PDA

View Full Version : 737 and truck collide on taxiway at LAX

llondel
21st May 2017, 01:57
This popped up on the local news (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/california/Six-Hurt-When-Plane-Crashes-Into-Truck-on-LAX-Runway-423366594.html)

Eight people suffered non-life-threatening injuries Saturday when a Boeing 737 passenger jet collided with an airport utility truck on a taxiway at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

The collision happened just before 2:30 p.m. on the taxiway near Runway 25 Right shortly after Aeromexico Flight 642 from Mexico City landed, according to Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The injured were all in the truck, which tipped over. The aircraft wing was damaged but no injuries reported on board.

Kewbick
21st May 2017, 02:18
8 people jammed into the cab of that truck? Or were some riding in the box?

armchairpilot94116
21st May 2017, 02:21
It's LA :8

jack11111
21st May 2017, 02:22
Maybe a cleaning crew.

garylovesbeer
21st May 2017, 04:52
Which vehicle has right-of-way at a US airport? I would assume vehicular traffic would have to give way to/avoid aircraft.

llondel
21st May 2017, 05:06
I was looking at the video, and unless the truck was spun round 180 degrees by the contact, it's facing away from the aircraft which implies that if it was moving it must have crossed in front of the aircraft.

1.3vso
21st May 2017, 18:37
Going by the video, it looks like the catering truck was eastbound in the vehicle travel lane and crossed the taxiway before coming in contact with AeroMexico. Probably crossed well before the B737 entered the taxiway but had to stop for traffic ahead (probably giving way to a plane on a taxiway further east) not realizing they were encroaching on the taxiway behind.

RoyHudd
21st May 2017, 19:09
It was an Ambulift. And the driver was in a hurry. We were there.

Just how often do vehicle drivers airside cause problems? They have little or no appreciation of the impetus of jets. Try taxiing a Heavy and following a Leader vehicle at MAN and you'll soon learn the disparity between wheeled powered vehicles at airports. Their drivers are often clueless. Understandably. They drive cars and lorries. Not jets.

llondel
22nd May 2017, 02:06
So what is typical taxi speed for a 737 (or a 747 for that matter) when it's out away from obstacles, and what's the typical stopping distance? I appreciate that it's going to vary with the load and will be worse at MTOW.

cappt
22nd May 2017, 03:34
Going by the video, it looks like the catering truck was eastbound in the vehicle travel lane and crossed the taxiway before coming in contact with AeroMexico. Probably crossed well before the B737 entered the taxiway but had to stop for traffic ahead (probably giving way to a plane on a taxiway further east) not realizing they were encroaching on the taxiway behind.

The above was my assumption as well, traffic ahead stopped so the truck stopped hanging out in the taxi lane.

Taxiing in LAX is one of my "highest threats", the brief mitigation= both heads outside and on a swivel at all times.

Kewbick
22nd May 2017, 11:16
Once again, eight people in the cab of the truck? Is there a possibility of the driver's visibility being obstructed by humanoids?

OvertHawk
22nd May 2017, 11:39
Kewbick

If it's an Ambulift, as stated, then 8 is a perfectly sensible number of people - consider it to be a bus rather than a truck. The passengers will be less mobile or disabled people in the box cabin on the back waiting to be lifted onto aircraft.

Kewbick
22nd May 2017, 11:45
Thank you for the clarification.

J.O.
22nd May 2017, 15:59
That looks like no ambulift I've ever seen. Completely lacking in windows. Looks more like a grooming service vehicle.

sb_sfo
22nd May 2017, 16:34
You're right, J.O. Cabin cleaning truck. Couple people in the cab and a bench seat or two in the back.

RoyHudd
23rd May 2017, 15:53
Apologies, I guess you're right. We were told by our agent that it was an ambulift. On reviewing the newscast, this doesn't look like one.

Looks like a most unnecessary collision. Navigating and Taxying at LAX is demanding enough without trucks cutting across. A/C should have priority at all times. I hope the AeroMexico crew didn't get hauled over the coals.

Hotel Tango
23rd May 2017, 16:16
I hope the AeroMexico crew didn't get hauled over the coals.

Depends on the circumstances I'd say. We don't know the FACTS of this collision as yet. May well not have been the truck driver's fault either for all we know.

OldLurker
23rd May 2017, 17:33
Aviation Herald's take on this accident:
Accident: Aeromexico B738 at Los Angeles on May 20th 2017, ran service truck over (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4a9401b6)
A commenter claims to have worked for the company that operated the truck, and says "... from my experience, the trucks do have seats with seat belts but nobody used them. Also, most of the drivers drove recklessly and were undertrained to be driving on active taxiways. I am not surprised to see this happen."

Hotel Tango
23rd May 2017, 17:59
Objection your Honour! Hearsay. It may well be true but so far we do not have an iota of evidence either way.

FullWings
23rd May 2017, 18:11
Taxiing in LAX is one of my "highest threats", the brief mitigation= both heads outside and on a swivel at all times.
Having had to use RTO-level braking in a 777-300 to avoid a hurtling vehicle, I completely agree.

I fly a lot to the US and although the airside driving style is “different” to, say, the UK, LAX is by far the worst place that I’ve been to. Some of the speeds used are such that it’s going to be difficult to stop even if you’re looking out...

750XL
23rd May 2017, 18:21
I suspect the driver of the vehicle had stopped in a queue of traffic and the Aeromexico 'ran' him over. It isn't always easy to see aircraft when you're in such a large vehicle.

llondel
24th May 2017, 04:24
The picture of the truck on the AvHerald article is interesting, someone commented that it's the far side of the taxiway boundary, although someone else claims to have seen it happen and the truck wasn't clear of the taxiway at impact. I assume they don't put larger aircraft down those taxiways then, because to me a 737 wingspan is relatively small compared to some.

Viking
11th Jun 2017, 18:22
Those of you that complain about vehicle traffic at LAX I assume don't go to ATL very often. LAX is very civilized compared to the absolute anarchy in ATL.