetjockey696
21st May 2017, 17:13
CATHAY PACIFIC FIRST :}:}

https://cdn3.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980x551/public/images/methode/2017/05/21/65af4910-3e06-11e7-8ee3-761f02c18070_1280x720_233040.jpg?itok=-4Pu8xK5"

Hong Kong?s Cathay Pacific to sack 600 staff amid major restructure | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2095127/hong-kongs-cathay-pacific-sack-600-staff-amid-major)

nzaviate
21st May 2017, 23:24
Cathay Pacific is to shed almost 600 staff in the biggest round of job cuts by Hong Kong's flagship airline in 20 years, the South China Morning Post has learned.
Employees will be told that 190 management jobs are to go immediately and that a further 400 non-management staff will be cut by mid-June.
The cuts are the first step in a three-year programme announced earlier this year aimed at turning around losses at the airline. They also mark the first major task overseen by new chief executive Rupert Hogg, who replaced Ivan Chu Kwok-leung earlier this month.
The airline business - comprising Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon - has been hemorrhaging cash, losing HK$3 billion ($555 million) in the past year.
The company as a whole lost HK$575m ($106.5m) in the year, with better performances in other areas of the business - such as catering and its shareholding in Air China - offsetting the poor results from the airline.
Losses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class.
Rising competition from Middle East carriers and state-owned Chinese airlines has also taken a toll, as has the high price the company has had to pay for fuel after failing to anticipate a collapse in the price of oil.
The first round of redundancies would take effect this week with an additional round of cuts due later in the summer, two sources familiar with the plan said. As many as 800 job cuts were initially being considered as late as last week, they said.
No department would be spared from the broad review of staffing costs, productivity and efficiency, which would affect all employee levels, the sources said.
The most senior and middle-ranking managerial posts would be targeted first before the lower-ranking posts in areas where duplication and overlap exist.
The job cuts will go some way to reaching a 30 per cent cost reduction target at the airline's Cathay City headquarters in Hong Kong, that was specified under the programme.
As a whole the programme aims to save the company HK$4b over the three-year period.
One of the airline's major shareholders, Air China, has described the plan as "feasible".
Not since the era of the Asian financial crisis has Cathay Pacific cut so many staff in one swoop. In 1998, the airline dismissed about 800 employees.
Cathay employs 19,000 people based in Hong Kong. Not counting frontline staff, including pilots and cabin crew, that leaves 3,000 employees in a variety of head office functions.
Cathay declined to comment on the number of job losses.
"We announced recently that we are creating a new management structure, to be leaner, faster and better. But outside of what we have announced, no changes have been made yet," a spokeswoman for the airline said.
"There will be changes and, in due course, we will talk about them publicly. However, at the moment, our priority is talking with our people."
Savings from staff costs - HK$19.7b last year - could be tricky with the airline expected to add 1,300 cabin crew this year, while cutting management and costs at its headquarters.

From the NZHerald - 22-05-2917

Trafalgar
22nd May 2017, 02:07
I sometimes think the best thing would be to put this airline out of its misery. Shut it down. Although disruptive, it would probably result in hundreds, if not thousands of our pilots actually finding countries, careers and lives that would be happier, healthier and ultimately more satisfying. This airline corrodes the souls of most who stay here (ask me how I know....), and I am certain that, knowing what I now know, if I could go back to the early 90's again, I would have packed my bags and ran, not walked, to the nearest first-world country and established my career there. This airline has now reached rock bottom, and it will prove to be a graveyard of career hopes and aspirations. My 2c worth...

Yonosoy Marinero
22nd May 2017, 02:24
It's a Monday Morning Massacre...

Rumor has it Kitty City was in lockdown this morning, with busses ready to take home the poor jobless chaps and lasses who were unlucky enough to find an envelope on their desk upon clocking in.

Is anybody there to confirm?

My sympathies are with them. It can't feel very good being fired by those who ruined the company in the first place through irresponsible strategic decisions.

Not to twist the knife, but the savings they aim to make from the payroll by cutting so many heads is about hkd 4bn... Or about half of what they waste every year on their failed fuel hedge.
:mad:

The Visionary
22nd May 2017, 02:53
Traf, I have been thinking the same thing. It's what is humane and you would do to a sick dog rather than see it suffer. This dog has cancer.

Today, is the beginning of the end. The next will be a sell off of assets. The management team of this company put us in this position and will now be taking it out on others. It will backfire on them. It will draw the ire of so many people in Hong Kong. This doesn't just affect 600 people but their families and friends. This company never realizes the consequences of their actions but I believe will this time.

If the CAD approves anything these morally and ethically corrupt people do then F*** the CAD!Enough already with CAD giving this company Carte blanche. It's unbelievable how much this company had gotten away with and continues to do so.

IT'S TIME TO LEAVE!

FU AT

The Visionary
22nd May 2017, 03:08
It's a shock and awe campaign and I am afraid we will be next. They will attack our COS, housing, benefits, etc...If you fight, and we all must fight together or leave together, then you will be terminated I believe. Now some may see this as alarmist but it's what they do.

I give the airline two years and it will fold. The announcement today about the freighter operation, means they will be selling it off shortly. Europe freighter flying will be going in 2018 which means more bases will shut. Housing will go and you can come to HKG on the new package or be made redundant. It will solve their crewing problems. Old timers will be given a leave package. The airline will be filled with rather inexperienced people and then the accident will happen and game over. We are getting closer every fleet news letter.

The other thing is our passengers will loose faith and trust in the airline. Watching Bloomberg now and the news does not come over well. Watch the Friday newsletters for how bad our load factor goes. Then it will be "We need to do more"!

Folks, I hate to say this but it's OVER! Grab that life boat and get off Titanic!

FU RH

The Visionary
22nd May 2017, 03:15
Hong Kong Airlines group will be glad for its new employees and their intimate knowledge of the Cathay systems. TTW CX

Not to mention the fanatical sense of injustice that will accompany them to HKA. Another 'own-goal' in the making by CX. The tragicomedy continues.

These,which are posts from another thread, are well said. Also, I would think staff at the airport might not be in the best mood today which will affect passengers. Keep in mind that a lot of families work at the airline and one may be employed while another gets sacked or possibly an entire family, say husband and wife, get sacked.

FU JS

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 03:19
This is what happens when a corporate entity exists solely to serve those at the top of the hierarchy. Employees, customers, shareholders and the general public are a secondary consideration to that of self-justifying higher management salaries and bonuses. They have well and truly killed the golden goose, and I fear that the airline has been structurally weakened to such an extent that the only future is one of shrinking size, layoffs, cuts and excuses, and ultimately either complete failure or at best bought out by a competitor (HKA?). If anyone here has the chance of a career nearly anywhere else, take it. I believe this will prove to be the turning point for a once great airline that has sadly been driven into the ground by greed, avarice, arrogance, incompetence and willful negligence.

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 03:26
It's quite stunning how incompetent our current management are. It's like watching an incestuous inbred family wonder why they have mentally retarded offspring. That is the Swire corporate philosophy. Because they only promote from within, they have lost the ability to think outside the box. They believe they are 'smarter' than those around them, in spite of nearly EVERY decision over the past decade being either illegal, ill-conceived, naive or laughably foolish (just ask the hedging company what they thought when CX signed the contract!). Because Swire have ultimate control of the company, they will not be able to accept that it is in fact they and their 'Princes' (:yuk:) that have in fact brought ruin to the company, it's employees and their families. It makes me sick to have watched this unfold. They should hang their heads in shame. I imagine not a single one of them is showing their faces at CX city today.

Freehills
22nd May 2017, 03:28
from the press release:

The majority of affected employees will be informed of changes or a cessation to their role today and over the next month, with most of the restructuring completed by the end of 2017. While no frontline employees, pilots or cabin crew will be affected by today’s announcement as the airlines continue to grow, they will be also be asked to deliver greater efficiencies and productivity improvements, in line with the rest of the organisation. Cathay Pacific will continue to invest in its frontline capabilities to deliver high-quality products and services to its customers.

Freehills
22nd May 2017, 03:35
And one of the directors who actually tried to make a difference, and allegedly was unhappy with the direction of TTW has now been re-organised out.

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 03:39
Haha. They will 'ask' me for 'greater efficiencies and productivity'!!. How about you fix your own failures, prejudices and inadequacies first? Every single problem in this airline is due to the epic failure of management. The pilots are hardworking, competent and loyal. It is the transient Swire grifters that have caused this decades long decline. Own that. And btw, I seem to recall being promised 25 yr housing the last time you came to me for 'productivity'. We gave you the productivity and you reneged on your side of the deal. The first requirement of ANY healthy relationship is trust. Guess what the management of this airline destroyed long ago? This company is doomed, and it's best that we all understand that as of today. And btw, I am truly relishing this fight, as I am personally disgusted, angry and fed up with the cabal of managers that have caused this disaster. Bring-it-on.

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 03:42
Hmm. I suspect that your comment of 'we' is actually 'you'. You are not a CX employee, and are only trying to take a dig. Obvious and transparent.

Average Fool
22nd May 2017, 03:51
They will ask, We will say no (rightfully so), and that will be the catalyst to shrink the airline. All our fault.

Once again, the pilots want to hurt the company.

Yonosoy Marinero
22nd May 2017, 03:54
I think this is not repeated enough:

All of this drama is just grandstanding to distract from the FACT that this airline would have made close to US$ 1 BILLION in profits if it wasn't for a disastrous fuel hedging decision.

But management has to save face. So they blame competition, reducing yields, increasing operating costs, etc. Which are all true to an extent, but not enough to prevent this airline from making a profit, much less to excuse losing that much.

Any airline which faces difficulties will start looking to lean the operations side. If their woes were truly of a systemic nature, they would be deferring airplanes, closing down money-losing routes, consolidating frequencies on others, laying off operational staff (pilots and F/As) which cost a lot more than ground staff by their sheer numbers.

CX might be claiming they've encountered a bit of headwind, but the reality is that they are STILL receiving airplanes on schedule, they are STILL opening new routes, they are NOT laying off any of the operational staff since the airplanes are still flying and the punters are still coming, in fact they will be HIRING over 1000 flight attendants next year, and pilot recruitment continues unabated.

So far, all they've done is coming up with a corporate feel-good mumbo-jumbo that's very short on substance, and laying off office workers.

They might try as hard as they can to cover their massive f*ckup under lame excuses of increased competition, but the numbers and the facts do not lie.

This business would still be making money hand over fist if it wasn't for tragically poor decision from the upper levels of management, who don't seem to be willing to admit to any fault given how little the words 'fuel hedging' appear on any of the official communications, despite the fact that it is, by the very basic law of arithmetic, and by far the biggest burden on this airline.

In short, the employees and the shareholders are all paying for a massive management f*ckup despite what they are frantically trying to hide under a thick layer or bullcrap.
:D

Standby for bonuses all around.

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 04:00
I do wonder how they look themselves in the mirror. What must it be like to be engaged in a role where you know you are out of your depth, incompetent, arrogant and almost certainly making decisions that are self-aggrandizing, cynical and likely to hurt the majority of employees. Oh, I forgot, it's because you shuffle money into your own bank account at the cost of those who actually do their jobs properly.

cxorcist
22nd May 2017, 04:17
Great post YM! That pretty much sums it up.

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 04:26
And to add to YM's post: when the company comes looking for us to 'sacrifice' and produce concessions, remember what YM has just said; everything the company is telling you is distorted lies, it's all crap, every word of it. A strong resolve and an emphatic "NO". That is what you will get from us AT.

BubbaJ
22nd May 2017, 04:54
Well said Yonosoy:D

stilton
22nd May 2017, 05:03
Christ you had one really bad year, bad fuel hedging decisions seem mostly responsible. Look around the world though, for decades in the US for example all the major airlines barely stayed afloat and every one went through bankruptcy.

Billions and billions were lost.

Cathay is still sitting on a gold mine with one of the best locations in the world, a superb franchise and still a very good name, you're not going out of business.

A readjustment is necessary but the profits will be back I guarantee you.

Table For 1
22nd May 2017, 05:12
Hmmm...they even lie in their Press Releases...they just cannot help themselves.

I am sure there are 35 Pilots in Manchester whose lives are being very dramatically changed by these idiots decisions.:mad:

mngmt mole
22nd May 2017, 05:25
Stilton, you need to work here to appreciate just how malevolent and toxic the management of this airline are. Unless you do, best you simply ponder the comments of those of us who are subject to the chaos that their decisions bring.

wongsuzie
22nd May 2017, 05:30
Shilton.

Everything is relative.You are used to that re-curing crap -good for you.

On the other hand, we are Cathay.

Bob Hawke
22nd May 2017, 06:58
Even when they make money, they cry poor and hard done by. The only ones to benefit from the self induced delusional misery are the upper level managers - they get pay rises and bonuses on the backs of those that lose their jobs.

Starbear
22nd May 2017, 07:37
And even if these drastic steps are deemed to be truly necessary, they can still make a complete hash of actioning them. A constant drip feed of non information with very little detail and so leaving thousands still unsure of their future for many months to come.

The "management" have had a minimum of 5 months to come up with a plan and now they allegedly have it they are apparently not in a position to implement it in one single, albeit awful step and get on with it. I really hope soemone takes the opportunity to talk with the assembled media at CX today, never mind referring them (the media) to the clowns behind this tradgedy.

goathead
22nd May 2017, 10:36
Has anyone heard if any checkers have had the sack?

A-GPS
22nd May 2017, 10:39
My balance in stock finally rises by 3%, so sweet! I hope they can sack $ome more.

A-GPS
22nd May 2017, 10:42
staff being hired should prepare being un-hired.

rustyoldtin
22nd May 2017, 10:45
Has anyone heard of any changes to FOP or any prominent people gone?

Trafalgar
22nd May 2017, 12:45
a370. If you are not CX, then your comment is somewhat worthless. Only those intimately involved understand what has really gone down over the years. So, as they say, FO.

WingsAir
22nd May 2017, 14:16
So... 190 people gets fired and another 400 coming in June... that's almost 600 people and their families affected!!
pilots and flight attendants wont get annual bonuses this year because the airline suffered a loss (fair enough).
So how is it justified that the former CEO and current CEO and most of the management get over 10MIL HKD in their bonuses??
you give yourselves 10million dollars plus as a "pat on the back, job well done" while firing 30% of your company??

That's messed up

Trafalgar
22nd May 2017, 14:47
Messed up? No, that's obscene, but it is the result of obscene decisions by shameless and obscene people. As a matter of fact, there aren't words to accurately describe the abomination that is CX/Swire management.

Flex88
22nd May 2017, 14:53
"Losses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class."

What? Even the SCMP tows the CX BS (don't talk about the war) line !!

What about the BILLION's US$ in hedging losses, what about the 100's of MILLIONS US in fines for fines for price fixing/collusion etc. ?? The list goes on Ad nauseam !!

Head in the sand (deep)

Flex88
22nd May 2017, 15:01
I keep repeating this and I still 100% stand by it's premise.. from CEO's to Directors and certainly to FOP management ---

"The Peter Principle", Google it

Luggage
22nd May 2017, 15:05
I sometimes think the best thing would be to put this airline out of its misery. Shut it down. Although disruptive, it would probably result in hundreds, if not thousands of our pilots actually finding countries, careers and lives that would be happier, healthier and ultimately more satisfying. This airline corrodes the souls of most who stay here (ask me how I know....), and I am certain that, knowing what I now know, if I could go back to the early 90's again, I would have packed my bags and ran, not walked, to the nearest first-world country and established my career there. This airline has now reached rock bottom, and it will prove to be a graveyard of career hopes and aspirations. My 2c worth...

...but in the early 90's it was the airline of choice for pilots worldwide with massive pay packages...hard to predict what it would be like 25 years down the line.

Flex88
22nd May 2017, 15:35
Like I've said previously in another thread; I'll bet my last buck (Euro) that they will "technically" screw this process up and not use this opportunity to make CX a better and more profitable company.
Answer this, what is the most inefficient and continually mismanaged enterprise "world wide" , answer - pick ANY government entity. So what would they do in this scenario? They would lay these poor souls off in reverse seniority. What this means is they would NOT vet and keep the "best" and possibly brightest people and only and keep the most senior (entrenched) and possibly worst of the lot and likely the ones most responsible for the mismanagement and poor performance. Tell me I'm wrong !!

This is exactly what has happened to CX over the years - true from top to bottom..

A sad sad day....

frampton
22nd May 2017, 15:41
Shhh, Quiet. Hear that? Off in the distance? It's a Fat Lady singing.
Dan, that's not a nice remark about Adelle.

Flex88
22nd May 2017, 16:03
Like I've said previously in another thread; I'll bet my last buck (Euro) that they will "technically" screw this process up and not use this opportunity to make CX a better and more profitable company.
Answer this, what is the most inefficient and continually mismanaged enterprise "world wide" , answer - pick ANY government entity. So what would they do in this scenario? They would lay these poor souls off in reverse seniority. What this means is they would NOT vet and keep the "best" and possibly brightest people and only and keep the most senior (entrenched) and possibly worst of the lot and likely the ones most responsible for the mismanagement, decay and poor performance of the company. Tell me I'm wrong !!

This is exactly what has happened to CX over the years - true from top to bottom..

A sad sad day....

Flex88
22nd May 2017, 19:10
We all sit back and watch this plan unfold scoffing at the implied "sincerity" of these actions by management and of course they look at us and query our scepticism. I wonder why.
After "management" gets caught fixing prices and colluding with other airlines, guess who has to write an annual exam on bribery and corporate security issues? Certainly NOT the senior managers/directors responsible...

And yet, on the conflict of interest issue, guess who is the point person CX brought in to oversee this entire process. The spouse of an FOP Manager - no conflict of interest there right ??????? :=:=

Liam Gallagher
22nd May 2017, 20:34
"Losses have mounted due to cheaper airfares and a slump in the number of passengers travelling in business class."

Whoever wrote that hasn't studied very many Cathay loadsheets......

BlunderBus
22nd May 2017, 21:50
I think this is the end game. Death by degrees. I'll bet you that the 'takeover' of the company perfectly coincides with the fuel hedging conclusion. Staff will be released in large number blocks over time so the airline can function with what's left. They'll flip it for the 'slots and routes' value and walk away with the satisfaction that it will be the new owners who take the PR hit for shutting it down.

Trafalgar
22nd May 2017, 21:55
Oh, so that's your position: It HAS to be worse somewhere else, so we shouldn't complain. Again, what floor is your management office on? I'll drop by for a chat.

BlunderBus
22nd May 2017, 23:30
Despite the hype let's see how many 'senior' level managers and 'non expat terms' employees get the boot!! Perfect opportunity to remove all those pesky non locals !!

Farman Biplane
22nd May 2017, 23:38
Just because the front end seats are full on the Loadsheet does not mean they actually paid the fare for the seat. I am astounded at the number of "free" upgrades (especially DM) in this airline.

clear.right
23rd May 2017, 00:46
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

I can't believe they let some of you fly airplanes...

Get a grip.

Scoreboard
23rd May 2017, 02:35
We just looking small here.....our is one the few professions that hasnt/cant be outsourced or budgeted out or planes fall out of the sky or hit hills.

What we are experiencing what as upper middle class has been happening to all other businesses around the world for the last 15 plus years....managers get bonuses huge pay increases shareholders get paid (all be judas is what they are) and the staff have to work harder for less money for less benefits. You whine and you get painted as over paid spoilt bitches , and they wheel out how bad others have it like jetstar etc and stop complaining. Seriously stop with that bs to drag down our profession. Instead of lifting others its a race to the bottom for another profession.

Time to face it they will force a fight and we all sick of the bully so we will stand and noone will win, people will lose jobs the airline will suffer where it will end noone knows but yeah its over here at CX time to look elsewhere probably

oriental flyer
23rd May 2017, 04:20
So to put this in perspective , an individual or group of people in management make an imbecilic decision on fuel hedging and now hundreds of hard working office staff are loosing their jobs as a result . This is shocking hypocrisy at its very worst .
But because no one directly responsible for this mess has been held responsible , it does bring out the conspiracy theories , just who exactly was on the other side of the fuel hedging issue ?
Personally I think that the ICAC and a team of forensic accountants should already be delving very deeply into this

Michael Hunt
23rd May 2017, 04:43
So to put this in perspective , an individual or group of people in management make an imbecilic decision on fuel hedging and now hundreds of hard working office staff are loosing their jobs as a result . This is shocking hypocrisy at its very worst .
But because no one directly responsible for this mess has been held responsible , it does bring out the conspiracy theories , just who exactly was on the other side of the fuel hedging issue ?
Personally I think that the ICAC and a team of forensic accountants should already be delving very deeply into this

'Hard working office staff....'?
Let's not get carried away....

AQIS Boigu
23rd May 2017, 05:00

Try asking a simple question via email to benefits or the leave section.

It takes 1-2 weeks to get a reply.

Michael Hunt
23rd May 2017, 05:36
Oh and while we are on the subject. A heart felt message of sympathy from me to the handful of 3rd floor pilot managers who are set to lose there positions and return to line flying... Chin Up, you will all be missed.

wongsuzie
23rd May 2017, 06:24
To be fair this last week the phones were answered with 2 rings..

Sam Ting Wong
23rd May 2017, 06:45
Thank god we accepted the payrise and the housing deal, plus the HKPA improvement. Imagine to negotiate now! That would be such a pain, wouldn't it?

Now the deal will take us into 2019 when all the fuel hedge losses are gone.

So glad Trafalgar, Dan Buster, Cxorcist, mngmt mole, ah the list is too long.. so glad all these super bright and clever individuals active in this forum supported the deal.

Thank you!!

N1 Vibes
23rd May 2017, 07:20

When you next pick up the satcom because the #1 engine has shutdown, or one of your pax is suffering a heart attack.......somebody always answers.

Best Regards,

A Retired 'Office Worker'

Michael Hunt
23rd May 2017, 08:13
When you next pick up the satcom because the #1 engine has shutdown, or one of your pax is suffering a heart attack.......somebody always answers.

Best Regards,

And the next time you're sitting in the back of an aeroplane and it goes from A to B you will find a couple of pilots up the front.
What's your point?
I was referring more to our colleagues who are less than productive, squirrelled away somewhere in the back rooms of Kitty city warming seats or the 'cannot ' brigade who go out of there way to ensure that a relatively easy request turns into an absolute palava.

Sam Ting Wong
23rd May 2017, 08:18
Mr Hunt,

a bit confused.. just so simple minds like me understand it.ALL Cathay Managers are all useless ( silly rethoric question haha) AND all the office workers, plus of course the horrible cabin crew, we all know how terrible terrible our service is, right?
So, ONLY the pilots are the bright spot, correct? ( of course NOT including non-white c-scale pilots, and it goes without saying,management pilots,right?)

betpump5
23rd May 2017, 08:20
06:36
Oh and while we are on the subject. A heart felt message of sympathy from me to the handful of 3rd floor pilot managers who are set to lose there positions and return to line flying... Chin Up, you will all be missed.

Sympathy too for the guy serving the coffees on the street. Perhaps his clock is ticking too since 99% of his customers are those very same Pilot Managers who spend hours there 4-5 times a day, drinking away and patting each others backsides.

Sam Ting Wong
23rd May 2017, 08:23
Can we not just agree ONLY pilots are actually doing anything in this airline? Bloody free loaders, the rest. Shame!

Arfur Dent
23rd May 2017, 09:25
Put it this way STW ( AKA "The Management" Mk 2) - 190 pilots would be missed far more than 190 so called Managers. Obviously CX can do without them so why are they there?
Without half a dozen of them or so, we wouldn't have blown a fortune on spot price gambling- HEDGING!! Sorry - didn't mean to bring that up.

Sam Ting Wong
23rd May 2017, 09:30
I could not agree more.
We are the backbone of this airline!

Michael Hunt
23rd May 2017, 09:36
Mr Hunt,

a bit confused.. just so simple minds like me understand it.ALL Cathay Managers are all useless ( silly rethoric question haha) AND all the office workers, plus of course the horrible cabin crew, we all know how terrible terrible our service is, right?
So, ONLY the pilots are the bright spot, correct? ( of course NOT including non-white c-scale pilots, and it goes without saying,management pilots,right?)
Well,pilots are paid to get an aeroplane from A to B without crashing it, no matter the colour of your skin ,so we are holding up our end.
Cabin crew are paid to look after the safety and the wellbeing of the passengers. They are doing there bit.
Managers by definition are paid to manage the resources to make sure the business is profitable.... so are they holding up there end of the bargain?
As far as the service is concerned, is it as good as ten years ago? Probably not.
Does it need to be?
Depends where you want the airline to be in terms of Full Service or otherwise and what your competitors are offering.

A-GPS
23rd May 2017, 11:04
please fire more unless the stock share gives me 10% increase.

Farman Biplane
23rd May 2017, 11:11
The stock markets always know the truth, so perhaps it is all a contrived setup to reduce headcount?
Or, the short sellers are just building their books for the big crash and it will be TTW for them!

Flex88
23rd May 2017, 15:12
There you have it... easy. In little more than a few days voilą - we're now operating at the same cost per RPK as Air Asia. Spreadsheet types are ecstatic - all is well.:mad::mad:

DFO wins big bonus in the cost saving part of year end bonus....

Flex88
23rd May 2017, 18:03
As far as I know "all" level D managers at the FTS have been trashed and all training activities will now be under 1 FOP manager - I'll leave you to guess.
The person brings with them all the vast experience and knowledge garnered in being an "ex" brushwinger cadet and additionally tips and advice from daddy over the years.
As well, the person is schooled and has first hand experience and expertise in the art of bullying and threatening people as a standard method of coercion, a skill set that no doubt has impressed the DFO as a desirable trait.

Someone please play taps..

Flex88
23rd May 2017, 18:20
On IntraCX main page May 24

On almost the first line - Letter From Rupert saying sorry, have to fire 600 innocent folks.

Two lines down "Internal Vacancies"

The very definition of dysfunctional, crude and insensitive.. :yuk::yuk:

Trafalgar
23rd May 2017, 18:49
Michael. I'm sorry, but it's "paid", not "payed". Once I could ignore, twice....well, our management love to have evidence we are ill-educated and illiterate. Please, we all have access to an online dictionary. Use it. Thank you.

GTC58
23rd May 2017, 19:00
After HKCAD approval FOP will look different too. GMA, GMO and GMF will be gone, as well as DCP positions. I bet AT is also thinking its time for a new CP on the 777, that guy is way to soft for Swire.

Arfur Dent
23rd May 2017, 20:50
Michael -
"TheIr bit and theIr end of the bargain". Not there. Perhaps you should stop living up to your name Mike!

GTC58
23rd May 2017, 22:25
Forgot to mention, heard that after the restructuring is done CX will introduce a new product, the LCC (Low Cost Cabin) to compete with the LCC (Low Cost Carriers). Last rows in Y will be having less leg room, different service and catering then in Y at a lower fare price.

Near Miss
23rd May 2017, 23:39
No prizes then for guessing where they will have the ID and FOC ticket holders sit.

Natca
24th May 2017, 02:21

Best Regards,

Recently thats not quite accurite actually. Eng is good but the other bit read some of the other forum lines.

Starbear
24th May 2017, 10:26
As far as I know "all" level D managers at the FTS have been trashed and all training activities will now be under 1 FOP manager - I'll leave you to guess.
The person brings with them all the vast experience and knowledge garnered in being an "ex" brushwinger cadet and additionally tips and advice from daddy over the years.
As well, the person is schooled and has first hand experience and expertise in the art of bullying and threatening people as a standard method of coercion, a skill set that no doubt has impressed the DFO as a desirable trait.

Someone please play taps..

So the suggestion of totally outsourcing all training was taken up then? Don't laugh, with the freighter outsourced and training now following, that only leaves ????????? and voila, the perfect virtual airline. Job done even bigger bonuses all round for the 5 remaining directors.

Pucka
24th May 2017, 10:27
Cx used to be a so called "legacy" airline. The legacy element incorporates a number of assumptions that are somewhat organic within the business and this would include an expectation from its employees, to receive diligent and responsible management. Clearly, in the case of CPA..as it currently exists, is no longer the case. The demands from management have been, for over 2 decades, a singular take and no give route. The incredible mismanagement events that we are all aware of, have marginalised the crews, mostly the pilots, to such a degree that the now recognised levels of almost barbaric corporate diligence, leading to a "time to win" policy, now has no gravity with those who operate their airframes. A noted conception of predicting a "phoenix rising" appears to be growing..a dead Cathay means rich pickings for those who can provide a better Corporation of governance. A larger HKA and thus pilot positions that we all might prefer in the long run? And the sad matter in all of this, is that not one senior manager on the 9th floor has been made publicly accountable..not a singular honest apology..not one truism of spirit to encourage us to pull this ailing firm together. Salvation often comes from an understanding public but even there, those that were once faithful, once ardent supporters of Asia miles and with all the incumbent cards, are now dissenting travellers, preferring the opposition for now, quite understandable reasons..reasons of atrocious OTP, poor quality of service, furnishings and food..ALL of which lay on the fundamental doorstep of capricious and unfit management. For those who have now picked or are about to pick up their P45..the best of luck choosing both a new job with an employer who can demonstrate proper stewardship and honest brokerage for a job well done.

Arfur Dent
24th May 2017, 18:41
Well said, mate! They have made some truly dreadful corporate decisions and all with the backing of Swires in London. Strange really.

Michael Hunt
24th May 2017, 22:54
Michael. I'm sorry, but it's "paid", not "payed". Once I could ignore, twice....well, our management love to have evidence we are ill-educated and illiterate. Please, we all have access to an online dictionary. Use it. Thank you.
Sorry about that old boy.
Rectified.

Flex88
24th May 2017, 23:05
It's been corporate decisions, starting in 94 and ALL by Swire Elite and their anointed CX minions that are 100% responsible for the condition of this company as it is today❗️
Personally, I no longer put any weight or credence in their decisions and this latest project, just one more in a long list of poorly thought out plans brought on as a knee jerk reaction to try and mitigate losses do to stunningly bad and inept decisions made by "SWIRE" managers.

See the repeating scenario :ugh::ugh:

Hongkie land
25th May 2017, 01:10
Guys forget it. If you are not part of the family or friends circles, then you/we are that 30% flock. If you look closely, all of them are related in some way. Try drawing the family tree!!! It all lines up. this airline has now turned into a family owned airline. HX is bad, but now CX is worst

Freehills
25th May 2017, 02:06
FLex88. Why 1994? I thought B scale was 1993. Sale of Dragonair (so giving up expansion opportunities to China for ten years) was 1996.

GICASI2
25th May 2017, 18:32
Guys forget it. If you are not part of the family or friends circles, then you/we are that 30% flock. If you look closely, all of them are related in some way. Try drawing the family tree!!! It all lines up. this airline has now turned into a family owned airline. HX is bad, but now CX is worst

Always was - and in the A scale days, wasn't even listed. And even the Swires (with their £2bn fortune) couldn't populate the 70%!!!!

Shep69
27th May 2017, 15:48
Looks to me like it may be the old set up.

Bazillions claimed to be lost. No one really has any idea where the money is going and there's no real transparency. But we are supposedly in huge financial trouble; likely some truth to it due to CC and TB from HKAOA being effective and not being able to fill jets and expansion. Also some truth due devaluation of product. None of which has anything to do with the individuals being canned and nothing with restructuring doing anything to address the 'problems' (which it obviously doesn't).

Gloom, doom, and austerity all around (those with any knowledge of history have seen this before).

BUT

CAD soon goes to 1000 hours (like much of the rest of the world)--just like it changed the ULR/LRO rules. And the company doesn't want to pay for any of it under existing terms. So it perhaps comes up with an elaborate scheme to raise OT threshold (and make working conditions worse) and try to poor mouth, chisel and get concessions. More work for less over time which should be a familiar theme. A bit draconian and ruthless to sack a bunch of people unrelated to the issues to do this, but who would be suprised by draconian and ruthless ?

So's I'd not fall for any of the propaganda coming down the pike. How much truth do we really get around here anyway ?

Starbear
29th May 2017, 22:28
So now they have decided upon and published the new management structure............. oh wait a minute, it's just reams and reams of more indecipherable sh*te. Still no idea who does what at any practical level except maybe "Manager of Customer Insight"

ACMS
30th May 2017, 07:07
Yes they've announced a big re structure of the 3rd floor but wait........they haven't got CAD approval for the planned changes yet......:D

1200firm
31st May 2017, 15:24
How will all the sackings affect management bonuses? That's what concerns me the most.

Average Fool
31st May 2017, 17:51
I am sure your concerns are unfounded.

Bonuses will be paid as always.

Flex88
3rd Jun 2017, 06:51
Just viewed this US ad and, to me, it entirely encapsulates CX and the Swire management style using the IT department as an example.
Anyone who's been here for a while knows what a shamble the IT department is. In 25 years they've hired/fired probably 5 different companies and who knows how many Swire(some non Swire) directors/managers have come and gone? You must ask why? It's because the managers, directors, companies have all gone begging to the spreadsheet types for 25 years begging for money and been turned down because their "business case" is simply an elusive IT dream saying "we have to modernize" or fall behind.
The Swire bonus oriented spreadsheet types of the past have now come back to haunt those of the present.. 700 IT bots now occupy the buildings trying desperately to drag ancient software into the 21st century; this, now, costing zillions of dollars. (think failed 10 yr EFB program by GMLO as well)..
The ad's first 19 seconds reflects the current state, the remainder reflects (true) one of the IT companies they fired in the past..:ugh::ugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZ5Wmv3Q_4