PDA

View Full Version : Hunter F4 WV381/Q 222 "Natal" Squadron RAF Leuchars.

Kieron Kirk
8th May 2017, 11:18
Does anyone out in the wide world of the internet have a photograph of Hunter F4 WV381/Q 222 "Natal" Squadron RAF Leuchars. The a/c served with 222 Squadron from 2nd December 1955 until it moved to FWS on 24th January 1957.

DaveReidUK
8th May 2017, 17:13
I don't know of any photos of WV381 as an F.4 on the 'Net, but you might be interested to know that as a GA.11 its nose survives as a display exhibit:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0150/1226845-medium.jpg

I recall that it was on display at last year's Thames Traditional Boat Festival at Henley, having been lovingly restored, though I suspect it doesn't float very well.

Snipe46
10th May 2017, 12:06
My father's log book has entries for 'Q' in both F1 and F4 variants from his time with 222. Unfortunately he didn't record serial numbers at that time.

By chance there is a photo of what may be be 'Q' but which variant it is I don't know. I've posted it here anyway (I'm afraid the quality isn't good largely because the original is glued into the logbook which makes scanning a little tricky).

DaveReidUK
10th May 2017, 15:44
My father's log book has entries for 'Q' in both F1 and F4 variants from his time with 222. Unfortunately he didn't record serial numbers at that time.

By chance there is a photo of what may be be 'Q' but which variant it is I don't know. I've posted it here anyway (I'm afraid the quality isn't good largely because the original is glued into the logbook which makes scanning a little tricky).

The Hunter F.1 and F.4 are very difficult to tell apart externally. F.4s typically have Sabrinas, but not always, so that's not an infallible guide.

There are some photos of 222 Sqn F.4s on the web, showing the codes on the fin rather than the jetpipe and no squadron flashes, which would suggest that your photo is probably an F.1.

Kieron Kirk
15th May 2017, 17:43
Thanks chaps,

I would agree that the splendid photo is probably a Mk.1 as David has suggested.

Kieron.