PDA

View Full Version : PPL / CPL (H)

SuperX7
27th Apr 2017, 21:41
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from you ladies and gents. I'm finally looking to get the ball rolling towards getting a PPL(H) and hopefully a CPL(H). I've already been studying the theory (as its all interesting stuff anyway) so am now slowly looking at schools. Worst case scenario: I get a PPL(H) and get rid of this flying bug. Best case scenario: I carry on and fly for a living.

Would love to hear recommendations for schools and/or experiences for those in a similar positions or those that are fortunate enough to already have their licences.

Thanks!

puntosaurus
28th Apr 2017, 00:21
You my friend are the raw meat that keeps this industry alive.

Go to Transair.com and buy a 1:250,000 aviation map of the South of England. Examine all the schools in order of ease of access to your home, and make sure they know that the quid pro quo for your sizeable investment in their flagging businesses is future employment. Before you spend a nickel with any of them, go get a class one medical from one of the many providers on the CAA website. And never give anyone a penny up front for training.

Best of luck !

PS Read whirly's book on becoming a flight instructor.

PPS Follow Camp Freddie's advice

CPL(H) only £40k approx high risk, no chance of employent
CPL(H) + FI rating £60k approx, low risk much better chance of employment but rewards can be low until you become high time
CPL(H) + IR £70k high risk, potentially high returns is you get to the north sea, jobs scarce at present

PPPS This is the last time you'll be in any sort of control in this business. Enjoy it !

ec155mech
28th Apr 2017, 02:42
I second Puntosaurus on this having done it myself down to CPL+IR and not having a flying job at the moment.

Choosing a flying school is very much a personal thing. do you get on with the instructor, do they treat you like valued business or as an afterthought.

I went with FAST Helicopter ( now out of business ) and Advance Helicopters ( the phoenix out of Fast Helicopters ) all in shoreham airport, and I only have good words to speak of them. and its a beautiful area to fly in.

You say you are from London but not where in London, but Redhill has schools, Goodwood has schools, not sure if Biggin Hill still does ?

and Hes right.. this is the last time you have any influence so enjoy.

so if I were you I would jump in the car or on the train and try the trial lessons at each school, and see how you get on and what your feel for them is.

whoknows idont
28th Apr 2017, 03:52
Worst case scenario: I get a PPL(H) and get rid of this flying bug. Best case scenario: I carry on and fly for a living.

I think you got those two confused. ;)

Hughes500
28th Apr 2017, 06:00
As you are in London, I would go and see Leon at Heliservices at Wycombe. There are always professional pilots / chief pilots in and out of his office.
Not what you know but who you know, plus you will have a laugh and get some proper training from them / him

tu154
28th Apr 2017, 07:46
And North Sea jobs more or less non existent for the foreseeable.

I'd say take a look at HQ at Denham. Good club atmosphere, good mix of instructors, and about as convenient as it gets for London.

SuperX7
28th Apr 2017, 11:35
Thank you all for your helpful responses and advice.

puntosaurus: One of the things I was planning on doing was getting a Class 1 medical before investing in flight time to check there isn't anything untoward under my bonnet, so thanks for reaffirming that plan.

ec155mech: I'm in north London if that helps narrow things down. I also noticed you were based in Brighton? (I lived there for many years before moving up here!). I've always been into aviation but got my rotary bug when wife got me one of those helicopter experience packages from Shoreham airport and I had an opportunity to fly a little.

Hughes500: Thanks, I will look them up. I don't suppose you fly an MD500...? :sad:

I forgot to mention in my OP that I'm 36 :ouch: and hoping this isn't too late to start my journey! (I suppose thats a different conversation / debate altogether). If any of you have started late in your lives, please feel free to comment on how you managed to juggle it all!

How likely can one start building hours by going down the route of being an instructor?

Obviously one would need hours to get a job, but kinda need the job to get the hours - how do you guys plan this from the perspective that operators use different aircraft (and therefore if you log many hours in aircraft X, but a job opportunity comes up where they use aircraft Y, your hours don't exactly "qualify") etc? Hope I'm making sense here...

Thanks again!

Bravo73
28th Apr 2017, 13:12
Welcome.

If you haven't found it already, here is a good place to start your research:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/122944-faq-training-employment-prospects-please-read-before-posting.html

I know that you probably don't want to hear it at this stage but here's the truth of the matter: at the age of 36, you are highly unlikely to ever earn enough from flying to support a family in the South East of England. It's not impossible but the odds are heavily, heavily stacked against you. If you've got £100k burning a hole in your pocket and you can afford to lose it, go ahead. But would I be willing to risk £100k if I was in your position? A few years ago, yes maybe, but right now? Definitely not. Get yourself a PPL(H), buy a share in an aircraft and enjoy the flying.

puntosaurus
28th Apr 2017, 13:30
I forgot to mention in my OP that I'm 36 and hoping this isn't too late to start my journey! (I suppose thats a different conversation / debate altogether). If any of you have started late in your lives, please feel free to comment on how you managed to juggle it all!

I started at 45 and have had a great time, but definitely never made enough money to keep a family in the Southeast of the UK. The extra 10 years will put you in a better situation, but don't pull the ripcord until you can afford it.

Hughes500
28th Apr 2017, 21:26
Well there are no flies on you ! Yup do fly a 500 but other types as well. Please feel free to PM me if you want a chat about where and what you are doing !

heliboy999
28th Apr 2017, 21:46
If you are North London you could have a look at Elstree and VVB aviation. They have the facility to take you from PPL to CPL IR. There is not really any schools East of there as far as I know.

Whirlybird
29th Apr 2017, 17:54
I started in my 40s, intending to just get a PPL(H). Got the bug...and a CPL(H) and Instructor's Rating. Earned enough instructing to keep me; don't have a family so don't know about that, and I don't live in the South of England either, which helps. Things change a lot in the rotary world, so keep your options open.... Good luck!

SuperX7
1st May 2017, 16:58
Bravo73: thanks for link, been reading countless pages... lots of great info but also conflicting opinions it seems!

alphanumeric: Not planning on doing offshore/NS stuff, so not put-off (yet) by the huge investment required for the further training.

I think pursuing a PPL for now is the only move I have; and then re-access in the future to see whether a CPL + more is something that I want / can realistically achieve.

Thanks tu154, Hughes500, heliboy999, Whirlybird for your responses. :ok: