PDA

View Full Version : EZY INV-LTN diverted to EDI

ajamieson
11th Jul 2002, 15:50
An EZY 737 was met on the taxiway at EDI by an ambulance this afternoon. EasyJet press office say it was an INV-LTN, diverted because of a medical emergency (pax, not crew).

Anyone know any more?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jul 2002, 16:01
Why does anyone need to know? It's pretty boring stuff..

ajamieson
11th Jul 2002, 16:19
HD was there any need for that comment? Are all of the other threads here so much more fascinating?

BTW, I need to know because it's my job to find out.

The woman was dead on arrival in hospital in Edinburgh. I know an incident such as this is fairly routine but it is hardly "pretty boring" for those involved.

Kiltie
11th Jul 2002, 17:13
HD remarks like yours are precisely the reason why I rarely use this website anymore. It seems to be infested with insults and nastiness borne of severe cowardice from those who use keyboards as opportunities for impoliteness. May I suggest if you're not interested, then don't post.

Davey Clark
11th Jul 2002, 17:21
Couldn't agree more chaps. Involvement in a an incident creates an interest for all involved. Maybe we should reverse those initials!

Wings level, Ball in the puddle!

fmgc
11th Jul 2002, 19:16
Pretty "run of the mill stuff" though don't you think? Hardly going to set the world alight!!!

Raw Data
11th Jul 2002, 20:20
>> BTW, I need to know because it's my job to find out. <<

Ah, that would make you a journalist then, thanks for the heads-up! :D

Seriously though, don't you think trawling for this sort of info here is a little demeaning? Journalists searching for tidbits on PPRuNe is one of the reasons a lot of folk don't visit any more.

BTW which EDI news organisation do you work for?

TheFox
11th Jul 2002, 20:33
I see absolutely nothing wrong with HD’s post,
Stop ambulance chasing.

ajamieson do you think anyone involved who values there job is going to say anything ?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

t'aint natural
11th Jul 2002, 21:56
Aisleman:
There's a world of difference between professionals discussing a situation of vital interest to them (conjecture included) and hacks trawling a website in search of the tiny foundation for yet another dose of inane, sensationalist drivel from which they can profit by misinforming the gullible. HD is right; yellow scribblers whose sole professional qualification is ignorance should not be pandered to here.

ajamieson
11th Jul 2002, 23:18
thanks for the heads-up!

It says in my profile that I'm a journalist, and I said in my post that I'd received information from the press office - which only takes calls from journalists. It's not exactly a secret, Raw Data.

This is a fairly run of the mill incident and I don't think it is worthy of much coverage. But I have a responsibility to ensure that whatever appears in print, no matter how small, is accurate and fair. Journalists cannot trawl PPRuNE for "tidbits" because the information is anonymous and unconfirmed (and hence all but useless), but is it good for putting things in perspective. In this instance, the EasyJet press office provided all the necessary information, but remember most press officers have no more expertise in aviation than your average punter.

BTW which EDI news organisation do you work for?

I can't win with this one. If I don't tell you, you'll accuse me of cowardice. As it happens, I work for The Scotsman. Raw Data which organisation do you work for?

Kiltie is absolutely correct when he says people are in fact put off PPRuNE by nastiness and thoughtless insults which are totally unnecessary.

In a sensible and mature environment, a journalist would be applauded for making the extra effort to improve accuracy and the understanding of issues by seeking advice from as many sources as possible. Meanwhile, on Planet PPRuNE...

Gaza
12th Jul 2002, 08:48
AJ

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Raw Data et al - Jorno's have taken a great deal of flack on PPRuNe (a lot of the time with good justification) but here we have someone who makes no secret of his occupation asking for clarification on a couple of issues (death in flight and UA diversion) and gets abused for it. Banning stories on aviation is not an option so what would you rather have - accurate reporting or inaccurate drivel??

sky9
12th Jul 2002, 09:32
AJ ( and other journalist trawling this site)

Under the thread Author there is a phrase "just another number" For a small contribution to Danny's wallet you could pay to put "Journalist with the Scotsman" or similar. Yes I know that it is in the profile but people don't refer to that all the time. Then there would be no doubt who you are and what you do.

One word of warning however: Not everyone is what they say they are. Someone I know used to dress up as an airline pilot to pull the girls in the local hotel. The same goes on this site.

orange pilot
12th Jul 2002, 10:14
Guys a lady as died spare thought for her family and friends right now.....................:( RIP

rupetime
12th Jul 2002, 12:33
HD - I thought you lot were supposed to be overworked, strikes
me you have plenty of time to post such cr*p - you spend all day looking at screens then come home and do it....get a life

Raw Data
12th Jul 2002, 13:07
ajamieson (and, I suppose, Gaza )

Sad, isn't it.

Back in the good old days, journalists were sufficiently skilled in the use of the english language that they could detect the simple and obvious use of ironic humour at a thousand paces. Those days, it seems, have passed. Must be the curse of the internet.

Yes, I read your profile (and did a search of your recent posts) and thus established what you do. That much should be obvious from the end of my post.

I can't win with this one. If I don't tell you, you'll accuse me of cowardice.

Now this is really sad.

You don't know me, and yet you make a completely erroneous judgement on my motives.

As it happens, I have close contacts with several journalists. These are responsible, aviation-minded folk who call me to discuss aviation stories. They appreciate the perspective of a professional pilot when assessing the content of a story. This is due to the too-frequent innacuracy of news stories- for example the BBC1 reporter insisting that once the DHL aircraft responded to the a TCAS RA, there was no possible way to prevent a collision.

So, the reason I asked who you worked for was to know who I could call if I ever saw a completely erroneous story in a Scottish paper.

Now, if the pair of you re-read my posts, you will see that there are in fact NO insults, NO nastiness and NO thoughtlessness there. If you can find any, show me and I will apologise. Of course you may both need to remove the blinkers of preconception from you eyes first.

Who do I work for? An airline with a base in Edinburgh...

Gaza
12th Jul 2002, 13:17
For those who have not seen the comments from Danny on the other thread, see below.

Hey, can we cut some slack to Mr Jamieson here. He has gone to the trouble of asking for our comments before he submits an article for publication in a newspaper, even though he admits that is probably a non-event and all I can see is some discussion about UA load factors and a snipe at him for his efforts.

As far as I can see it is a well written article trying to make something out of a low priority news story. If there has to be anything written about a non-event such as this then at least let us praise Mr Jamieson for at least making the effort to ask our opinion. It has been reported and that is that.

If only more reporters were as considerate and careful about their reporting.

--------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Raw Data
12th Jul 2002, 20:56
In case anybody else hasn't got it yet (Gaza obviously hasn't), I support responsible journalists. Always have done, as other journalists on PPRuNe know.

Sad I should have to be so direct, but there you go...

t'aint natural
12th Jul 2002, 22:09
Jamieson:

You say: "Journalists cannot trawl PPRuNE for "tidbits" because the information is anonymous and unconfirmed (and hence all but useless), but is it good for putting things in perspective."

Don't make me laugh. PPRUNE is quoted copiously and widely, unconfirmed, anonymous or not. It's a fabulous resource for hacks who would otherwise have to make the whole thing up. Why don't you stick to the latter, instead of trying to lend some spurious authenticity to your dribblings.

Gaza
12th Jul 2002, 22:16
obvious use of ironic humour

Raw Data - There is a fine line between irony and sarcasm and I read your post as the latter. As you have apoligised for any misunderstanding, so will I. :D

I did not see your response as I was pasting Danny's comments at the same time.

(Raw Data To avoid any misunderstanding this next bit is general and not directed at you ;)) - Just for information I am not a journalist. I can also confirm that ajamieson is who he says he is. We have met and I have his business card. In today's Scotsman he has written an article abour Air Wales taking over the EDI-CWL route following Ba's decision to drop it. Hopefully the coverage that this received can help Air Wales make a success of the route and help them grow. Something I'm sure all involved, or having an interest, in aviation will support.

Article from todays Scotsman (http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/business.cfm?id=749692002)

Air Wales takes over Scots routes

Alastair Jamieson

A FLEDGLING airline is to restore air links between Scotland and Wales after British Airways dropped its services between Edinburgh, Glasgow and Cardiff.

Air Wales, a small airline founded three years ago by Swansea property tycoon Roy Thomas, will operate twice-daily flights between the two capitals from August.

Earlier this year, BA announced it was pulling out of the route altogether as the first part of a program of cutbacks aimed at stemming losses of up to £1 million a day. The decision left Scotland and Wales with no direct air link, forcing business travellers to use Bristol Airport or make a six-hour train journey instead.

Air Wales, which uses a tiny fleet of 19-seater Dornier 228 aircraft and currently flies from Cardiff and Swansea to Dublin, Cork and Jersey, will fly twice-daily on weekdays between Cardiff and Edinburgh and once daily between the Welsh capital and Glasgow. It will offer one flight on each route on Sundays.

Tickets are priced at £99 return.

Air Wales is purchasing two 46-seater ATR-42 aircraft to help cope with the demands of the new routes, which will begin on 12 August - in the same week that BA operates its last flights on the route.

The airline hit the headlines earlier this year when it announced it was introducing a full cabin crew service - with very short stewardesses.

Because of the size of the planes, the crew recruited were all 5ft 4in or under. The airline was not obliged under aviation rules to provide a cabin service because the aircraft held fewer than 20 passengers.

The decision to maintain the link between the two nations represents a victory for business passengers and for the tourism industry in both Scotland and Wales, and comes a week after the successful low-cost airline, bmi Baby, announced it was to base its second hub at Cardiff airport.

Bmi Baby, an offshoot of bmi British Midland, already operates cheap flights to a number of European destinations from its base at East Midlands Airport.

Air Wales chairman, Roy Thomas, said: "Our new services between Wales and Edinburgh and Glasgow complete Air Wales’ celtic connection. The principality is now firmly linked to Ireland through services to Dublin and Cork from both Cardiff and Swansea Airports. We’ve already seen these services prove an enormous success and we’re hoping that our two new Scottish destinations prove equally successful.

"Strong air links between Scotland and Wales are vital for business between both nations and Air Wales is stepping-in to ensure flights are still available between Scotland and Wales.

"The damage that could have been done if this link had been broken is unimaginable, the only options left available would have been train and road journeys of huge length, in comparison with the hour and a half flight time on our services between Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow."

He added: "We’re also hoping these new services will further encourage tourism between Wales and Scotland which we have seen take place with our other routes between Wales, Ireland and Jersey.

We’ll be laying on special one and two night deals with accommodation for people who want to make a mini-break, visiting Wales and Scotland."

ATCbabe
12th Jul 2002, 23:43
aisleman,

"sorry to bore you - the death of a person, albeit just a SLF. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same had it been a crew member? "

It would not have mattered who it was, passenger or crew. The fact is there was a medical emergeny and it was dealt with as quickly and efficiently as we could deal with it.
I can tell you that there was not one controller who left work last night that was not sadened by the news that the passenger had died in the end.

My thoughts, and I'm sure the thoughts of all those involved yesterday, go out to the family and friends of the deceased.
:(

ajamieson
13th Jul 2002, 18:14
Raw Data to be fair, YOU made an erroneous judgement on MY motives in the first place. Having said that, I singled you out for criticism and I apologise. You've got mail, btw.

Thank you to Gaza for running to my defence on PPRuNE. That's another drink I owe him. :D