PDA

View Full Version : BHX - Shambles

WupWupPullUp
11th Jul 2002, 21:15
Recently booked a flight as regular pax, from BHX with BA. Was told at the time of booking "You must be at the airport 1 hour prior to departure, but in light of recent events we do recommend arriving at check-in at least 90 mins prior".

Flight was at 0705.

Arrived as requested at the Eurohub terminal, at 0530.

Severely p:mad: :mad:sed off to find out that checkin doesn't even open until 0630.

(in fact, it was 0638 before the staff bothered to start checking people in).

B H X E U R O H U B - U T T E R L Y R I D I C U L O U S

By the time the desks had opened, there were at least 100 people in the queue (which was one of those zig-zag roped off affairs).

Why was I told to arrive 90 minutes early for, just so that I could stand in a queue for over an hour?

Even the automatic ATM-style check-in machines remained off-line until 0630.

Hand Solo
11th Jul 2002, 22:49
No, you were recommended to arrive 90 minutes early, not told to. If check in wasn't open you could have joined the queue and then not had to wait behind 100 other people. Furthermore if check in doesn't open until 0630 I'm at a loss to explain where the passengers on the BA1800 service to CDG come from, considering it departs BHX at 0630. Perhaps you have become confused?

Bright-Ling
11th Jul 2002, 23:38
...at least you were first in the queue and got the seat you wanted!!!!!!?!?!?

Sorry, but sympathy is in the dictionary between s h1 t and syphillis!!

Contrary to belief, this is the PPRUMOURNetwork...not the PPWhingeingNetwork

So long "Tiny Tears!"

WupWupPullUp
12th Jul 2002, 08:48
Sorry :rolleyes:Bright-Ling:rolleyes:, I do apologise for raising awareness of a matter which reflects the appaling level of service in some areas of our industry - you are, of course, correct - it's not a rumour.

I would also like to apologise for causing you to have to hit the reply button, and waste a minute of your time by writing your informative retort, which was obviously a selfless act to help a fellow ppruner to mend his ways.

THANKS ! :D

luoto
12th Jul 2002, 09:05
Huh, you want **** service... try checking in with KLM then. The majority of the check-in agents employed by Aviance or whatever Midland AIrport Services are called could do with a few lessons in customer service and not assuming that the customer is bull****ting when they can't find the destination airport on their computer, they won't call the helpdesk/supervisor "it doesn't exist" and won't believe you when you've given them the IATA/ICAO codes....

BHX needs to pull its finger out generally.

Avman
12th Jul 2002, 09:09
WWPU ,

Don't listen to Brighling , he's just a frustrated ATCO:D .

You have every right to vent your feelings as an SLF in this the SLF forum! Furthermore, it may have been on a Sunday morning (I don't know) when there is NO 0630 BA departure to Paris :rolleyes: . I think the point you make is perfectly valid and I would consider it not unfair to expect check-in facilities to be open at least 90 minutes prior to departure. So :p to the rest of you :D .

Bright-Ling
12th Jul 2002, 09:21
AM not frustrated at all!!

Was originally posted on the RUMOURS AND NEWS Thread.

WupWupboohoo....it wasn't a waste of my time......have loads spare.

World Traveller
12th Jul 2002, 10:31
I'm gonna agree with WupWup here, on a weekday the desks open at 0530, T-1 hour on the first Paris. Considering the number of BA deps between 0630 and 0730, opening earlier would be a very good idea. It is even more irritating that the automated check in machines don't work before 0530 either.

Same silliness in CDG, attempted to check in with the machine T-3 hours, and it said I was too early! Yet at BHX I could have checked in for the return on the outbound, if it was a day trip.

Now don't get me started on check in times and queue length at LHR terminal 1, or BA's "Fast" bag drop....or the very patronising response BA sent to my constructive criticism......

The world's favourite...but not World Travellers!

WT
WT Plus is OK though.....

SLF
12th Jul 2002, 13:18
Since it seems that no-one from BA has commented, allow me to make a couple of observations in their defence:

You could have checked in from home via the web (and phone possibly?) This service was recently extended to all travellers, having been restricted to FF for a while.

I'm not sure when security arrive - if you could have checked in before 05:30, you may well have been first in the queue for the Xray machine ;)

If you haven't flown from an airport recently, it's worth allowing plenty of time anyway, to get to grips with changing traffic routes, parking, check ins etc. As a regular at Eurohub, the new roads and Car Park have really minimised M6 to Lounge time. The CRJ Valet service has removed the nightmare of overstuffed lockers and baggage hall waits. Of the UK airports I use with reasonable frequency (LHR/LGW/EMI/LUT/BHX) it's definitely my favourite for ease of access and facilities.

Finally, were those instructions from an agent of from BA itself? My agent also said 90 minutes after Sept 11, but that advice was changed bach to 60 mins before Christmas. We regulars think half an hour for a cappucino is about right!

Nuff said - you were a little early, you'll know better for next time.

Cheers - SLF

Avman
12th Jul 2002, 15:08
Beg your pardon Bright-ling , I didn't realise it was originally in the wrong forum.

WupWupPullUp
12th Jul 2002, 16:11
:rolleyes:BRIGHT-LING:rolleyes: - IT WAS NOT ORIGINALLY POSTED IN RUMOURS AND NEWS AT ALL

- It was posted in Questions.

Check the facts before typing, durrr!

And to extract a quote from my post "Why was I told to arrive 90 minutes early for, just so that I could stand in a queue for over an hour?" - I consider that to be a question.

OK, so perhaps, I should have come here first, but hell!

And who made :rolleyes:BRIGHT-LING:rolleyes: Moderator ????..

If you don't like the topic, why did you re-read it ??!!?? :D

x x x

Mister Geezer
13th Jul 2002, 10:36
I laugh at 90 mins, esp at BHX!!!!!!

A week ago, I had the pleasant experience of travelling through BHX Eurohub (one weekday evening) when I was travelling with BA. After using LHR on many occasions, BHX was superb. I turned up 30 mins before departure time and within a few mins of checking in, I was at the gate waiting to board! Not many airports nowadays can offer you such a simple passage through security etc etc. Walking shoes are not needed since check-in, security and the gates are all within spitting distance!

Eurohub gets my vote!

MG

professor yaffle
14th Jul 2002, 08:14
agree there, when i've gone from the eurohub, never had problems with check-in, security etc
had misfortune to travel from main terminal recently on a domestic flight
rang ticket desk to check what time check-in closed - told 20 mins before flight
got there 1 hour before flight, check-in no problem
going through security was ridiculous
massive queue, only one entry available
they finally opened one of the two available, had a guy standing at the split in the queue, i thought he was directing people to the appropiate desk - oh no - he said " theres two lines" well duh!(obviously he was too important to open up the other desk)
finally got passed there to go through the x-ray bit to find about 10 staff and only one channel open
who gets the £5 security tax and where does it get spent??

rant over!!!!

prof

luoto
14th Jul 2002, 08:49
Yes, eurohub is nice and was pleasant surprised after seeing a long check-in lines at the BA space and they did seem to process them quickly...

now, just need some good BA prices ex BHX for the places I need to go to and I can then dump KLM for good (... well I'm slowly doing that with SK).

Pax Vobiscum
16th Jul 2002, 17:13
If there's a direct flight, I use BHX in preference to LHR, even though it's three times further to drive (but only takes about 50% longer, unless the M42 is playing up). Not only is it easy to park and (normally) much less queueing, you're less likely to run into an aerial traffic jam on your evening return flight.

World Traveller
16th Jul 2002, 21:38
I also used to work in the Eurohut duty free shop :D

WT

Luke341
27th Jul 2002, 10:33
BHX rules:)