PDA

View Full Version : QF revenue streams !!!

BNEA320
11th May 2017, 23:54
Qantas frequent flyer program turning into airline's biggest money spinner (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/qantas-frequent-flyer-program-turning-into-airlines-biggest-money-spinner-20170511-gw34wq.html)

in todays paper - are reporters back at work ?

says retailers are spending up big on ff pts, but it seems Virgins programme is far superior to Qantas's.

or maybe only looking at flights to LAX.

About the same points requirement, but Qantas charges(fuel surcharge?) are about $700 cf. $200 at Virgin.

Have all these Qantas points which can't use in busy periods like school holidays, but can use them in low season, when fares go as low as $899 or less. So in Qantas's case, I pay $700 in charges + around 100k in points to get an airfare, which is worth less than any punter can buy for $899 or less(the punter earns points on a $899 return fare)

I wish my points mostly earned with credit cards, where with virgin not qantas. think maybe many retailers buying points from Qantas don't realise this, along with many who collect points, amass a lot & then find they can't use them, like they thought they could. With Australia's faultering economy, there are many places can get cash discounts. I always ask, at any small business. In last week, got a 20% cash discount from one retailer(no receipt) & 15% from another, no receipt, so why would I use a card to get a few QF ff points?

I don't care if they don't pay their GST or income tax. Govts just waste our taxes anyway.

With the economy faultering & going to get a lot worse, the cash economy is going to explode. Must be a lot of people hiding their cash "under the bed".

AEROMEDIC
12th May 2017, 07:53
In my view, The biggest flaw with the Qantas FF program is that there are not enough award seats available. Award seats on popular routes are almost impossible to get and here's an example.
My son had accrued several hundred thousand points from business travel and these remained unused as he could not get an award seat on a flight from HKG to MEL. He's an upper level manager for his company, so he's a very busy person and opportunities to use the points came with very short notice.
He accrues MANY more points with other airline rewards program and has no trouble using those instead. He no longer flies Qantas and is a high level member with his current airline.
After a couple of years of inactivity, Qantas took away the points.
While there's more to that, and the points HAVE been restored, more award seats on popular routes would be helpful, and perhaps some sort of early warning e-mail sent to members identified as having continual difficulty in getting award seats on particular flights.

Ken Borough
12th May 2017, 09:04
Note to all: a price generally accompanies a free lunch. I am always amused that people are upset that they can't use their FF points when they were earned at someone else's expense. :mad::mad::ugh::ugh:

pax britanica
12th May 2017, 09:28
Ken

using points earned on business travel for personal use is perfectly reasonable as compensation from being away from family / disrupted life styles caused by frequent travel and is usually a good incentive for spouses partners etc to accept the 'demands of the job' when you ahve missed birthdays anniversarys etc because you were away on a trip. People have a right to complain when airlines bend the rules about FF point use
PB

Ken Borough
12th May 2017, 09:48
Pax,

What did people do before our American cousins invented 'loyalty schemes'? They just got on with their job and made do without the gratuitous perks. If a person wants a reward because of the 'demands of the job' he or she should be doing one of three things

1. Seeking better remuneration, or
2. Resigning and seeking employment that better suits his or her circumstances, or
3. Suck it up.

Tough, I know, but our society is so full of those with unrealistic expectations, always expecting more. :ok:

V-Jet
12th May 2017, 11:19
I've never benefitted from a single FF point and always seem to pay full whack and get nothing for it, but...

If I sold a product to someone in good faith in any other business and then devalued it, zeroed its worth or said it couldnt be used I would probably have bigger issues than negative posts on an enthusiasts forum. Too big to fail?

BNEA320
13th May 2017, 05:10
In my view, The biggest flaw with the Qantas FF program is that there are not enough award seats available. Award seats on popular routes are almost impossible to get and here's an example.
My son had accrued several hundred thousand points from business travel and these remained unused as he could not get an award seat on a flight from HKG to MEL. He's an upper level manager for his company, so he's a very busy person and opportunities to use the points came with very short notice.
He accrues MANY more points with other airline rewards program and has no trouble using those instead. He no longer flies Qantas and is a high level member with his current airline.
After a couple of years of inactivity, Qantas took away the points.
While there's more to that, and the points HAVE been restored, more award seats on popular routes would be helpful, and perhaps some sort of early warning e-mail sent to members identified as having continual difficulty in getting award seats on particular flights.several 100k points is nothing. A very small business can easily accrue that many in one year, paying for stock & business expenses on a credit card, having never been on a Qantas aircraft.

B772
14th May 2017, 09:10
What is wrong with points plus pay ?. Travel using as little as 5,000 points !.
Copied from AA.

BNEA320
15th May 2017, 00:49
What is wrong with points plus pay ?. Travel using as little as 5,000 points !.
Copied from AA. so you end up paying the same as other far superior airlines charge in cash + a wad full of points ? which values the points as worthless. Crazy.