PDA

View Full Version : pilotpointer.com ?

bafanguy
17th May 2017, 15:52
After many years of popping in directly to pilotpointer.com as if it were just another website, today when I clicked on the link I got a pop-up asking me to download the "application" for it. It happened on both my laptop and desktop...and I had a friend take a run at it with the same pop-up result. He thought it looked fishy and suggested not downloading anything related to it.

With all the viruses, hacking and ransomware circulating these days, I've gotten a bit skittish.

Anyone else have a similar result if you tried to view pilotpointer.com today ?

G0ULI
18th May 2017, 01:42
This is an increasing trend with a view to monetarising popular sites. By locking you into an app and then "improving" it the idea is to move you into a subscription model, which is where the real money can be made with popular sites.

Generally there is a button that allows you to continue to load and run the site in your browser. Failing that, you really are only left with the option to download the app. If you do decide to do this, go to the official app store for your device and download the applicatioon from there. Never follow the link from a random web page, you may be directed to a fake app store page that looks genuine but will attempt to load malware onto your device disguised as your new app.

Pilotpointer.com just loaded as a standard web page on my iPad, no sign of a redirect to a specific app. Try clearing cookies, etc., restarting your browser and accessing the site.

bafanguy
18th May 2017, 11:36
GOULI,

Thanks for the info. pilotpointer.com started working normally late yesterday afternoon...this morning was back to directing you to an "app"...and at the moment is working normally again.

Beats me. My computer knowledge fits in a thimble !

bafanguy
20th May 2017, 18:37
Today the link goes to a German waterbed website. Clearing the cookies didn't help. Weird...