PDA

View Full Version : BA positive sign

fruitbat
11th Jul 2002, 16:04
British Airways are advertising internally for a 'Flight Manager Pilot Recruitment'. Surely a positive sign that things will start moving in the near future.

jasonjdr
11th Jul 2002, 16:12
or its just because the old 'Flight manager' is leaving.......;)

paddy_22002
12th Jul 2002, 10:03
Don't get too excited.
The present Flight Manager Pilot Recruitment is returning to line flying duties and therefore the internal vacancy.
Cheers
Paddy;)

Gin Slinger
12th Jul 2002, 10:31
This is in a similar vein to that 'how much conjecture is possible based on looking at a photo of the back of some fella's head' thread.

icebox
12th Jul 2002, 10:38
Gin Slinger

So true, so true!

Icebox:D :D :D

Leslie
12th Jul 2002, 13:08
Rumour control has it that BA are to scrap the cadet scheme in the future as it is too expensive. Plenty of DEPs and people up-to-standard that are happy to fork out themselves for the integrated course. Good decision? I doubt it but needs must Percy when the Devil farts in your face (to quote E.Blackadder)

no sponsor
12th Jul 2002, 13:14
What's your source Leslie? Reliable rumour, opinion, onions?

Simon Z
12th Jul 2002, 17:04
Leslie. You are very wrong.

BA will recover from the plight it's in at the moment. When it does it will probably take direct entry pilots first as they will be type rated and able to be online quickly. Cadet pilots will follow as they always have in the past. Aviation is set to grow very steadily over the medium to long term particularly with the huge expansion plans of the low cost carriers which will soak pilots up. The CEP is one sure way BA can get the type of people they want as there are always many more applicants than places - much more so than DEP.

So wannabees every where, hang in there. Your opportunity will come eventually. Just do something useful untill then!

Leslie
12th Jul 2002, 18:12
Simon Z,
granted I may be ( and if I may say I hope I am) very wrong but this is a rumour network and this is a rumour I heard from a mate a little further up the 75 list.
Naturally contradicting this I met a certain person in singles a few months ago that indicated the scheme would be started again in due course. I would totally concour with your sentiments re keep going for it though.Unfortunately my application for cadetship got lost in the system whilst at Uni (allegedly!) so I went via another route the hard way but got here in the end!
Hope all is well on the 320 and to illustrate how rumour control works, our bus driver today after a trip said that Rod had resigned! Rumour control indeed!!!
yours aye,
Leslie

bigles
14th Jul 2002, 12:48
WATCH OUT ROD,S RECORD IS NOT ALL THAT GOOD.CX IS STILL RECOVERING AND ANSETT WENT TO THE WALL, PARTLY AS A RESULT OF MANAGEMENT BLUNDERS, WHILST HE WAS AT THE WHEEL.
WAS LONG ON PROMISES,SHORT ON ACTION AFTER SLASHING AND BURNING. I BELIEVE HE WAS LOOKING FOR A "CRITICAL MASS":rolleyes:

flash_of_darkness
15th Jul 2002, 06:56
Leslie and Simon Z

I've also heard the rumour that the BA cadet scheme is no more, and BA are to rely entirely on DEP's and SSP's. Came from one of the fleet management bods, so it's as reliable as they are (I leave you to make your own mind up about that).

Personally I think it's a stupid idea, but that doesn't mean they won't do it.

Flash.

captainbirdseye
18th Jul 2002, 08:03
Heard off a reliable source in BA that they may start recruiting (flight crew) by the end of the year.

CBE

Splat
18th Jul 2002, 10:27
CBE,

In light of some of the above comments, do you have any information what sort of recruits they will be looking for?

S

Simon Z
18th Jul 2002, 10:39
BA will start their cadet pilot programme again when the time is right. It is both an investment for them in terms of the type of people they want in the company as pilots, and the the initial cost (lets say in the region of £50,000) is easily recouperted in the long term. BA pay their CEP less in the first instance, and that is another way their initial financial out lay is returned in the first few years. Airlines look at the long term for their pilot recriutment, but must also react in the short term. Hence at this moment CEP is closed. In the short term this investment is not needed.

This is not to say that the nature of the scheme will remain the same in years to come. It has changed alot since the days of Hamble, when it was even more of a cushy number than than it is today.

If we look at the long term, aviation has a bright future. Too often people get bogged down in the moment and can't see the wood for the trees. For wannabes times are bad at the moment. But the future is bright.....I wish you all the best!

Sean Dell
18th Jul 2002, 10:39
Maybe the DEPs will be fewer and further between soon - particularly as there is no FSS pension to attract them. I would imagine a lot of potential Military DEPs are suddenly considering staying put where the grass may be slightly greener. Or I may be wrong!