PDA

View Full Version : Low time positions in/around Melbourne

Bomber ARIS
11th May 2017, 05:26
Hello,

As the thread title suggests, I'm after any leads for a low-time (380 hours), Melbourne-based, CPL with multi-engine IR.

No job too small!

Thanks in advance for any and all info

Duck Pilot
11th May 2017, 06:13
Go north and forget about twins and IFR for a year or so. If you want to stay down south do a FIR and commit to instructing for a few years which could pay you dividends later in your career.

I went north from Melbourne in 92' and I'm still up here, currently drinking beer in the backyard!!!!

Bomber ARIS
11th May 2017, 06:25
Thanks for the reply, Duck, and bloody good effort - 25 years up North is slightly longer than I could slip away for!

I should have explained that family ties me to Melbourne/Victoria so, unfortunately, the North is not an option for me.

I intend to start my Instructor Rating next month, but it will be slow going, doing one or two sessions per week.

As for multi-engine & IFR flying, I only mentioned it in passing for whatever it's worth to those giving advice. I'd be more than happy to get a VFR single position - casual charter? Para-dropping ?

Thanks again

Band a Lot
11th May 2017, 07:12
My 2 cents is Para-dropping flying has changed since the new requirements to be maintained to charter and reduced numbers.

Now the turbine can hold its ground in many larger locations such as Melbourne. This now cuts out a platform level that many pilots used to build hours.

Not many will put you on a turbine with 380 hrs if any - many with turbine are willing to build turbine hrs dropping meat bombs.

Thus reducing options for low time to progress.

Duck Pilot
11th May 2017, 08:39
FIR would be the best solution, focus on getting the rating and instructing. Get a Grade 1 with all the goodies in a few years and you will do well with the right attitude. Business in the flight training arena at the moment is booming and it's only going to get better. The only negative aspect now is that the industry doesn't have enough instructors to meet the current (and projected) demands.

Squawk7700
11th May 2017, 10:11
There's a new parachuting operation at Tooradin, they may be looking for pilots.

gulliBell
11th May 2017, 11:54
So Melbourne based FO in RPT is not an option?

Bomber ARIS
11th May 2017, 12:12
Hadn't thought about RPT, but I'm assuming age would preclude me, being over 40

gulliBell
11th May 2017, 12:32
Hadn't thought about RPT, but I'm assuming age would preclude me, being over 40

Yes, regrettably so. We hire many hundreds of national pilots per year with that level of experience and put them into Airbus and Boeing and Embaer as SO or FO, but they are all early 20's.

Bomber ARIS
11th May 2017, 13:18
To be quite frank, my interests lie more in the smaller machines.

I know in my heart that I'd be happier, and better suited to flying a Caravan, glider towing, instructing, etc.... which is fortunate since the airline style routes aren't an option anyway!!

Flyboy1987
11th May 2017, 23:59
Yes, regrettably so. We hire many hundreds of national pilots per year with that level of experience and put them into Airbus and Boeing and Embaer as SO or FO, but they are all early 20's.

I'd be interested in working for you. I'm pushing 30 though so could I have a left hand seat if one becomes available?