PDA

View Full Version : Astrolite pilot's headset - trying to get it to work !

Mooncrest
10th May 2017, 10:42
I bought this unused headset a few years ago. It has standard 300 ohm earphones each side and an amplified electret microphone. The earphones work perfectly but the mic/amp combo doesn't. I've plugged it into my ICOM handheld and when I press the PTT, all I can hear is a nasty squealing. I've tried adjusting the pot on the down lead terminal board (I assume this is the gain adjustment) but this only alters the pitch of the squeal ! I have tried a Sennheiser headset with an amplified electret mic and older Airlite 71s and Astrolites with carbon and amplified dynamic mics. They all work perfectly well. Does anybody know what the problem(s) might be ?

Thankyou all.

Mooncrest
10th May 2017, 19:55
Anybody ??

condor17
10th May 2017, 21:02
Anybody ? It's only day 1 ! .....Must be a Yorkshireman .
Had Peltors on ATPs s , something serious changed in them and the whole lot were replaced .
Old one flogged cheap . Managed to get a pair , But they had to be modded for light a/c ... luckily a mate did the bizz . The mic. was the prob ...something carbon Vs. dynamic ? for light a/c and the opposite for big stuff . Worked well for years , mate had even put a small sw. on to change over the mic. type .
Can't help with techie speak , just a Tractor driver with wings , and an amateur fitter at best .
The Trident Astrolites talked about in previous post , just had Nato plug replaced by twin plug and work ok in Cherrytees , Cessnas etc.

rgds condor .

Mooncrest
11th May 2017, 07:18
Thanks Condor. Point taken. I need to give this more time.