PDA

View Full Version : 787 LAMEs - Flying the coop

The Mr Fixit
15th May 2017, 10:25
Word on the street at mascot is that lots of JQ and Korr 787 LAMEs have bailed out on Jetstar and headed to greener pastures ?
If true, share some of the good news with us mere mortals, who is offering the good wages and conditions ?
Can we get a gig even if not licenced on the 787 ?
Life in Aus is not as it once was.

wheels_down
15th May 2017, 10:49
I would expect those already licensed would be taken in the initial setup, most likely on secondment from Jetstar.

Where are these so called greener pastures? I assume in another industry? Please tell.

Bootstrap1
16th May 2017, 10:32
Qantas can't take them as they are still making LAMEs redundant. I think they need to wait 18-24 months after the last redundancy before they can either employ a new LAME or make an AME up to LAME.

Engineer_aus
17th May 2017, 10:04
6 months post redundancy when someone can be re employed.

topdrop
17th May 2017, 12:55
A lot of enterprise ageements/awards contain a re-employment limitation - 6 or 12 months is usual following redundancy.
Apart from the above, you can be re-employed at any time, but the taxation benefits of redundancy will disappear if the ATO deems the redundancy was not genuine.
ATO tax ruling 2009/2 does not have a specific time - see paras 306 to 309.
Suggest you get a private ruling from the Tax Office - they are not that hard to do, or get your accountant to do it. Then weigh up whether any loss of tax benefits is offset by future employment.

QuarterInchSocket
19th May 2017, 10:55
Domestically, one is not assured an entry position at q on account of the *new* fleet type being incorporated into their repertoire and one being suitably qualified and/or experienced to certify, or to work as a non-certifier. Reasoning - as outlined previously.