PDA

View Full Version : youtube help please

seafury45
7th May 2017, 04:23
I watch a lot of clips on youtube. Recently, on my laptop, I have had buffering issues. After about 30 secs the videos stop and I have to wait ages for the video to continue.
Youtube works fine on my phone and tablet and was working fine on the laptop also until recently. And, other videos download without problems.
I have reset the modem, used the troubleshoot option for my internet connection and cleaned up disc space without success.

I have tried a different internet connection and it worked correctly, so it appears to be something with my home internet.

Any suggestions to fix this problem please?

crewmeal
7th May 2017, 06:19
Also remember many YouTube clips are in HD or even 4K. If your computer or internet can't handle that then watch in SD.

Loose rivets
7th May 2017, 15:31
Hard wired to the router? If not, get a program that monitors all the neighbourhood bands in use and make sure you're not being tramped on.

Oh, and run Ccleaner - needless to say I'm sure.

seafury45
8th May 2017, 03:49
Thank you both for your replies.

Loose rivets; Ccleaner downloaded and run, thank you. No improvement on Youtube. I now suspect my home modem because 1. it only works when hardwired and 2. youtube works perfectly on this computer when I use another internet connection.

andytug
8th May 2017, 07:02
Try www.speedtest.net for a speed measurement, do wired and wireless. If wireless is substantially less than wired (bear in mind the theoretical max speed of G wireless is 54 mbps though, so if you're on fibre it should be much less !) on more than one device I would complain to your ISP and demand a replacement router.

seafury45
8th May 2017, 10:27
andytug, thank you. Your suggestion confirmed my suspicion that the router is partly U/S.

11.25Mbps when wired. Absolutely nothing on wireless.

Speed from my alternative wireless connection was 6.11Mbps

Definitely time for a new unit I think.

andytug
8th May 2017, 10:37
Last time I rang my ISP for a new router the chap I spoke to reckoned the average consumer router lasted 2 years on average. Mine had managed 7 at the time, though.
One other possibility is that the router is dual band G and N and is not transmitting one of them, would need to check settings though (virgin routers sometimes do this apparently).

Glorified Dus Briver
9th May 2017, 12:56
Have you tried different browsers by any chance?

seafury45
10th May 2017, 05:33
andytug: mine was about 5 years old.

GBD: no, I neglected to do that.

Note to all: Thank you for your help. I have decided to take the big step and upgrade to the NBN (National Broadband Network) This comes with a new router/modem and twice the download speed. Hopefully it will work as advertised!