PDA

View Full Version : EK Pay Review 2017 (VAT to be addressed?)

czechmate
2nd May 2017, 04:43
Seeing as we're now in May I thought I'd get the ball rolling :}

The way I see it is if we don't get the 3% step plus 5% for the VAT coming in then we're once again taking an effective pay cut. Thoughts?

ruserious
2nd May 2017, 05:24
Inevitable surprise, you will never stop taking pay cuts here, either directly or indirectly

lospilotos
2nd May 2017, 06:15
Seeing as we're now in May I thought I'd get the ball rolling :}

The way I see it is if we don't get the 3% step plus 5% for the VAT coming in then we're once again taking an effective pay cut. Thoughts?

Even IF we get the 3% step it's still a pay cut as long as the ladder in itself is not raised. The step is not to compensate for inflation but to recognise your increased experience level and commitment to the company.

Just think about it, those on the top step don't get any salary increase if just the step is awarded. Same goes for the entry step. If not adjusted for inflation, the entry level pay slowly but surely go towards a big fat zero in terms of purchasing power.

BANANASBANANAS
2nd May 2017, 10:11
EK is caught between a rock and a hard place with this year's pay review and 'bonus' awards.

The mantra from the top is 'cut costs, cut costs, cut costs' but EK has a worsening pilot attrition problem, an inability to attract anywhere near enough new pilots, a conveyor belt of 'firm' orders of new aircraft to manage, resistance from Trump to continued operations into the USA domestic market and an ever more more public degradation of the EMIRATES brand image to contend with.

And all of this against a backdrop of well paid pilot jobs being available in the Far East and ongoing opportunities for any US pilot who has had enough and wants to go home.

Emirates will do whatever Emirates wants to do, but it cannot control market forces and it would do well to heed the example set by Mr Al in QR. Otherwise, the consequences will be determined by market forces and not EMIRATES.

It remains to be seen if EMIRATES has matured sufficiently as an airline to acknowledge this and to act responsibly.

Icarus2001
2nd May 2017, 10:16
Otherwise, the consequences will be determined by market forces and not EMIRATES.

I believe that you are correct but I would go one step further and say that it is MARKET FORCES that always determines the outcome, EK can choose to re-act or try to get ahead of the game but that window is closing quickly.

JAYTO
2nd May 2017, 10:29
its quite difficult to see "windows of opportunity" when your head is buried in the sand.

J

glofish
2nd May 2017, 12:20
It is certainly logical and good practise to go for big 'return of investment'. EK did a decent job in that respect, at least when it came down to invest into infrastructure, branding and equipment. One can discuss if they went somewhat wrong for the latter, but their real gross error was that, once on the success path, they no longer invested into their productive employees the last 10 years. The devested heavily there. Too heavily, because their main problem now is a return of devestment. No adequately qualified people want to join, the party roars somewhere else.

It is like a country that forgot to renew its infrastructure for too long. The cost to get even will always be huge and goes to the detriment of profit, or to the taxpayer (VAT). It takes easily double the amount of money anyone thought they'd save and takes an exponential amount of time.

The system in Dubai was never set up for full amplitudes, in their arrogance they thought that only the top of the x-axis would apply to them. Any remedy to the position they are in now would imply some sort of re-investment into productive employees (renumeration, conditions and number) as to fully get back a return of investment of the still pretty good infrastructure and equipment. At the same time a devestment of the non-productive part in management, the bouncy castle and especially in the abysmally bad IT department has to be implemented.

My guess is: 'Not going to happen'! No pay increase, no better rosters, no profit share, no increase in numbers.

Go to the bouncy castle and you will see how Costa has filled up again, especially with full white and full black dresses, almost to pre-Müller times. EK is doomed due to cultural inaptitudes.

CaptainChipotle
4th May 2017, 06:49
If you expect nothing, you can't be disappointed!

Bonus chatter usually started round mid-late Jan/feb. 12 weeks in 2011, since then it's been withering away.

But don't worry, the VAT will ease our pain.

Captain Sham
4th May 2017, 09:57
"If you expect nothing, you can't be disappointed!"

So you're not expecting a reduction in Ts and Cs then?
I'm hoping that at least things don't get worse...

natops
5th May 2017, 14:40
So when do we expect The email about all the stuff we dont really expect?

fliion
6th May 2017, 10:57
They're probably waiting to see if Alitalia falls.

Salivating at the thought of 500 guys on the market with multiple daily flights to Italy.

777-200LR
6th May 2017, 11:48
Has Alitalia ever fallen before??

flareflyer
6th May 2017, 14:41
Dear 777 LR,

Honestly i hope Alitalia will not fail.......
Too many families will pay for mistakes that are not theirs......
In any case, no Alitalia pilot would join ek. They already have different offers plus they are well informed of what is going on within ek itself......

White Knight
6th May 2017, 18:08
Total nonsense flareflyer... There are loads of ex Alitalia guys here at EK; it's still better to have some food on your plate than none at all!

flareflyer
7th May 2017, 04:37
Ok white knight.....
Will find out soon.....

lospilotos
7th May 2017, 08:07
Total nonsense flareflyer... There are loads of ex Alitalia guys here at EK; it's still better to have some food on your plate than none at all!

And when did those Alitalia pilots join? Several years ago when EK was different from today, or recently?

BigGeordie
7th May 2017, 09:37
I've flown with a couple of Alitalia F/Os who did indeed join a few years back. Both lamented the state of their national carrier now but both said, if they had their time again, they wouldn't come to Emirates as better opportunities were available in Europe. Perhaps more importantly, they have given their friends in Italy the unvarnished truth about life in EK. I don't think there will be many pilots coming from Italy whatever happens to Alitalia.

harry the cod
8th May 2017, 12:17
Well, if better opportunities were available, you have to ask whether the soon to be made redundant pilots would still come given that some job is better than none. If, however, there still are better opportunities, is there anything to stop the current Italian complainants you've flown with leaving for pastures new? I think not.

We will get nothing on our pay this year and the posts of resentment will increase dramatically on Thursday. Many will state they've had enough, time to leave, CV's being sent.

Most of those will post the same statements next year too.

Harry

Plane_Sailing
8th May 2017, 12:40
No invitation to come and watch the show. That can't be a good sign!

falconeasydriver
8th May 2017, 13:02
Well, if better opportunities were available, you have to ask whether the soon to be made redundant pilots would still come given that some job is better than none. If, however, there still are better opportunities, is there anything to stop the current Italian complainants you've flown with leaving for pastures new? I think not.

We will get nothing on our pay this year and the posts of resentment will increase dramatically on Thursday. Many will state they've had enough, time to leave, CV's being sent.

Most of those will post the same statements next year too.

Harry

That's because Harry it continues to be mostly the silent majority voting with their feet, rather than posting on here.
I've mostly taken a backseat from this forum, but I continue to get a constant stream (at least 6-7 most weeks) of questions from those job seekers that are either planning to leave, or join EK...many of whom have never posted, the advice I give is simple, leave and if you are thinking of joining read the posts on here and then I recommend they stay away.