PDA

View Full Version : VOR range details

rex
11th Jul 2002, 17:51
Hi Folks

I have tried searching for VOR details but no luck yet.
I would like to know where I can get information on VORand ADF ranges times of ops (NOTAMS) etc.

I am doing some nav exercises and VOR range would be handy as I don't want to bump into any airspace that I shouldn't be in. Perhaps I shouldn't fly too close but I want to be acccurate in my flying anyway.

Help, as always, appreciated.

REX:)

Checkboard
12th Jul 2002, 04:11
VOR uses the VHF band, which is line of sight, so it isn't different for each different VOR The theoretical distance (in NM) is 1.25 times the square root of you aircraft altitude in feet. In Australia they publish a table of distances and height for planning.

SimJock
12th Jul 2002, 05:44
UK Navaids are included in the AIP Enroute section 4

http://www.ais.org.uk/uk_aip/aip/pdf/enr/20401.pdf

DOC is designated operational coverage, above which interference may be possible.

rex
12th Jul 2002, 05:52
Checkboard, Simjock

Thanks guys. SJ, I like the calculation guide and CB, there is so much on the AIS site, it is sometimes quicker to ask where to look.

Apppreciated

:cool:

REX

OzExpat
12th Jul 2002, 12:06
In this corner of the planet, we publish range - specified as "rated coverage" for NDB and Locators only. Up to now, we've said next to nothing about LoS-type navaids. Thankfully, that is finally being addressed in the rewrite of our rules and, for enroute planning purposes (and drawing up enroute tolerance areas for a Lowest Safe Altitude), the range of a VOR will officially be assumed to be 60NM.

Don't think that'll help you very much rex, but thought I'd throw it in anyway...

Jinkster
14th Jul 2002, 14:30
VOR Line of sight:

Distance in miles = 1.25 x square root of (transmitter height in feet + reciever height in feet)

However I would only use this as a guide. If it is situated in the middle of a valley - the distance you receive it at will decrease significantly :D :D

Hope this helps

Jinkster

AfricanSkies
15th Jul 2002, 14:52
and if you're in Africa, chances are ten to one it's %#*&^%, anyway