PDA

View Full Version : Pilatus PC-24

nohold
7th May 2017, 09:29
Any thoughts and comments on the new twinjet from Switzerland?

Seems they will be onto a winner given the Pilatus pedigree....

His dudeness
7th May 2017, 10:00
If they can get the numbers, they certainly have a winner.

nohold
7th May 2017, 13:30
Yes indeed HD, I understand the PC-12 fuselages are made in Alverca, Portugal.

Perhaps the PC-24s will be shipped in from somewhere too..

barry lloyd
7th May 2017, 23:07
RIP 125...

Sepp
8th May 2017, 00:21
Deck looks like an old 5 series rep-mobile, with all that brushed ally! Even my kid thought the thrust levers looked like 90s naff gear sticks.

It'll surely sell in droves.

If the vents are as crap as they are on my 6 series, I'll pass, ta. Not exactly upgrade friendly, either.... one FMC pad slot only in all that real estate... how much is the 2-slot option?

tartare
8th May 2017, 05:25
Deck looks like an old 5 series rep-mobile, with all that brushed ally! Even my kid thought the thrust levers looked like 90s naff gear sticks.

It'll surely sell in droves.

If the vents are as crap as they are on my 6 series, I'll pass, ta. Not exactly upgrade friendly, either.... one FMC pad slot only in all that real estate... how much is the 2-slot option?

Of course it looks like a Beemer. BMW Designworks were responsible for the interior look and feel.

Sepp
8th May 2017, 09:48
I know. I'm rather surprised they used an old plodder as the inspiration!

nohold
17th May 2017, 22:09
Pilatus were using Cuneo Levaldigi (situated between Cuneo and Turin) for noise measuring of the PC-24 recently.

DirtyProp
18th May 2017, 08:16
A very interesting article about the PC-24:

https://aviationdoctor.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/pilatus-aircraft-has-rolled-out-its-first-business-jet-the-pc-24-is-being-marketed-as-the-super-versatile-jet-and-its-the-only-aircraft-combining-the-versatility-of-the-turboprop-with-the-siz/

nohold
24th May 2017, 19:14
Thanks DP, worth a read.

Silvio Pettirossi
27th May 2017, 02:11
While the article is an interesting read I think the autor left an important factor out in his performance comparation; wing aerodynamics. He talks about power to wight ratio as the only factor in short field capability.
By this, the lear 24 should be a super STOL aircraft.

He mentions the slower cruise speed of the pc-24, this itself can be seen as an indicator that its wing is probably more optimized for lower speed than the faster competition.
And if you take a look at the doble sloted fowler flaps,you see that this wing is meant for high lift at slow airspeeds. Phenom and Lear wings have way simpler high lift devices.
Pilatus also has a completly straight trailing edge for flap effectivness.

So the pc-24 should have quite a bit lower Vref and takeoff speeds, alowing the best field performance numbers in its class.

So, you can not focus on power to wight ratio only, but the autor even takes the Grob SPn as an exemple of good P/W ratio for a short field jet with 0.4, while the ratio of the Pilatus is a very close 0.39!

Yes, the landing gear look quite short, but that is also true for jets like the citation I/II/V wich where also capable of unprepared field operation.

In conclusion,I personaly see no reason to doubt about Pilatus takeoff performance numbers.

His dudeness
27th May 2017, 12:43
Anyone I spoke to who ever flew a PC12 holds Pilatus in high regard. I guess the PC 24 won´t change the Swiss perception of how to treat clients. Something they usually are very very good at. Not meeting numbers would be a big no-no and I guess they were conservative in giving them.

Regarding the wing issue, whilst flying what a colleague once discribed "a hot air ballon" in T/O performance (Citation Sovereign) it is interesting what newer designs (F2000S/LXS, Legacy 450/500, G280) can do out of our very small homebase airport - whilst able to cruise at .82.83 and some even .85. Even our - now - old Sov can go .8 and does so regularly.

The old paradigm of "thick wing - good T/O but slow cruise, thin wing bad T/O perf" is not true any more.

nohold
7th Jun 2017, 15:18
No surprise really.

PC-24 to join the Jetfly fleet in 2017....

Jetfly Brochure (http://www.jetfly.com/fr/pdf/pc24/)

Jetfly (http://www.jetfly.com/en/video/pc24/)

punkalouver
24th Dec 2018, 05:10
There are no rivets on the PC-24 aluminum wing. To quote a magazine....."Each PC-24 wing skin, including the necessary ribs and spars, is milled from a 3,970 pound piece of aluminum. When the milling machine is done, a 185 pound piece of art emerges."

Also, the aft portion of each engine cowl is angled slightly downward to give a thrust vectoring effect known as the Coanda Effect in order to get off the ground earlier.

nohold
25th Nov 2020, 18:09
Thats' a nice bit of info, thanks.

Preacher_Av
26th Nov 2020, 16:39
So how's this bird actually performing in EU, from what we see it's only going to the usual business jet locations, can't identify grass runways and La Mole or Saanen aren't really being used a lot, different from what they advertise.
How's ithe actual landing performance in wet condtions, probably also of interest, how does it compare with an XLS or P300?
Does anyone know?

V1... Ooops
27th Nov 2020, 01:14
. Not exactly upgrade friendly, either.... one FMC pad slot only in all that real estate... how much is the 2-slot option?
It's not necessary to have a second FMC pad in the Honeywell Primus Apex avionics suite - everything that you can do on the existing pad can also be done directly on the screens using the cursor and/or softkeys that are adjacent to the screen. Hence no need for a second pad.
It does have dual FMS inside the modular avionics unit under the floor.

212pete
27th Nov 2020, 17:08
Anyone on the forum who have actual experience in the PC24?
We have a 3500 ft good grass strip, getting ready to get hard surface and extended to 3650ft, and are looking at the PC24 and the Phenom 300. We have been operating 2 PC12's in the past, and like the Pilatus support. But can't find much REAL/Actual information for the PC24...
I also understand that the 2021 model will have some modifications regarding payload. (increase)

Thanks

megan
28th Nov 2020, 04:26
Anyone on the forum who have actual experience in the PC24

Email rcoight as he's flying one for the RFDS organisation. He has comments in this thread,

https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/635018-pilatus-pc-24-jet-happy-customers.html