PDA

View Full Version : Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd. (HIAL) proposes digital control tower

Phil Kemp
28th Apr 2017, 16:06
Now here's a great concept!

Concerns over remote digital towers | Shetland News (http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/14491-concerns-over-remote-digital-towers)

rudestuff
28th Apr 2017, 16:28
If it's remote - why have a tower in the first place?

OldLurker
28th Apr 2017, 16:37
NATS seems to think it can work:
Control without bounds: The rise of the digital 'remote' tower (http://www.nats.aero/discover/control-without-bounds/)
They say that Sweden has two operational remote towers already, at Örnsköldsvik (since 2015) and Sundsvall (2016). Has anyone been there? Does it work?

Piltdown Man
28th Apr 2017, 18:37
The idea is brilliant but it does mean well paid professional jobs will be moved away from the islands. The article describing remote towers does have few bloopers though. Power and internet. Generators and batteries will guarantee power supply and satellite communications will give a back-up to the internet. So is it worth losing a few local jobs to ensure your airport remains open?

branahuie
28th Apr 2017, 18:55
If Inverness can run Stornoway... the reverse is also true!

NorthernChappie
28th Apr 2017, 20:31
Except on Sundays. :=

abgd
28th Apr 2017, 23:58
The idea is brilliant but it does mean well paid professional jobs will be moved away from the islands

But also that well paid professional jobs will be lost. I can't imagine that most of these airports keep their ATC that busy so there are two effects: jobs move to Inverness and the jobs that remain become busier and more stressful.

jimjim1
29th Apr 2017, 00:33
Digital Tower

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy118/jimjim146/digit.jpg

davidjohnson6
29th Apr 2017, 00:59
So is it worth losing a few local jobs to ensure your airport remains open?

I very much doubt any of the smaller Scottish airports would be closing if the concept of a remote tower did not work as the political row would be too large - this is more likely about cutting long term airport running costs than anything else. Seriously bad news if you work in ATC in one of the smaller HIAL airports though

El Bunto
29th Apr 2017, 07:43
Remote towers were also tested at Shannon and Cork, with the controllers in Dublin, using the Saab system mentioned above:

https://www.iaa.ie/news/2017/02/02/iaa-confirms-remote-towers-trial-a-success

Red Four
29th Apr 2017, 12:00
Well going public with such a plan will surely put paid to the likelihood of HIAL being able to recruit any external ATC's in the meantime.

inOban
29th Apr 2017, 14:10
It is probably​ very difficult anyway, as it is for all professionals in rural areas -doctors, teachers, nurses etc. People have partners who also have careers, and are reluctant to up sticks, unless they have family connections.

GASA
29th Apr 2017, 15:39
Seems like they'd get just as many applicants since they'd be able to stay in Inverness and not have to move out to the islands which as mentioned above can be a tough move for a family. Not trying to disrespect living on islands, just saying they're not for everyone.

ZOOKER
29th Apr 2017, 18:46
InOban,

Utter cobblers.

Having spent many hours wearing an 'electric-hat' at an airfield that seems to fascinate you, I, and my other half would gladly move to a HIAL location.

inOban
29th Apr 2017, 18:58
There must be something special about ATCs. From my experience - I used to be a teacher, and am now involved with the NHS - recruitment to outlying areas is very difficult. And many of those who do come have a romantic notion of life a long way from your peer group, and your family, and don't stay long.

ZOOKER
29th Apr 2017, 21:36
Yes, ATCOs are very special.

No romantic notions about anything, really......Just an acceptance of what needs to be done, and a willingness to get on and do it................."In spite of management". Not my quote, that one, but from one of my 'Watch Supervisors', back in the 1990s.

Startledgrapefruit
29th Apr 2017, 22:12
I think bean counting 101 is "don't plan for something going wrong. If it does go wrong blame the staff thats left you did not shaft because obviously they did it wrong"