PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa sponsorship

hptaccv
17th Jan 2001, 01:37
All the other wannabees out there,

...hearing about the problems with BA sponsorship schemes I have to count myself lucky, having secured myself a spot on the Lufthansa sponsorship scheme...

I guess that german isn’t the commonly studied foreign language in England (…is there such a thing? ;-), but if anybody out there can at least communicate in German, then I’d definetely give it a try.

Lufthansa has stocked up its hiring for the sponsorship scheme considerably in the last few months, and it seems like they just can’t get enough, judging by the fact that they’re even advertising in cinemas…

P.S. BA didn’t even invite me for the initial test, must’ve been the fact that I mentioned my LH application… hmm.

Good Luck!

icemaiden
17th Jan 2001, 04:36
Glückwünsche hptaccv! ;)

wince
17th Jan 2001, 14:32
what is the level of german that you need to be able to be sponsored?

jollygreengiant
17th Jan 2001, 15:02
Anybody know of any learn German in a day courses?

lone eagle
17th Jan 2001, 18:43
Nein. :)

I just Emailed our German friends and got a swift reply informing me that they did not run a sponsorship scheme. They did however ask if I would like to pay for my ATPL with them.

Anyone know any more?

[This message has been edited by lone eagle (edited 17 January 2001).]

FireDragon
18th Jan 2001, 01:20
Konnen sie ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen?

Es kommt auf jede Kleinigkeit an !

If not, try enrolling at night class, or try the linguaphone system - I found this to be very good

FD

Speedbird59
18th Jan 2001, 12:58
Hello

I'm interested to know more about Lufthansa sponsorships. Firstly what level of competence do they require in German. Its one thing being able to order a couple of beers quite another to be taught and to understand all your ATPL theory in German.

I approached them last August and they wrote me back promptly asking me to find 160,000DM if my memory serves me right. They didn't make any mention of sponsorship. Given that we are all in the EU together these days shouldn't British nationals be given the same chance as German or any other EU nationals to apply for sponsorship. I say this assuming applicants are fully fluent in the German language.

My level of German is mediocre but it's improving (since I live with a German family) but I'd still brush it up further before applying. If LH are still sponsoring then I think I will drop them a line fairly promptly as it sounds like one of the best career options I have heard for a long time.

Speedbird59

hptaccv
18th Jan 2001, 14:13
hi!

..info is available under www.lft.de (http://www.lft.de)
Reading through them it does state that all EU citizens are legible for the school as well as for the LH sponsorship. I'd drop them a line and specifically refer to the cadetship programme..

The problem is that the test aren't done by Lufthansa, the DLR (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Luft- und Raumfahrt) does the tests in their name. The first test which determines the applicants general aptitude for maths, physics etc. shouldn't be too great a challenge for non-germanspeakers. But the second test marathon is quite centered around communication skills, argumentation and group interaction. You'll need to be able to lead an argument (...discussion!) in german.
On the other hand, a few years ago LH even employed Spanish, when they were tight on pilots... They couldn't speak a word of german...

Good Luck!

Boomer
18th Jan 2001, 17:58
Speedbird59
the LH sheme is only a part sponsorship-they help you to arrange the required loan. If they take you on after the training part of your wage gets deducted to pay back some of it (about half as far as I know). In case they don't take you on it's all yours, but of course you can look elsewhere for work. The "full" cadet scheme mentioned here only came in quite recently, and might indeed only be offered to Germans.
Be careful though. LH did a lot of commercials and even a TV programme saying how desperate they are for pilots. All they really seemed to be after was paying customers to sign up for their courses, they are not the cheapest and it is part of their business now so they are keen to make money...(in the privatization process in the early 90s the unprofitable flying school was closed down for a while).
But just how many pilots do they really need? I did contact them a while back (me: German citizen whith a UK ATP) but got the reply that they don't need any pilots at the moment or for the near future. So I guess you have to make up your own mind as to what they are after--your body or just your money?
Good luck and happy flying.

BlueUp
19th Jan 2001, 00:48
I have been trained in the early 90's by Lufthansa and I have some good friends still working for them.
As far as I know, Lufthansa still needs lots of pilots. You need to speak German as well. I think, not really to understand the ATPL theory, as it is all in German, more to be able to comunicate with people within the company, and passengers for example. I think a basic German course would be sufficent. If you lived for half a year in Germany, you would pick it up very soon.
There are three different schemes or training courses. If you pass the DLR-Test you will do another test. Based on the second one, Lufthansa decides if you are able to fly for Lufthansa itself or for its subsidiary Lufthansa Cityline (Avro, CRJ). If you get a contract with Lufthansa 'classic', you have to pay about 80.000 DM yourself. You can pay it off from your salary. If you fly with Cityline, you have to pay about (not sure) 120.000 DM. If you don't pass any of these tests, you can still do the training at their school. In this case you have to pay as much as 160.000 DM.

------------------
BlueUp

jollygreengiant
19th Jan 2001, 15:38
What would 80,000 DM be in Euros

Hicks
19th Jan 2001, 15:41
40000 Euros.

Speedy G
21st Jan 2001, 23:59
I enquired about the scheme and was told that they are starting a course in English but not for another year or so.