PDA

View Full Version : Too old to start flying?

mike_beresford
27th Nov 2001, 21:38
I'd be interested in hearing some opinions on the latest age at which one can realistically start training for a career as a pilot. I'm 35, and currently doing my PPL. I've always wanted to train as a commercial / airline pilot, but for various reasons have been unable to until now. I am a bit comcerned that my age might count against me - most of the comm trainees I've met are in their early 20s.

Can anyone involved in the industry give me some advice?

Thanks

Mike

Autofly
27th Nov 2001, 22:10
Mike,

I'm 24, PPL and am an aspiring pilot like yourself and I know your not too old. Loads of people will post here giving you advice ..... cos they always do.

My advice is if you want to do it, why are you wasting time asking us about it ........ get on with it. I'm a firm beleiver that if you want to do something then DO IT. Start your PPL. If you never get to fly for a living you'll still be a pilot. Mind you for people like me and probably you it ain't enough. :D Good luck.

Autofly

jonathang
28th Nov 2001, 01:24
I think you are far better to have tried and failed than never to have tried.

redsnail
28th Nov 2001, 02:00
G'day Mike,
I see you are in South Africa. Good on you for going for your PPL.
I don't know if you are married and/or have children. I am not too sure as to the typical career path in S.A. That is something I would research carefully.
Ask yourself seriously, "Can I afford to be on very low wages/unemployment for the next 5 years?" If the answer is "yes" - Go for it. If the answer is "no". Rethink your options and see if there is another way to realise the dream. (Note, I didn't say "don't do it")
Where many "older" starters fall down is they don't take into account that not every one will sit in a shiny jet within a year of finishing their licence. Come to think of it, many "young" starters with huge loans don't either :)
Only you can answer these questions. Every one is different. Every country is different too. (In spite of JAR :mad: )

PingPong
28th Nov 2001, 10:25
Well, Mike, I got my SA 'com' last year and am now flying commercially.

I'm 46 years old.

You've got a decade's advantage over the likes of me!!

However, it is definately tougher the older you get. "God, he's ancient!" being the reported comment from one operator on seeing my CV. You won't have that problem for a few years to come!!!

Autofly
28th Nov 2001, 12:28
Mike,

Really should read these post before replying ..... you've already started your PPL. :rolleyes: Good luck anyhow.

AF

scroggs
28th Nov 2001, 16:30
Mike,
this is a common question; we have even had requests for a separate forum for the 'senior' wannabes!
Given that you appreciate the minor learning problems that go with increasing age, and the fact that the majority of your peers will be in their early 20s, there are actually no barriers to beginning commercial aviation training at your age. You should appreciate that your late start reduces your chances of reaching Concorde command but, that said (and it was with tongue in cheek), you have every chance of making heavy jet command - you'll just have less time to enjoy it once you're there!
You obviously also understand that this isn't the best time in history to be contemplating a career in aviation, but nothing's ever perfect.
I wish you the best of luck!

P.Pilcher
28th Nov 2001, 18:29
This afternoon I shall be once again sitting in the left hand seat of my scheduled passenger gas turbined airliner. My first officer will be a man in his mid forties who, two years ago didn't hold even a PPL. Admittedly he has now got a large outstanding debt, but then there are others in my company who have also made it and are even older. In my opinion this guy is a better first officer than many of his much younger colleagues and will make a fine captain when he has sufficient experience. If you can find the money, and really, really, really want to do it then get on with it! Oh just one point. It pays to be in a position to maintain your currency when you have qualified and are waiting for that first job.

best of luck!