PDA

View Full Version : Outback Pilots on Ch 7

outnabout
30th Apr 2017, 01:21
I see the first promos this morning on Ch 7 Mate for Outback Pilots. Part of the promo features a PC12 up North, and separately, the crew at William Creek.

Regrettably, the footage that TV producers decides makes for good viewing is usually not what the Regulators wish to see.

I wish anyone involved with these sort of programs all the best of luck. I thought the ongoing nightmare that dogged Keeping Up With The Jones would have served as sufficient warning...

OZBUSDRIVER
30th Apr 2017, 01:42
Is it the usual Discovery channel formula? Death and disaster awaits:ugh:

megan
30th Apr 2017, 02:25
I'm sure Trevor would have held tight reins.

swh
30th Apr 2017, 02:42
Qantas has this onboard on the IFE.

PLovett
30th Apr 2017, 07:30
I heard about it some time ago and was wondering when it would hit the screen. Any date for the screening?

Berealgetreal
30th Apr 2017, 11:14
The one out of PNG on Suzi Air s a good one to watch.

outnabout
1st May 2017, 22:49
I did hear a rumour that apparently Trev rang the Powers That Be and said "it is a telly show, things may be exaggerated or edited for effect".

Apparently got the response - if we see something that breaches the regs, we will ping ya.

So that's helpful.

Checklist Charlie
2nd May 2017, 02:55
we will ping ya

Surely you didn't expect any other response from those that create a solution and then go looking for a problem.

CC:rolleyes:

josephfeatherweight
2nd May 2017, 03:49
Apparently got the response - if we see something that breaches the regs, we will ping ya.

I'm all for the usual Community-Against-Sensible-Aviation-bashing, but what were they meant to say - "If we see something that breaches the regs, we'll turn a blind-eye???"
I don't know why ANYONE would get involved in this sort of TV production - strikes me as a recipe for disaster. When the cameras are rolling, the producers have hyped the atmosphere and it's human nature for a keen, young pilot to "push it".
I wouldn't touch it with my 10-foot pole...

megan
2nd May 2017, 04:34
I wouldn't touch it with my 10-foot pole..One didn't.

Dick Smith
2nd May 2017, 06:00
But remember the series in Alaska with the really cute owners daughter who was also a pilot.

Trevor would find it hard to compete with that!

It should promote Aus outback aviation so great!

Desert Flower
2nd May 2017, 11:01
I don't know why ANYONE would get involved in this sort of TV production - strikes me as a recipe for disaster

The trouble is some people have big egos, so they do it anyway. The old saying "Fools step in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind :ugh:

DF.

Pinky the pilot
2nd May 2017, 11:32
The one out of PNG on Suzi Air s a good one to watch.

Bulls**t!:mad::ugh:

For a start it wasn't in PNG but Irian Jaya. And it was overhyped and overdramatised as well!:ugh:

There was a thread on that particular show but I do not have the ability to insert the appropriate link to it here.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd May 2017, 01:31
Doing those 'short fielders' on those 'up and down' strips was all part of the day's work, wasn't it Mr Pinky....

ONYA, and I do agree that it is all 'hyped up' for the 'couch potatoes'.....

Cheeerrsss..... :ok::ok:

Pinky the pilot
3rd May 2017, 05:50
Doing those 'short fielders' on those 'up and down' strips was all part of the day's work, wasn't it Mr Pinky....

Em nau!:ok:

Duck Pilot
3rd May 2017, 08:22
Maybe I should sell my PNG DVD production, most of the flying footage was taken by a good mate who was my FO at the time. All flown in a Twin Otter with full audio recorded through the intercom, operating out of POM and TBL. We even interviewed our ground crew, very entertaining although there are a couple of aircraft in it that are no longer flying due to CFIT accidents.

I thought it would have been good to capture the flying at the time (2001) to make a doco, I've even still got the raw footage stored electronically.

Pinky the pilot
3rd May 2017, 10:01
Duck Pilot; Why don't you investigate the possibilities of turning all that into a proper documentary?

I should think that there would be some TV production Company somewhere who may be interested.

There have been times when I really wish that I had a Video Camera in my taim bilong PNG. They did exist, but they were the bulky things that held the whole VHS cassette.

One of the Brothers at the Catholic Mission in Kerema had some excellent footage of taking off in an Islander, the subsequent feathering of the right hand prop and an assymetric return to Kerema.:eek:

The audio quality of the footage was so good that you could even hear, above the sound of the remaining engine operating at 25"/2500rpm, the 'slap' of the pre-landing Checklist tiles being turned down, and the expletives:eek: I let go as I completed the checklist!:mad::ugh::=

emeritus
3rd May 2017, 13:01
Outnabout....

When they say.."If we see something that breaches the regs, we will ping ya' , what they are really saying is ..."if we see something that breaches the regs..AND WE CAN BE CONFIDANT OF A SUCCESFUL PROSECUTION.. we will ping ya ".

Bullies..always been and always will be.

Emeritus

Iron Bar
5th May 2017, 10:37
Have just seen two episodes on QF IFE. An embarrassment to all those who allowed themselves to be associated with it. Especially one operator who I thought would know better. Confected, staged, sensationalised and manipulated, with the pilots edited to appear careless, flustered and more worried about being late than anything else.

I hope CASA ask some questions but my guess is that those involved will be able to show any apparent "questionable" activities didn't actually occur and were staged. (not sure about the legals of crop spraying)

It will probably rate, producers and media execs know the formula. But it will rate at the expense of the reputation of professional GA pilots. For entertainment and a look at bush flying, Suzi air head and shoulders above it. (Not-withstanding Pinky's comments)

outnabout
5th May 2017, 23:56
Grab your remote, and get the popcorn ready.

First episode is scheduled for 8.30pm, Tues, May 16, on 7Mate.

Really hope that it doesn't get subject to the dramatic voiceovers and manufactured drama that most reality shows do (but fear I am going to be disappointed)

Flying Binghi
6th May 2017, 00:59
Really hope that it doesn't get subject to the dramatic voiceovers and manufactured drama that.....

That's television...

kingRB
6th May 2017, 01:39
Really hope that it doesn't get subject to the dramatic voiceovers and manufactured drama that most reality shows do (but fear I am going to be disappointed)

Spoiler Alert: It does

Pinky the pilot
6th May 2017, 06:59
How convenient. I shall be out of the Country and unable to watch it.:ok:

Won't have to buy a new TV then...:ooh:

Engineer_aus
16th May 2017, 05:45
I thought old mate Reppa has his planes taken off him and CASA grounded him?

ACMS
16th May 2017, 12:53
So, just finished. What do you think?

I didn't think it was too bad, quite enjoyed it actually. Usual exaggerated weather issues flying into BDV, making it look worse than it was:}. I thought that Trevor's brother was keen to hand swing a 3 blade prop.:eek:

The croppy works bloody hard and the Heli Pilots are nuts.....

Sped up video a couple of times of the Helos but at least the Turbine Air Tractor actually sounded like a Turbine!!

Desert Flower
16th May 2017, 13:37
So, just finished. What do you think?

I didn't think it was too bad, quite enjoyed it actually. Usual exaggerated weather issues flying into BDV, making it look worse than it was:}. I thought that Trevor's brother was keen to hand swing a 3 blade prop.:eek:

Believe me I've seen pilots hand swinging bigger 3 bladed props than the ones one a C210!

DF.

gerry111
16th May 2017, 14:36
Believe me I've seen pilots hand swinging bigger 3 bladed props than the ones one a C210!

DF.

Somewhere I've read that bigger isn't necessarily better? :(

megan
17th May 2017, 00:44
Believe me I've seen pilots hand swinging bigger 3 bladed props than the ones one a C210Like a DC-3 or -4, and other big pistons, the procedure is in the manuals, piece of rope is involved.

no_one
17th May 2017, 00:55
At least they didn't do this.....

Ecosb5mSDwo

Desert Flower
17th May 2017, 11:43
Like a DC-3 or -4, and other big pistons, the procedure is in the manuals, piece of rope is involved.

Biggest I've seen was on an Aerocommander 500 (Shrike) & there was no rope involved.

DF.

BEACH KING
17th May 2017, 12:11
The show was pretty good IMO.
The voice over.. repeating what just happened 30 seconds ago, annoys the F out of me.
It was a much more watchable reality TV show than the brain dead cooking, singing, renovation, real-estate and relationship **** than adorns every free to air channel at present. :ugh:

Desert Flower
17th May 2017, 12:45
The voice over.. repeating what just happened 30 seconds ago, annoys the F out of me.

It's exactly the same on Outback Truckers. And they are both over dramatised to hell. My hubby (an ex truckie) often comments on the obvious mistakes in the trucking one, while I go off about the ones in any program to do with aircraft.

DF.

outnabout
23rd May 2017, 22:03
I did hear a rumour that Repa is not the only one who is grounded these days....

patagonianworelaud
23rd May 2017, 22:52
The commentary is crap and they subtitles erroneous:-

"Business Centre this is Rescue 510", and getting "airbourne". If that is their production standard it makes you wonder about anything else that is said.

The crop duster bloke is a task master, it seems. Putting the second pilot straight to work after he's just flown 2000km to get there, and in a day, too. What would that be, around 8 - 10 hours ferry time??

The whole program is beset with errors ..............

YPJT
23rd May 2017, 23:20
Patagonianworelaud
The commentary is crap and they subtitles erroneous:-

"Business Centre this is Rescue 510", and getting "airbourne". If that is their production standard it makes you wonder about anything else that is said.
Nothing that couldn't be fixed by getting a pilot to run an eye / ear over the subtitles. Clearly the starring crew wouldn't have time to go to studios to do that stuff. Might be easier if they just sorted the intercom audio recording issues in the helo.

Maybe a lot of errors but tell me one reality TV show that is 100% factual. Its for entertainment, not an educational documentary.

zanzibar
24th May 2017, 11:57
I'm with Pata.

Sloppy editing which casts a shadow over the whole production. The masses wouldn't know the shortfalls but even a semi decent pilot would. Mind you the masses probably think Reality Shows are just that and not fabricated, staged and over-dramatised rubbish.

Jabawocky
25th May 2017, 00:01
So who have CASA got their claws into over it?

:uhoh:

25th May 2017, 00:13
fabricated, staged and over-dramatised rubbish
..................:ok:

ACMS
25th May 2017, 11:53
Yeah maybe but it's fun to watch an Aviation program from your own country isn't it.

airag
26th May 2017, 05:36
Watched 5 minutes , nearly vomited , had to change channels . About as expected !

Fris B. Fairing
26th May 2017, 06:15
I like this type of program because I have a very short attention span and I need to be reminded of what I saw several minutes previously.

outnabout
6th Jun 2017, 23:35
Watched this again last night.

Blimey!!

6th Jun 2017, 23:42
Yeah maybe but it's fun to watch an Aviation program from your own country isn't it.

Doesn't matter that it was made here or anywhere else, it is still :mad:

After spending 50 odd years in GA, there is very relationship between what is real life and this :mad:

geeup
7th Jun 2017, 01:45
Think I've missed my calling..

Band a Lot
7th Jun 2017, 03:41
Personally I would have checked the fuse before the cannon plug on the actuator!

Part 1 -- Maintenance on Class B aircraft other than balloons

1. Removal or installation of landing gear tyres, but only if the removal or installation does not involve the complete jacking of the aircraft.
2. Repair of pneumatic tubes of landing gear tyres.
3. Servicing of landing gear wheel bearings.
4. Replacement of defective safety wiring or split pins, but not including wiring or pins in control systems.
5. Removal or refitting of a door, but only if:
(a) no disassembly of the primary structure or operating system of the aircraft is involved; and
(b) if the aircraft is to be operated with the door removed--the aircraft has a flight manual and the manual indicates that the aircraft may be operated with the door removed.
6. Replacement of side windows in an unpressurised aircraft.
7. Replacement of seats, but only if the replacement does not involve disassembly of any part of the primary structure of the aircraft.
8. Repairs to the upholstery or decorative furnishings of the interior of the cabin or cockpit.
9. Replacement of seat belts or harnesses.
10. Replacement or repair of signs and markings.
11. Replacement of bulbs, reflectors, glasses, lenses or lights.
12. Replacement, cleaning, or setting gaps of, spark plugs.
13. Replacement of batteries.
14. Changing oil filters or air filters.
15. Changing or replenishing engine oil or fuel.
16. Lubrication not requiring disassembly or requiring only the removal of non-structural parts, or of cover plates, cowlings and fairings.
17. Replenishment of hydraulic fluid.
18. Application of preservative or protective materials, but only if no disassembly of the primary structure or operating system of the aircraft is involved.
19. Removal or replacement of equipment used for agricultural purposes.
20. Removal or replacement of glider tow hooks.
21. Carrying out of an inspection under regulation 42G (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_reg/car1988263/s42g.html) of a flight control system that has been assembled, adjusted, repaired, modified or replaced.
22. Carrying out of a daily inspection of an aircraft.
23. Connection and disconnection of optional dual control in an aircraft without the use of any tools for the purpose of transitioning the aircraft from single to dual, or dual to single, pilot operation.
24. Inspections or checks set out in the following documents in circumstances where the document clearly states that the maintenance may be carried out by the pilot of the aircraft and the maintenance does not require the use of any tools or equipment:
(a) the aircraft's approved maintenance data;
(b) the aircraft's flight manual or an equivalent document;
(c) any instructions issued by the NAA that approved the type certificate for the aircraft.
25. For an aircraft that is installed with an oxygen system for the exclusive use of ill or injured persons on an aircraft used to perform ambulance functions--replenishing the oxygen system installed on the aircraft.

ACMS
7th Jun 2017, 07:13
Yes true but I'd rather watch something on Aviation no matter how silly than the other crap on cooking dating etc.....

ACMS
7th Jun 2017, 10:09
Ok I change my mind.......I nearly threw the remote at the TV..

Scott the plumber flying the 182.......come on mate what a load of BS....you make a good actor!! Did they script you in that crap?

Band a Lot
7th Jun 2017, 12:40
Ok I change my mind.......I nearly threw the remote at the TV..

Scott the plumber flying the 182.......come on mate what a load of BS....you make a good actor!! Did they script you in that crap?

I would ask "where is the blow torch" or do you hire them on site?

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/primus-211056-swivel-propane-burner-kit?gclid=CPOMpN_gq9QCFVIGKgod6NMD7Q

111fairchild
7th Jun 2017, 12:48
Long time reader, first time posting etc.

I can't help but notice the common theme in many previous posts is an overall negative impression of the show. I however enjoy a bit of the spotlight on the Aussie GA scene. Especially when we've got guys and girls trying to get a start in the industry and they don't even know where any of these places are as suggested in another recent thread.

The show has done well to cover a variety of niche operations across a massive geographical area and with a balance of fixed wing and rotary. I will admit that there is the odd slip up with subtitles and editing scenes, but overall it doesn't detract greatly from the entertainment.

If you find your watching it and can't help yourself from rolling your eyes... lighten up :) Not everyone is in aviation to pump up their own tyres by denigrating and casting aspersions on others. Although you are certainly entitled to your own opinions.

I will admit that I do expect a certain degree of journalistic licence throughout the show. Because of this it doesn't come as any great shock when it does pop up. I am reminded of the story of the truck driver who used to get really stressed and annoyed when other drivers would cut in front of him and display other risky manoeuvres. When asked how often these incidents happened, he said at least a few times a day. When it was pointed out to him that these events were likely to continue happening, it greatly reduced his stress reaction because he could reliably predict their occurrences in the future. It then became a case of nothing new to get upset about, so why throw the remote at the TV? Lol.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Jun 2017, 13:18
Re ' so why throw the remote at the TV? Lol. '

Because the 'production' is worse than watching 'Skippy' the bush kangaroo....

You know, when the 'production' staff are trying to make a desiccated stuffed dummy 'come to life'.....

Tis the same effect I feel......

Not too many cheers.....nope....:yuk:

Stationair8
7th Jun 2017, 21:53
Aeroplane Repo is the way to go!

Now getting back to Outback Pilots, did Repa finish that spraying job?

111fairchild
8th Jun 2017, 00:14
The show seems to be a bit of a trigger for some. Flashbacks to skippy too. The last production of skippy was 47 years ago. Might go some way to explaining the use of special effects and props.

I hope you're not still affected by these one hour a week episodes in 47 years.

Sounds a bit pedantic and melodramatic to me.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Jun 2017, 01:38
As 'Skip' might say......

Tch Tch Tch Tch....

:E

Art Smass
8th Jun 2017, 02:05
Because the 'production' is worse than watching 'Skippy' the bush kangaroo....

:

tsk - denigration of Skippy - unorstraylian:=:p

currawong
8th Jun 2017, 10:01
I think appearing on such a show might be career limiting.

:ugh:

gerry111
8th Jun 2017, 10:07
I think appearing on such a show might be career limiting.

:ugh:

But I reckon not for Trevor..

It's "reality TV" crap but I find it entertaining. :uhoh:

Pinky the pilot
9th Jun 2017, 11:57
but I find it entertaining.

Oh come on, Gerry111; I find it quite hard to believe that your standards have slipped that far!:=:D:D

Glorified Dus Briver
12th Jun 2017, 02:36
. I find it hard to understand how it got past the "pilot" episode.

I see what you did there :ok::D:}:}:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

YPJT
13th Jun 2017, 14:22
Apparently tonight's episode was even more cringeworthy

Ethel the Aardvark
13th Jun 2017, 16:21
The old saying ' there's money in sh!t'
And I am not talking about the outback flying plumber

outnabout
13th Jun 2017, 19:32
So, as far as I could tell, the death defying feats from tonight's episode include:
Flying night VFR
Flying into an uncontrolled airstrip (Ayers Rock)
Flying without radar coverage (day AND night which - according to the Voice Of Doom commentator - NO pilot EVER wants to do!)
Flying into an airport after the tower has closed for the day (Alice)

FFS

fujii
13th Jun 2017, 21:49
A plumber dressing a stone chip in a prop blade.

Clare Prop
14th Jun 2017, 01:52
Anyone notice the ambient light on the night landing from final was completely different to the light from the go-pro on the wing, which looked like he was landing about ahem 10 minutes before last light? :ugh::D:}

ACMS
14th Jun 2017, 05:55
Just watching it now, "oh no he has no radar on his aircraft, how will he separate himself"

Radar Radar, stop going on about bloody Radar......

Grrrrr

cattletruck
14th Jun 2017, 10:23
Watched it with the volume down. Can't understand why they keep chopping through the number of running stories, at least the aircraft and scenery look nice.

Drudgingly made it to the end of the show and the biggest reward was a story on the Super Guppy on another channel had just started :ok:

Captain Dart
14th Jun 2017, 10:57
Just saw the Guppy episode on 'Mighty Planes'. Now that is how to make an aviation reality show. Not too much emphasis on the inevitable 'deadline' and not one single 'But...there's a problem'. No 'reminder scenes'. No stupid over the top music crescendos every five minutes (even when a flight deck window shattered at altitude). Educational, even for pilots, and beautiful scenery. And a very interesting old aircraft with unpretentious and competent crews (one captain had flown the Space Shuttle).

Interesting that they disconnect multiple control cables to swing the nose open on the thing. Stratoliner/Stratocruiser? airframe, B52 mainwheels, 707 nosewheel, P3 engines, Herc props!

BEACH KING
16th Jun 2017, 22:40
Everyone on here that thinks the show is rubbish, appear to be very well updated on the goings-on.
So..it begs the question. Why do you continue to watch if it is sooo bad?
I'll watch it over Summer Bay any day, because I like watching anything to do with aircraft.
At an airport. I will watch aircraft taxiing, takeoff, land etc for no other reason than it is more interesting than anything else at the time (unless of course a smoking hot young lady happens to be in eyeshot).
The show is produced for the masses who have no idea of aircraft. If it were 100% accurate in our view, the show would probably be unwatchable by the proletariat who have not the slightest understanding of aircraft.
Apparently it rates quite well and is distributed internationally, so that can only bolster our tourism industry....which provides the vast majority of employment for most on here.
The plumber bloke (who I met recently at YBAS) waiting inline for the hire car at Uluru made me chuckle. Why couldn't one of the local Plods pick him up to go fix their own ****house ?

Desert Flower
17th Jun 2017, 01:14
A plumber dressing a stone chip in a prop blade.

So? Is he not supposed to do that because he's a plumber who happens to be flying his own aircraft? Is the flying padre not supposed to dress the prop on his own aircraft because he's a padre? :ugh:

DF.

megan
17th Jun 2017, 01:23
The show is produced for the masses who have no idea of aircraft. If it were 100% accurate in our view, the show would probably be unwatchable by the proletariat who have not the slightest understanding of aircraftUnfortunately their understanding is not going to be enhanced by watching this show, quite the reverse. Heroic pilots taking off with a hill X miles away and directly in their path, death defying flying at night, no radar (sob), and having to land after the tower closes (wail). The average Joe is going to have all their negatives of light aircraft reinforced.

Band a Lot
17th Jun 2017, 02:38
So? Is he not supposed to do that because he's a plumber who happens to be flying his own aircraft? Is the flying padre not supposed to dress the prop on his own aircraft because he's a padre? :ugh:

DF.

A plumber like a padre, is not qualified to file a prop.

Owning your own aircraft does not make anyone qualified to fly it.

The OP was indicating that the wrong qualification was being used to file a prop.

But did he have a MA? or was a LAME in the background giving "direct supervision and then signed the MR"?

fujii
17th Jun 2017, 04:06

DF.

It's not pilot approved maintenance. LAME job.

Jungmeister
17th Jun 2017, 05:35
Its an OK production but as with anything that you have some knowledge of there are glaring errors. I notice that the during the much feared crosswind landing by the plumber a couple of weeks ago, the wind sock was hanging like a limp sausage as he flashed past!

fujii
17th Jun 2017, 06:08
I wonder what the truck drivers think of the show about their industry.

Desert Flower
17th Jun 2017, 06:53
It's not pilot approved maintenance. LAME job.

So what are you supposed to do if you're in the middle of the outback, & the nearest LAME is several hundred kilometres away? Guess I had better erase all the memories I have of pilots dressing props & doing other things over the years then. And some of them have been pretty high up in the game too - such as a very senior military person!

DF.

outnabout
17th Jun 2017, 07:00
Desert Flower, the legal thing to do is ground the aircraft, fly in an engineer, and have him / her dress the prop and sign the MR. Legally, it is immaterial if the LAME is next door or in the next state....

Cloudee
17th Jun 2017, 07:37
So what are you supposed to do if you're in the middle of the outback, & the nearest LAME is several hundred kilometres away? Guess I had better erase all the memories I have of pilots dressing props & doing other things over the years then. And some of them have been pretty high up in the game too - such as a very senior military person!

DF.

What you are supposed to do is do whatever you need to do but don't do it on national television.

Desert Flower
17th Jun 2017, 08:15
Desert Flower, the legal thing to do is ground the aircraft, fly in an engineer, and have him / her dress the prop and sign the MR. Legally, it is immaterial if the LAME is next door or in the next state....

Yes you made your point - no need to post it twice. :ugh:

DF.

PLovett
17th Jun 2017, 09:43
I wonder what the truck drivers think of the show about their industry.

Their's was on immediately before this one. Also cringeworthy but with more substance to the troubles they face while on the road.

17th Jun 2017, 10:58
Its an OK production but as with anything that you have some knowledge of there are glaring errors.

As I keep telling my First Mate, it is a TV show, not real life.

aroa
18th Jun 2017, 09:49
Plumber...PPL. ?? Carrying his tools of trade and goods for sale...Mmm NO CPL or AOC ??

Reg 206 and all that. Is that plumbers and photographers have been roasted and toasted for that..! LAMEs too!! But that's the 'Sky cops' for ya...!!

Oh ...and dont forget 2 (7)d...allowing an aircraft to be used for a commercial purpose.
They can do ya twice...how good is that .

But remember...Empty skies are Safe Skies.

Cloudee
18th Jun 2017, 12:12
Plumber...PPL. ?? Carrying his tools of trade and goods for sale...Mmm NO CPL or AOC ??

Reg 206 and all that. Is that plumbers and photographers have been roasted and toasted for that..! LAMEs too!! But that's the 'Sky cops' for ya...!!

Oh ...and dont forget 2 (7)d...allowing an aircraft to be used for a commercial purpose.
They can do ya twice...how good is that .

But remember...Empty skies are Safe Skies.

I reckon the plumber is relying on the following definition of private ops. So no CPL or AOC required

(7) For the purposes of these Regulations:

(v) the carriage of persons or the carriage of goods without a charge for the carriage being made other than the carriage, for the purposes of trade, of goods being the property of the pilot, the owner or the hirer of the aircraft;

shall be taken to be employed in private operations.

aroa
19th Jun 2017, 05:12
Ah yes...but the goods he carries, are fitted and sold.
And the cost of hiring the aircraft to fly out to the job would be billed to the Govt Dept /whoever that wanted the plumbing job done.....so there is a charge for 'carriage' of the goods, fitted and sold.
All these things, upchucked by the 'regulator'/polisman depend on the spleen of the day/or lack of interest , or otherwise of CAsA persons.

CAsA's great consistency is its inconsistency in the application of "rule of law" or more specifically in their case. their 'law of rules'

Believe me, its a sh*t show.
Different strokes for different folks is rampant.

fujii
19th Jun 2017, 06:22
Doesn't he one the Cessna? If so, it's private.

outnabout
19th Jun 2017, 10:18
And the last four posts, ladies and gentlemen, sums up GA in Australia here and now. One regulation, four commentators, and five opinions. (or thereabouts)

NOT one regulation, one clear cut and definitive interpretation.

FFS.

(edit - Anglo Saxon language inspired by unnecessary complexities of regs, not by the opinions expressed.)

Duck Pilot
19th Jun 2017, 10:33
What aroa has said is exactly correct, it's a **** show.

I know of a few business who are operating aircraft privately for indirect commercial gain. Only way to try and stamp it out would be for AOC holders to bang on CASA's door and complain. Insurance companies may also have a dim view on paying out in the event of a buster, which could be potentially more painful than a CASA bashing.

Lead Balloon
19th Jun 2017, 10:33
And the last four posts, ladies and gentlemen, sums up GA in Australia here and now. One regulation, four commentators, and five opinions. (or thereabouts)

NOT one regulation, one clear cut and definitive interpretation.

FFS.

(edit - Anglo Saxon language inspired by unnecessary complexities of regs, not by the opinions expressed.)Hopefully AndrewR will pipe up and say it's a private operation that has to be authorised by an AOC.

aroa
19th Jun 2017, 12:56
And the great tragedy of all this is... 20 years of lost opportunities..thanks to the bloody minded, control freak bureaucratic bastards and manipulators in (non) Aviation House.

I still have a copy to read (and weep over)....

In April 1997 the Minister and the Board adopted the bold new COOP/ Classification of Operations Policy based on the FARs .

In the section regarding pvt ops was the now allowable..A private pilot, his "tool box" and his aircraft could operate a non passenger carrying business.
A plumber with pipes for sale, an electrician with his light bulbs for sale ...and jezzus wept ,even a photographer with his camera and his images for sale, would have been the go.
In 'Safety Digests' there were even change lists of what you were going to be able to do in this brave new world.
Over the next few years while they/ CAsA or whatever the fcuk they called themselves then,got their arses into gear all this slowly changed and the last vestiges faded off their screen after 5 years. AND IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Open Skies for None....well done the faarking 'Iron Ring' and attendant 'dead wood' !!

And its been downhill ever since. Doesnt say much for the Board either...no guts and go to drive it forward. Nice lunches and dosh tho.

Remember the ASRR ,(CAsA hopes you dont) with all those submissions and subsequent recommendations to be done by CAsA...all going the way of the COOP. Dead over time, with inaction and memory loss, with the Miniscule and pollies of the day long gone.

The aircraft cut out on the Caravan to Canberra read "VH-F*KD. CAsA did it."
How true. !

These days its all about bureaucratic wankery, Managers with titles you cant jump over,
"People and Culture",Stakeholder Engagement.and etc..

CAsA's the stake holder alright...driven right through the heart of GA

Iron Bar
19th Jun 2017, 23:00
Ahhhh the caravan to Canberra. Yes, Mr Rudd and the Wilga would
be great characters for "outback pilots".

aroa
20th Jun 2017, 00:27
Top Idea. IB
I could submit an episode. being the video of the contract investigator's interviews with Larard and Retski, two of the Three Tarmac Turds who all swore false testimony that they saw elevators left and right, on the ground and being refitted. !!! I kid you not ..!!

I have 3 sworn testimonies in a hefty prosecution brief to prove it.
Third Turd fled /was let go from CAsA after allegations I made regarding his earlier 'misdemeanours' as an AME. Funny that...never heard form CAsA about those allegations, so they must have been true.

Makes a great story...but unfortunately the Wilga has a bloody great one piece elevator(singular) that had never been off the aircraft.
And these airworthiness "specialists" were even too faarking dumb to know what they were looking at.
No wonder the CDPP bolted. Charge struck out

One asked if he could change his statement !! and another was white with shock at the realization of the big lie.
And their chaperone Williams leant/knocked his head on the tailplane in dismay !!
Makes for top viewing.!
CAsA went to great and costly lengths to protect the perps, calling criminality just CAsA code breaches... a constructive fraud.

And the lies and bull**** continues ....watch this space.

I will have a VERY entertaining Episode 2 shortly.

Iron Bar
20th Jun 2017, 01:35
I suspect you missed the nuance in my last comment.

zanzibar
20th Jun 2017, 12:15
Such drama tonight - if the lass loses the second suction pump she "won't know her airspeed, altitude or direction".

I'm glad the 310 that I flew wasn't so complicated.

FFS, it's beyond cringeworthy.

Supermouse3
20th Jun 2017, 14:11
I feel sorry for the pilots.
Imagining a show would bring a bit of advertisement and publicity, only to find out all it's actually going to do is scare people away.

aroa
20th Jun 2017, 22:29
You learn something every day.
So thats what the vac pump does...sucks up the altimeter needle to the correct reading, ditto the ASI.
Thanks Ch 7

Flying Binghi
21st Jun 2017, 00:10
:)

I well remember the day when my flying instructor said i were ready to wear a six shooter.....

"...From the producers of Outback Truckers and Railroad Australia comes another outback tale of endurance, risk-taking and daredevilry. Outback Pilots is a 8-part series about modern-day "guns for hire”.

These pilots play a vital role in the ‘do-or-die’ frontier world of the Australian outback, from providing emergency services to delivering essential supplies to isolated communities. Flying at death-defying heights, dodging killer cyclones and battling rough, dirt landing strips, this is some of the most challenging and exhilarating aerial work in the world..."

Outback Pilots | Flame Productions (http://flamemedia.tv/flame-distribution/catalogue/outback-pilots)

aroa
21st Jun 2017, 08:04
Iron Bar yes...after this last CAsA induced episode, my old whiskers are somewhat overly sensitive.

But I'm sure everyone will enjoy the next story....and the outcome.
Well,..err.. maybe not everyone. !!

gerry111
27th Jun 2017, 13:14
Another great fun, entertaining episode at 9-30pm on TV Channel 73 (7Mate) tonight! Good photography, too.

(But far too much advertising for fast food and health and other insurance.)

I reckon that's there's far worse programmes to be seen on FTA TV? :confused:

outnabout
27th Jun 2017, 21:28
Question - the last time I looked at the regs on a specific topic, it was my understanding that a GoPro could only be attached to the exterior of an aircraft with an STC...has this rule changed? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of the regs that approves this..

On a serious note, top marks to the chopper pilot doing fire bombing in the Tiwi Islands. I thought that was the best bit of the entire series.

no_one
27th Jun 2017, 22:49
Outnabout,

This AC from CASA describes the process to get an external camera approved.
https://www.casa.gov.au/file/152206/download?token=SAKV46mV

It a bit of a hassle for an individual, but in the scheme of a whole program series a week's work for an AP and some test flights should sort out all the aircraft used.

Flying Binghi
28th Jun 2017, 02:17
...Such drama tonight - if the lass loses the second suction pump she "won't know her airspeed, altitude or direction"...

Hmmm... one of me aircraft don't even have a "suction pump" - Now that might explain why i'm always lost out in the bush with it..:E

...FFS, its beyond cringeworthy.

Yep, the more we allow lies in the media the more it perculates through every part of it until the media itself loses all contact with reality.

And then we end up with things like this:
"...CNN producer admitting the President Trump-Russia story was “mostly bulls**t” and hyped for “ratings.”..."

Gorka: O?Keefe CNN Video Fake News Scandal ?Complete Vindication for the President? (http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2017/06/27/gorka-okeefe-cnn-video-fake-news-scandal-complete-vindication-president/)

YPJT
28th Jun 2017, 03:13
You'd think if you knew your actions were on film you'd try and nail the centreline on landing :rolleyes:

Started watching but after the first 15 minutes decided to change channel to watch Midsomer Murders.

scavenger
28th Jun 2017, 04:06
Hopefully AndrewR will pipe up and say it's a private operation that has to be authorised by an AOC

Haha yeah I remember that thread. By the end, I thought it was a wind up and gave up. Subsequent offerings convinced me it was for real...

feueraxt
28th Jun 2017, 04:34
It needs more sex and violence.

outnabout
28th Jun 2017, 05:03
No one, I didn't have any success in opening your link.

I did find this, from Australian Flying in 2013, while I was browsing...

CASA has confirmed that pilots will need to comply with the regulations of CASR 21.M to install "GoPro" type cameras on the external surface of an aircraft.

Under CASR 21.M (the old CAR35), a CASA authorised person has to approve the installation against existing airworthiness standards before the aeroplane can be flown.

"Attaching anything to the external surfaces of an aircraft, whether it is the wing or not, is considered a modification," CASA's spokesperson said.

"Depending on what is being attached, it may have an effect on the aerodynamics, structure and depending on its location it can affect the airspeed/altimeter readings, etc. Therefore, the alteration to the aircraft needs to be justified against the applicable airworthiness standard.

"Civil Aviation Regulations (CAR) 1988 regulation 35 was repealed approximately two years ago and replace by CASA Subpart 21.M. However, CASR Subpart 21.M has the same requirements as CAR 35 did.

"CASR Subpart 21.M does not disallow the installation of a modification or alteration to an aircraft, it is a regulation that allows design approval of the modification. CAR 42U requires any modification or repair to an aircraft to be installed in accordance with approved data. Therefore attaching a temporary modification must be done to 21.M approved data by an appropriately licenced person."

With the proliferation of GoPro-style cameras for videos and still shots, the issue has been bought into sharp focus, especially when those shots are published or put on websites.

Read more at CASA Confirms External Camera Ruling - Australian Flying (http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/casa-confirms-external-camera-ruling#Ym6IGwGKH6ZIVHuj.99)

Feueraxt, the sex is provided by professional / conscientious pilots watching this and screaming FFS

Flying Binghi
28th Jun 2017, 05:42
...conscientious pilots watching this...

Oh, well. Garbage bulldropping show that it is at least its got more integrity then the subject matter of those other shows on TV... that's the shows staring turnBull, bisHop, and pYne.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulMurrayLIVE/videos/1746959478666347/

gerry111
28th Jun 2017, 15:05
You'd think if you knew your actions were on film you'd try and nail the centreline on landing :rolleyes:

But the viewers would know that it's OK to cross a broken centre line, painted on bitumen.

no_one
29th Jun 2017, 06:56
Outnabout,

Hopefully this link works:
https://www.casa.gov.au/files/023c01pdf

ACMS
30th Jun 2017, 00:01
"Luck of the draw, when your number's up, your number's up.....":sad:

Oh that's great Tegan........do you pray as well?:bored:

Desert Flower
30th Jun 2017, 08:47
"Luck of the draw, when your number's up, your number's up.....":sad:

Oh that's great Tegan........do you pray as well?:bored:

You know what ACMS? I have always subscribed to that theory too. And no, I don't pray.

DF.

ACMS
1st Jul 2017, 05:42
DF I know mate but it does seem a bit melodramatic even considering the knowledge of the average viewers...We all know a little more planning goes into it, not to mention science and physics.....P charts, W&B etc......

We don't just put an finger in the wind and say "she'll be right, luck of the draw"

Band a Lot
1st Jul 2017, 06:22
CASA has confirmed that pilots will need to comply with the regulations of CASR 21.M to install "GoPro" type cameras on the external surface of an aircraft.

"CASR Subpart 21.M does not disallow the installation of a modification or alteration to an aircraft, it is a regulation that allows design approval of the modification. CAR 42U requires any modification or repair to an aircraft to be installed in accordance with approved data. Therefore attaching a temporary modification must be done to 21.M approved data by an appropriately licenced person."

So what is approved data? and where must it be recorded?

pilotchute
1st Jul 2017, 13:06
I think to myself why on earth would these people agree to be filmed? It's not mandatory. You can say no.

When that Airline show was being filmed at Tiger Airways a few years ago only a couple of people refused to take part.

One of the people who refused worked in Ops so if there was a turn back or AOG and he was working he wouldn't let the production crew in the office. The producers would lose their s*#t at him because 99% of the time nothing happened worth filming. They would wait for shift change then "re enact" the drama.

It was said that the lengths people would go to just to get 10 seconds on TV was scary. They would say anything the producer wanted them too.

gerry111
1st Jul 2017, 14:56
Yes, but it's brilliant entertainment on free to air TV. There's far worse out there!

I just so love the lost cattle and goats stories. (The photography of the bush is always well appreciated by me.)

Invariably, there's a happy ending..

outnabout
5th Jul 2017, 00:05
Done and dusted - Thank the Lord.

Flying Binghi
5th Jul 2017, 04:15
...Yes, but it's brilliant entertainment on free to air TV...

You obviously know a few of the 'actors' in the series and just caint wait to give them hell for making such muppets of them selves..;)

PLovett
5th Jul 2017, 12:13
In 2007 I was tasked with taking a production team, a vet and his assistant to Bathurst Island where they were filming an episode for "Outback Vet". I thought this is going to be an easy day - quick trip then a restful day followed by a quick trip back to Darwin. Ha!

We had to walk out to the aircraft 3 times being filled from behind, in front and from the side. Then we were filmed boarding the aircraft, then of course I had to get out again to get the bloody production crew in as well. At Bathurst Island the vet and his assistant had to be filmed getting out of the aircraft. Then I had to do a circuit so the aircraft could be filmed landing. Then they all departed for the community for the day.

Bathurst Island at the time didn't have lights and last light was starting to get close and I didn't have the number for the director's assistant. So ring Darwin, they only had the production house number in Sydney. Ring them. Get the assistant's number. Ring her - get one very peed off lady who wants to do serious damage to the director as he is being totally pretentious about filming his magnum opus. Advise her that if they aren't back in 30 minutes were on the island for the night. Some serious swearing followed followed by..."we'll be there".

I thought, great - it will work out well. Oh no, when director arrives he wants to film more scenes of boarding etc. I give him a time limit at which the look on his face can only be described as one who has been told that his favourite cafe is out of coffee and has been served tea instead.

Thankfully, the 402 is tightly cowled and temps come up quickly. We got airborne with only a minute or two to spare. The episode never went to air. It wound up on Channel 7 web site only. So much for the 15 minutes of fame.

Desert Flower
5th Jul 2017, 13:30
In 2007 I was tasked with taking a production team, a vet and his assistant to Bathurst Island where they were filming an episode for "Outback Vet". I thought this is going to be an easy day - quick trip then a restful day followed by a quick trip back to Darwin. Ha!

We had to walk out to the aircraft 3 times being filled from behind, in front and from the side. Then we were filmed boarding the aircraft, then of course I had to get out again to get the bloody production crew in as well. At Bathurst Island the vet and his assistant had to be filmed getting out of the aircraft. Then I had to do a circuit so the aircraft could be filmed landing. Then they all departed for the community for the day.

Bathurst Island at the time didn't have lights and last light was starting to get close and I didn't have the number for the director's assistant. So ring Darwin, they only had the production house number in Sydney. Ring them. Get the assistant's number. Ring her - get one very peed off lady who wants to do serious damage to the director as he is being totally pretentious about filming his magnum opus. Advise her that if they aren't back in 30 minutes were on the island for the night. Some serious swearing followed followed by..."we'll be there".

I thought, great - it will work out well. Oh no, when director arrives he wants to film more scenes of boarding etc. I give him a time limit at which the look on his face can only be described as one who has been told that his favourite cafe is out of coffee and has been served tea instead.

Thankfully, the 402 is tightly cowled and temps come up quickly. We got airborne with only a minute or two to spare. The episode never went to air. It wound up on Channel 7 web site only. So much for the 15 minutes of fame.

Those film crews used to really irritate me. If only they knew how close they came to getting a very large Avgas nozzle shoved up their rear ends!
Also remember one day standing out of sight of the camera crew behind another aircraft & making the pilot of the mail run plane laugh by making obscene hand gestures which conveyed what I thought of them, which resulted in them having to shoot the scene a few more times. Revenge is sweet sometimes!

DF.

gerry111
5th Jul 2017, 14:57
We had to walk out to the aircraft 3 times being filled from behind

I guess that starring in GA free to air TV was far more challenging than I'd expected. :ooh:

Desert Flower
5th Jul 2017, 22:18
I guess that starring in GA free to air TV was far more challenging than I'd expected. :ooh:

Gerry, some of the camera crew that irritated me did come close to being "filled from behind" - with a large Avgas nozzle! ;)

DF.

outnabout
5th Jul 2017, 23:06
Gerry, I too had no idea such opportunities existed. The cynics amongst us might even suggest that being in GA is good preparation to participate in such activities. Just BYO pineapple?

The results might not be shown on free to air Telly, though.

PLovett
6th Jul 2017, 10:12

I blame age, red wine and late hour. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :hmm: