PDA

View Full Version : How much desk to flight time for navy pilots

Yobtaf
19th May 2017, 10:49
Two questions does anyone know the ratio of flight postings to desk postings for navy pilots?

Are there any navy observers out there?

mrdeux
20th May 2017, 01:57
Two questions does anyone know the ratio of flight postings to desk postings for navy pilots?

Are there any navy observers out there?

I was an observer, but then I turned into a pilot....

TowerDog
20th May 2017, 02:26
Most Navy Pilots I flew with went straight for girls and drink after landing.
Doubt they had any time for desk jobs.
I am not joking, them guys are almost as horny and thirsty as us Freight Dogs.:sad:

megan
20th May 2017, 04:26
In my day long, long ago desk postings became a fact of life once you reached LCDR rank, not before. There were LCDR flying postings, CO of squadron as one example, but few and far between. Those wishing to continue flying opted for civilian life once a desk loomed in their future. If you were waiting for a course to start, a short term posting to patrol boats was usual. If planning a permanent career the time may be usefully served on board a ship gaining your watch keeping certificate.

Yobtaf
23rd May 2017, 04:43
Looking at observer position and I wonder what sort of roles after navy?

megan
24th May 2017, 00:48
Whatever you want. People I know became: school bursar, high school teacher, went to ASIO, worked on the Space Shuttle robot arm engineering, museum curator, just as an example.

mrdeux
24th May 2017, 03:58
Which course were you on Megan?

megan
24th May 2017, 06:32
See PM mrdeux

Yobtaf
25th May 2017, 02:50
Whatever you want. People I know became: school bursar, high school teacher, went to ASIO, worked on the Space Shuttle robot arm engineering, museum curator, just as an example.

Are you currently serving?

megan
25th May 2017, 06:49
That part of my life was over forty years ago.