PDA

View Full Version : Aviation / Pilot Blogs and websites

tinytony
27th Apr 2017, 15:51
Hi everyone, my name is Tony I'm 17 and wanting to train to become a pilot after school. I've recently been to a CAE open day in Oxford and attended last week's Pilot Career live in London and have had plenty of information to what my options are.

I'm looking for impartial advice now, as the open day I've been to really felt like a selling pitch. Can anyone recommend some aviation training related websites and blogs? I keep on coming back to 'ToBeAPilot' and 'Flight Deck Friend" but wondered if there are any other ones out there that I may have missed. I'm particularly interested in sites that has current news / articles on becoming an airline pilot.

Thanks!

rudestuff
27th Apr 2017, 19:44
You've come to the right place. Everything you need to know is on here (somewhere).
Becoming a pilot is actually quite straight forward. You just need money. Getting a Job is the hard part. Your first step should always be to get a class 1 medical. Then do a PPL somewhere, I'd recommend the US as it's quicker and cheaper and more fun. I assume your parents are paying?

Drussjnr
27th Apr 2017, 20:05
Great events to visit. Don't feel you need to rush into becoming a pilot. Many airlines like life experience because they will want you one day to become a captain for them. It's all about showing you can manage and be in charge under pressure, those experiences can set you apart. Just like industry work experience. You will also need a backup career to have, so make sure you do well on your A Levels. Because you could easily lose your Class 1 medical, be employed by a company in the middle east with no employment laws like us here in the UK and get fired for loss medical due to a serious accident. Up a creek without a paddle. Take your time with the school decision. Decide Modular or integrated look in person at all the flight schools.

I recommend having a look at the BALPA NextGen. The Website/Booklet has lots of information and impartial advice.

One more thing, try some gliding out if you haven't already. Pure Flying, Cheap too. You'll know then and there if it's not for you. Saving lots of money :)

tinytony
12th May 2017, 09:03
You've come to the right place. Everything you need to know is on here (somewhere).
Becoming a pilot is actually quite straight forward. You just need money. Getting a Job is the hard part. Your first step should always be to get a class 1 medical. Then do a PPL somewhere, I'd recommend the US as it's quicker and cheaper and more fun. I assume your parents are paying?

This is what I gathered from my research. Yes my parents are helping me but we might need to look into possibly getting a loan from the bank. I gather this is a very important decision and need to be 200% committed and sure this is the path I want to take. I'll check the US option; didn't even cross my mind! Did you do this?

I recommend having a look at the BALPA NextGen. The Website/Booklet has lots of information and impartial advice.

One more thing, try some gliding out if you haven't already. Pure Flying, Cheap too. You'll know then and there if it's not for you. Saving lots of money :)

Hey! Thank for pointing the Balpa site out! It's a goldmine of info! I think that's exactly what I needed. I've done gliding yes, at Surry Hills gliding shcool. I love it!