PDA

View Full Version : (For non-US/European pilots) How do you go from piston/turboprops to jet?

33LibertyStreet
13th May 2017, 13:59
So I've been browsing the web on career progression for the past two weeks and it seems I've ran into a wall. Aside from the airline cadet programs (which are usually restricted to local residents/citizens), I can't find any routes where one go from 1500 hrs+ on piston/turboprop to A320/B737s?

This is because almost all airline entries for FOs require at least 500 hours on type but as you all know 500 hours are extremely difficult to obtain unless you pay 150k to pay to fly programs.

I've read enough posts to know US pilots have access to regional jets and European pilots can join the airlines straight out of flight school with 300 ish hours but unfortunately I'm neither of the two meaning my options are greatly limited.

Is my national carrier the only option?

Fyi, I'm willing to locate to almost anywhere in the world to obtain Jet hours regardless of living conditions (unless it's super dangerous).

Anyone in a similar boat?

Thanks.

B2N2
13th May 2017, 17:08
What is your flight experience now?
Have you considered companies like Suzi Air in Indonesia?

Susi Air - Your Air Transport Solution for All of Indonesia (http://susiair.com/)

* Ok I see you have 1500hrs from a previous posting.
Where and how did you get those hours?
Are you currently employed?
Golden Rule in aviation, when you're employed STAY EMPLOYED
Don't quit one job before you have another.
Reason being, if you have a job you hours will automatically keep increasing and at some point you'll cross the invisible threshold where suddenly people start paying attention to your resume. It certainly wouldn't hurt to start working on your PIC time which is why Suzi Air may be interesting for you.

33LibertyStreet
14th May 2017, 01:08
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I actually haven't even started flight training. I'm researching how pilots (esp those without US or European passport) make transition after training to jets.

I've looked up Susi air but they seem to fly C208s which are single engine. Would this matter when applying at airlines because I've seen a lot of multi-crew, multi engine hours as a requirement.

momo95
14th May 2017, 16:56
try your national carrier, i dont know what they may have, otherwise you can try the airasia mpl, tigerair mpl or qatar airways mpl via ctc, i think these are all open to international applicants

mohammdashraf
14th May 2017, 19:34
only qatar airways mpl is open for all nationalities.. nothing else

B2N2
14th May 2017, 20:41
At some point employers will use a 'formula' or computer systems will use an algorithm when you apply for a job.
You'll need a certain amount of PIC time in comparison with your total time.
I'll give you an example, I have 10500 hrs TT and 8900 hrs PIC but only 1700hrs Jet.
This will get me flagged on online applications which most US based airlines use.
This also means that a lot of the time I will not be given the opportunity to explain that I've been a full time professional instructor for 13 years.
The 'puter flags my application and I'm out.
How do I know this to be fact?
I've applied with a JetBlue 6(!) times in 3 years and the last time I had 2 internal recommendations and I didn't even get a confirmation of application.

rudestuff
14th May 2017, 21:05
Why not just put down 3000+ TT and 1700 jet? It's not a lie, but it will get your ratios down.

B2N2
14th May 2017, 21:57
Because you will be caught in a lie upon a records check and that will be an instant rejection plus a 'no-reapply' status on your file.
Don't you think I hadn't thought of that ?
Remember that you fill in your times with every medical application.
With my current employer I was halfway through training when I got an email from the third party security consultancy requesting additional info on an employer that I listed on my resume.
Guess what would have happened if I'd lied?

rudestuff
15th May 2017, 09:19
I didn't say lie. If you put down 3000+ or >3000 then you're being truthful in your case. The name of the game is to get an interview. If, as you say, you have too many hours for their computer you're barred anyway so what is there to lose?

Remember in the US there is no requirement to log flight time, other than what you need to stay current or for certificate issue. I've seen 8710s filled in like this:
Total time: 1500+
Cross country: 500+
Pic: 250+

B2N2
16th May 2017, 15:24
8710's are by law only required to show the minimum of hours necessary for the rating or certificate applied for.
A job application with a Major airline is a totally different ball game.