PDA

View Full Version : Great Piece Of Journalism (Again)

Flintstone
11th Jul 2002, 20:39
The journalists have done it again.

Today I was shown a 'story' in The Sun (UK tabloid) about Nigel Mansell and how he suffered a total instrument failure in his '£10m bizjet', described as a "Citation X".

Shame the picture they showed of Mr Mansell's aircraft was that of an Excel then, eh?

I know it can be tricky for a layman but the word 'Excel' on the fuselage and engine cover should have given it away.

(By the way. If there's a grain of truth in this, well done) .

newswatcher
12th Jul 2002, 14:15
A little harsh Flintstone, at least he didn't call it a Gulfstream!!

From the Birmingham Evening Mail (same error!):

"Midlands racing legend Nigel Mansell managed to land his private jet after the instruments failed at 15,000 ft. Mansell, from Solihull, was in thick cloud when the fault struck his £10 million Cessna Citation X plane on Tuesday.

He had just taken off from Exeter airport and was forced to send out an SOS call, before attempting to find his way back as he flew "blind" in foul weather. Air traffic controllers talked down Mansell, who was in heavy rainclouds with two passengers on his jet.

On the ground emergency services stood ready in case he needed assistance, but he managed to touch down safely.

A spokeswoman for Mansell said: "He's very grateful for everyone's help in getting him back safely.

"The air traffic controllers and everyone associated with the emergency did a superb job."

He had been heading with a fellow pilot, Julian Almond and a business colleague, to a meeting in Southend, Essex."

moleslayer
12th Jul 2002, 14:52
Would that be the Julian Almond who used to be employed as an effo/capt with a well known EGLL short haul airline, and was, I think, based in EGJJ ??

If so, hi julian, what the hell are you up to now :D