PDA

View Full Version : Airport drop off fees

bingofuel
27th Apr 2017, 06:43
I have just read the following on the BBC website regarding Glasgow airport joining the list of UK airport operators profiteering with their unique status.

Drivers dropping passengers off at the airport will now have to pay £2 for a stay of up to 10 minutes.
A new pick-up and drop-off point opposite the main terminal building has been opened with the old area at Caledonian Way West closing.
The airport said the new facility was the final stage of a wider scheme of works to reduce congestion around the airport's road network.
A pick-up fee has been in place at the airport since 2010.
Blue badge holders will be exempt from the new drop-off charges, which came into force at 03:00 on Thursday.
Drivers who use the drop-off area for longer than 10 minutes will have to pay more, with a £30 charge for a 60-minute wait.
The airport said the high charges were to discourage drivers from using the area for extended periods.
A free pick-up and drop-off area located in the long stay car park, with a shuttle bus to and from the main terminal, will still be available.

Do others agree with me that this is a blatant rip off by Glasgow airport charging drivers to come to the airport to drop off or collect the airport customers? I wonder how the airport would cope if all passengers decided to use the 'free drop off point' and then used the car park shuttle bus to get to the terminal. I suspect it would cause chaos.

Is this a UK thing or is it widespread througout the world? Maybe airports should be operated by the State and then private Companies could build and operate the terminals and see which of them can attract the airlines and customers by providing the best service to the consumer?

ATNotts
27th Apr 2017, 07:01
I have just read the following on the BBC website regarding Glasgow airport joining the list of UK airport operators profiteering with their unique status.

Do others agree with me that this is a blatant rip off by Glasgow airport charging drivers to come to the airport to drop off or collect the airport customers? I wonder how the airport would cope if all passengers decided to use the 'free drop off point' and then used the car park shuttle bus to get to the terminal. I suspect it would cause chaos.

Is this a UK thing or is it widespread througout the world? Maybe airports should be operated by the State and then private Companies could build and operate the terminals and see which of them can attract the airlines and customers by providing the best service to the consumer?
Lucky Glasgow airport users! At EMA it's also £2.00 for 10 minutes, then some extortionate rate per minute over that, with no free alternative.

Is it a UK thing? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it were, we do, after all live in "rip off Britain"!

Perhaps this thread ought to move to SLF?

NRU74
27th Apr 2017, 08:10
It is a blatant rip off but...
There is free parking both at Glasgow and at EMA for drop offs and pick ups.
There was a woman moaning in the Business Section of the Sunday Times last weekend saying how badly she'd been ripped off at Luton when she'd gone to pick up her son.Luton offers two hours free in the long stay and I think c30 mins in the Mid Term. It's abit inconvenient and you have to use the Shuttle bus, but I'm afraid that's the way things are. The trick really to minimise cost on pick ups is to drive around and find where the taxi drivers are parked waiting for their clients to phone them and park there and await the call.
Incidentally I'm just an ordinary punter.

ATNotts
27th Apr 2017, 08:21
Hadn't realised there was any free parking at EMA. Above posting prompted me to look, and yes 1 hour free in Long Stay 4, a 5 minute bus ride from the terminal - subject to space being available. Still a way away from the terminal and very inconvenient.

But I suppose anything is better than nothing.

El Bunto
27th Apr 2017, 08:25
to reduce congestion around the airport's road network.

... by shunting the congestion onto the neighbouring public roads.

Approaching either Belfast airport one passes a queue of waiting-but-not-really-parked vehicles loitering along the roadside, outside Ikea being a favourite for the City airport. But the airports are onto a double-winner, reduced congestion on their premises AND money in the pot! Lovely.

paully
27th Apr 2017, 08:44
The Downside of airports filling with loco carriers reluctant to pay increased landing charges, so the airports look to revenue raising in ways like this..an irritant yes but in the grand scheme of things not really a deal breaker..

whitelighter
27th Apr 2017, 08:46
People won't pay much to fly, so airline won't pay to operate at the airport. If you want £1bn airport infrastructure you're going to have to pay somewhere.

ATNotts
27th Apr 2017, 08:52
The Downside of airports filling with loco carriers reluctant to pay increased landing charges, so the airports look to revenue raising in ways like this..an irritant yes but in the grand scheme of things not really a deal breaker..
That is very true, and the problem is more acute at airports such as EMA and LTN where passenger traffic is dominated by the likes of Ryanair, Easyjet and Wizz.

Airports such as MAN, GLA and BHX which have a better mix ought not to have quite the same imperative, but will jump on the money making cash cow that is pick up and drop off anyway.

bingofuel
27th Apr 2017, 09:07
I think my main issue with the fee is that unlike say, a shopping centre, you cannot take your custom elsewhere, as the airport is the sole provider of air travel facilities in an area, so they have a monopoly and no competition. It is legalised extortion, but the world is run by the greedy looking for short term gain.
What happened to a fair price for a good service?

ATNotts
27th Apr 2017, 09:12
That isn't strictly true. There are other ways of getting to an airport. Bus or coach, most major airports have decent bus services, often using vehicles modified to take passenger's baggage. Rail (not Glasgow); many airports, including LGW, MAN and BHX have excellent rail connections, especially BHX.

There are ways around the drop off charges at most airports. Top tip for BHX is to drop off at International Station, and your passengers can take the free overhead rail shuttle to the terminal. Dead easy! And there is a free short stay drop off car park at the station too.

LTNman
27th Apr 2017, 09:17
Do others agree with me that this is a blatant rip off

No it is not a rip off, it is just moving a hidden revenue stream by charging airlines less in passenger fees, who then charge less for the airline ticket.

What you are actually complaining about is that the fee is not hidden and is in your face. If the fee was just added to the ticket price everyone would be happy but the fee would still have been paid.

Also as already pointed out, drivers will sit in a drop off zone indefinitely while waiting to pick up passengers if they can. Luton used to have a real problem where all the kerbsides were occupied by long stayers. That problem no longer happens.

sdh2903
27th Apr 2017, 09:38
Also as already pointed out, drivers will sit in a drop off zone indefinitely while waiting to pick up passengers if they can. Luton used to have a real problem where all the kerbsides were occupied by long stayers. That problem no longer happens.

This is exactly the point. The people using Glasgow have brought this on themselves. People sitting at the drop off area waiting for people for a silly amount of time. Double,triple and quadruple parking whilst dropping off blocking both lanes. No where near as bad as at Luton but the traffic is untenable at peak times.

If people were sensible and waited off airport until their pickups were actually outside then the problem wouldn't exist. I heard from someone at the airport involved in the traffic project, that the charged area was a last resort and they had tried everything else to manage the traffic flow.

A350Saltire
27th Apr 2017, 10:52
GLA has an ok bus service and no other way of getting to / from the airport other than by car or taxi so whilst they are charging to drop off, they haven't really improved the alternative transport options. They really need a rail connection and improved bus services.

Hotel Tango
27th Apr 2017, 11:01
No it is not a rip off

Yes, it is a rip off! Passengers should be allowed to be dropped off or collected close to the terminal area free of charge. I understand and agree that charges should apply over a certain period of time in order to avoid drivers extending their waiting time. However, a quick drop off or pick up should NOT be subject to any charge. BHX for example charge a pound for 10 minutes. Go over that by a minute and you need a mortgage! That's not a service, that's a simple cash cow, which conveniently fell into their lap after the Glasgow incident years ago. It's nothing less than pure GREED to top up the coffers and pay for the annual bonuses! Indeed, there are alternatives at BHX, and I use them. But there's a principle in this. Major European airports continue to allow drop off and pick up right outside the terminal - at no cost. Rant over, maybe! :)

LTNman
27th Apr 2017, 11:20
BHX for example charge a pound for 10 minutes. Go over that by a minute and you need a mortgage! That's not a service, that's a simple cash cow

Have you not read the above posts. A charge by the minute is to stop drivers blocking the drop off area with extended stays. The clue is in the name, DROP OFF, PICK UP nowhere does it say car park.

I would be interested in your proposal to keep the traffic flowing?

Hotel Tango
27th Apr 2017, 11:29
@ LTNman

Have you read my post?

Allow vehicles into the drop off area free of charge and charge if their stay extends say beyond 15 minutes. The area at BHX is large enough and the traffic will flow even better than it does now! Tell me, how do major airports such as Schiphol, Dusseldorf, Brussels continue to allow terminal drop off without any congestion? I know the answer but I'll let you work it out. If you're defending the need to charge for a simple drop off then you must be working in airport management.

Edit: Sorry, I should say UK airport management!

ATNotts
27th Apr 2017, 11:38
@ LTNman

Have you read my post?

Allow vehicles into the drop off area free of charge and charge if their stay extends say beyond 15 minutes. The area at BHX is large enough and the traffic will flow even better than it does now! Tell me, how do major airports such as Schiphol, Dusseldorf, Brussels continue to allow terminal drop off without any congestion? I know the answer but I'll let you work it out. If you're defending the need to charge for a simple drop off then you must be working in airport management.

Edit: Sorry, I should say UK airport management!
The problem that exists in UK is twofold.

First, privatised airports that are there to make profits for shareholders, be they Canadian pension funds or Spanish quasi-private airport operators. Most airports in Europe still tend to be state or local government operated or controlled.

Second, the UK mantra "security is paramount". Simply because a pair of incompetent terrorists tried to drive through the terminal doors as Glasgow, HMG government over reacted, as usual, and gave the airport operators the golden opportunity that you describe above.

BRUpax
27th Apr 2017, 11:43
As a user of Birmingham I have to say I challenge the idea that their system keeps traffic flowing. Because of the one pound charge all drivers have to exit their vehicle and queue at the pay machines. During peak periods this can lead to drivers overrunning their time and having to pay substantially more. With a ticketed but free 10 minute period the traffic would flow much more efficiently. If my memory serves me right I do believe that was how it started at Brum - until they came to the conclusion that they were missing out on a fat cash cow potential! I'm voting rip-off :)

VC10man
27th Apr 2017, 16:58
I feel the airports are missing a trick, surely they should charge diesel cars £12 more for a drop off.

I hate having to get out and queue at a machine at BHX and I hate having to pay £2 to stop for less than a minute to drop off at EMA. I used to drop people off at the roundabout at departures, but the EMA Gestapo have stopped this.

ZOOKER
27th Apr 2017, 17:27
That's because EMA is run by the same bandits who run Manchester.

LAX_LHR
27th Apr 2017, 17:31
Not a lot of people know there is actually a completely free and legitimate pick up and drop off area right between T1 and T3.

It's a few steps to the Jet2 check in hall, then a few more steps into the lifts for the main T1 check in, and about 2 minutes to T3, so, it's a handy point too.

It doesn't state it has a time limit, but one would expect that after 10 minutes or so you will be moved on. Wardens patrol the area but as said, it's a valid drop off and pick up zone so they don't move anyone on generally.

racedo
27th Apr 2017, 18:30
ANPR amazingly exists everywhere for checking cars.

Car allowed in, as leaving registration checked and after 10 mins it charges £2, leave at 9 minutes and no return for 2 hrs otherwise its £2 per 15 mins.

SWBKCB
27th Apr 2017, 18:32
Good grief - get a grip.

This is the price you pay for the expectation that you can fly to Timbuktu for £9.99 - airports aren't charities and how do you expect them to make money?

The other issue that has been highlighted is those who think they have the right to park for free because they are "just dropping off" - give some people an inch and they'll take a mile.

edi_local
27th Apr 2017, 18:34
I am in two minds about it all. Having used EDI for years the charges there are now just second nature. That said, it was frustrating when they were introduced, but they are always changing the drop off procedure at EDI. Just recently they have added new parking bays just outside the terminal which say "Bag drop only". Never seen a single vehicle in there so Christ only knows what that's about. Possibly a "premium drop off area? Time will tell.

Having a 5 minutes free period, then charging for over that time with a no return within 2 hours rule attached would likely achieve the same level of control over the cars in the area and still ensure a smooth flow. People have a fair time to meet and greet or see someone off before then having to move on. If they need extra time, they pay for it.

For anyone that knows EDI, all the charges there do is cause people to loiter around the staff car parks by Almond House, clogging up the road as they either wait there for passengers and avoid the charge area altogether or they wait there until they are ready to actually collect someone. Thankfully the EDI Ops people regularly chase them on, but it's a pain sometimes when they are slow off the mark and people block the road and entrances to staff car parks. How they could change that without shoving the congestion further away I don't know though.

Why we can't adopt the "cell phone parking lot" idea like what's found a numerous American airports I don't know. It'd save a lot of hassle and congestion for people.

Hotel Tango
27th Apr 2017, 18:48
At Orlando airport, Florida, they permit drop off and pick up at the terminal but with a strict no staying policy. Where pick-up is concerned, they achieve an efficient flow with an off-airport section of one of the Long Stay car parks (5 minutes drive away), appropriately named the Cell Phone Lot, which allows 2 hours free parking. As soon as the passenger is kerb side with their bags, they call for pick-up. Easy and CUSTOMER FRIENDLY! Going back to Birmingham, the roads all around the airport are littered with waiting cars. The fact remains that the entire process is totally disorganised (oh yes it is) and not planned with any other intention than making a quick buck.

LiamNCL
27th Apr 2017, 19:06
if you read the comments on NCL facebook page all you see is complaints about the £2 charge as if its the only airport in the world doing it.

LAX_LHR
27th Apr 2017, 19:16
It makes me laugh that people see £2 odd for pick up/drop off but think nothing of paying nearly £20 for a crappy full English in the terminal......

Hotel Tango
27th Apr 2017, 22:02
It makes me laugh that people see £2 odd for pick up/drop off but think nothing of paying nearly £20 for a crappy full English in the terminal.....

That's their choice.

inOban
27th Apr 2017, 22:20
But surely it's their choice how they get to or from the airport? Every one has public transport.

LTNman
27th Apr 2017, 22:25
It's also their choice whether to fly or not to fly from an airport that makes a charge, whether to use public transport or use the free drop off facilities many airports have away from the actual terminal.

Hotel Tango
27th Apr 2017, 23:08
I struggle to comprehend your analogies. I think that the choice and use of public transport is subject to many more constraints than that of eating or not eating a full English breakfast. I consider a taxi as public transport, which is what I use. I don't know about other airports but at BHX taxis are also forced to use the pay-for drop off. As for going by bus you must be kidding! It would take me half a day! Are you also suggesting that a couple with say two kids and 4 suitcases use a public bus instead of being dropped off by a friend or a taxi? The thing is, that I'm not forced to eat or drink at airport prices. Drop off charges only exist at airports. They are a rip-off. End of.

inOban
28th Apr 2017, 00:12
Don't taxis pay an annual fee to use the airport?

There are two extremes of charging strategies. You charge a single fee covering all use of the airport, which could include parking - it could be itemised on your ticket as 'airport charge'. Just as the legacy airlines included meals and hold baggage in their ticket.
This is simpler administratively, but you are paying for services which you may not need.

Or you itemise everything, and pay only for the services you require. So if it's just you and your cabin bag, and you arrive by bus, you will not be paying for the facilities needed by a family travelling with hold baggage etc. Those who need the extra facilities will find this itemised system more expensive.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

LTNman
28th Apr 2017, 04:06
I consider a taxi as public transport, which is what I use. Are you also suggesting that a couple with say two kids and 4 suitcases use a public bus instead of being dropped off by a friend or a taxi? The thing is, that I'm not forced to eat or drink at airport prices. Drop off charges only exist at airports. They are a rip-off. End of.

Your example of a couple with two kids would be paying the equivalent of 25p each to use the 10 minute drop off at Birmingham. They would no doubt pay more than that if the drop off became free and the lost revenue stream was added back to the price of the airline ticket.

What your objection seems to be is that this is an optional charge that is in your face while you would not object if it became a compulsory charge hidden in the price of the airline ticket.

nclops
28th Apr 2017, 07:28
if you read the comments on NCL facebook page all you see is complaints about the £2 charge as if its the only airport in the world doing it.
The pick up / drop off charge at NCL is only £1 for the first 10 mins. However there is also a free drop off / pick up point in the medium stay car park which is only a 2 minute walk from the terminal.

bingofuel
28th Apr 2017, 07:42
I think you will find the airport operators charge the bus companies to pick up and drop off within the airport which is why fares are significantly higher to and from airports.

Hardly a good way to promote public transport but all helps increase the income per passenger for the airport coffers.

LTNman
28th Apr 2017, 07:49
For a real rip off the award must go the the Luton Airport shuttle bus to the station. The journey is a mile maximum and the fare is a whopping £2.10 or £3.40 return.

It used to be free and run my the airport until bendy busses were brought in years ago so the fare was to cover the investment of 4 bendy buses which are operated by the rail company. 2 have since disappeared to be replaced by standard single deckers but the charge is still made.

CCGE29
28th Apr 2017, 08:04
Drop off is free at every terminal at MAN. Pick up in arrivals is charged at T1/2 however as LAX says there is a pick up/drop off between T1 & 3 at check-in B however it always seems under used. The problem comes in T1 where cars collecting arriving pax go to departures as it is free and cause congestion problems there.

T3 at MAN does not have separate pick up/drop off areas and therefore becomes very congested at busy times - many people seem to think 'drop off' means park up for 15 minutes.

On another note, how many major UK airports are still publicly owned?

MAN (majority)
CWL
PIK

Any others?

Andy_S
28th Apr 2017, 08:38
Any others?

Luton.

I understand the local council owns Southend Airport but Stobart Group have it on a long term lease.

Hotel Tango
28th Apr 2017, 09:15
Perhaps we are veering away from the original question by the OP:

Do others agree with me that this is a blatant rip off by Glasgow airport charging drivers to come to the airport to drop off or collect the airport customers?

For me this is not a question of cost but that of principle.

LTNman to me:

What your objection seems to be is that this is an optional charge that is in your face while you would not object if it became a compulsory charge hidden in the price of the airline ticket.

Let me be clear that in the scheme of things £1 is not going to make a large hole in my pocket. For me it's not about the cost, but the principle. Airports quite rightly never charged for drop-off/pick-up until the Glasgow incident. Even though by using alternative options I have never paid it, I quite simply find the principle of this particular charge abhorrent. Therefore, my answer to the OP is "yes" it's a rip off.

LTNman
28th Apr 2017, 09:30
So which airport started the ball rolling with charges? I have a suspicion it was actually Luton
:(
With regards to bigger airports not charging I would imagine that has more to do with the difficulties of trying to collect the money from vast amounts of vehicles in a limited space without bring the road access to a standstill.

Andy_S
28th Apr 2017, 09:39
I'm actually more outraged at charges for luggage trollies and sealable see-through bags for carrying medicines through security.

ZOOKER
28th Apr 2017, 09:58
Airports seem to have become a microcosm of 'Rip-Off Britain'.

I live 3 miles from my local airport. To access it by public transport requires a 2 mile walk to the nearest bus-route. Alternatively, a 1 mile walk to the station, followed by a 22 mile train ride, which involves changing trains in the city centre.

Recently went on a day's business trip to Paris. £43 for a day's parking at the airport.

ATNotts
28th Apr 2017, 10:20
I'm actually more outraged at charges for luggage trollies and sealable see-through bags for carrying medicines through security.
Not to mention the manufactured long queues at security, and a paid for "express lane" to whisk the impatient past the waiting masses.

But as has been said, since the no-frills, lo-co, call them what you will, carriers have created an environment where they (the carriers) believe that they shouldn't pay for the services they "buy" from the airports, the passenger has to be the target for picking up the shortfall in revenue. And most of these charges are discretionary. Suitcases have handles, and often wheels so no need for trolleys; you can eat before you leave rather than buy food in restaurants, buy before you fly, rather than use the shopping malls, take public transport to the airport, and make sure you've bought your plastic bags for liquids from the supermarket before packing.

The stupid and the spendthrifts are the ones who really get hit by these charges.

On the rare occasions when I fly these days I rarely spend more than the bare minimum inside the airport company's facilities (no for that matter Eurotunnel's).

brian_dromey
28th Apr 2017, 10:30
I understand why the charge irritates - its does seem like a blatant rip-off, because the facilities provided in exchange for entry/exit from the drop-off are generally poor. Apart from MAN T1 I can't think of any that are particularly close to the check-in halls, are protected from the elements or have sheltered walkways to the terminal.

All airlines have pushed their costs down, not just the LCC's. Simultaneously airlines have massively increased volumes through the terminals (more flights, denser cabins, larger aircraft), security restrictions have meant people spending longer in the terminals before boarding, which requires investment in facilities.

Somehow airports have to balance the books, ultimately the passenger/user pays, either in one big lump (the old days) or piecemeal ("unbundling"). Pick your poison!

PAXboy
28th Apr 2017, 12:11
brian_dromey is correct. Over the last 25 years the British (and most other nations) have favoured unbundling of costs. This is known in the trade as Two Tier Pricing and was introduced, I understand, by the Gilette razor blade company when they made the basic razor cheap and the blades expensive!

Ryan Air has perfected this system and it works. I agree that it can be irritating to have multiple small payments when you are in a hurry but it is not going to change. The younger generations have grown up with this FR style of pricing and do not think it so unusual. It is older generations who experience the transition, that are irritated by it. But it will not change in the next 25 years.

LTNman
28th Apr 2017, 12:53
Just like printer manufacturers where the ink can cost more than the printer.

El Bunto
28th Apr 2017, 12:57
Just like printer manufacturers where the ink can cost more than the printer.

I think everyone expects to pay for the ink. What they wouldn't expect would be a fee payable when inserting the new ink cartridges.

After all, though you've already paid for the printer ( per-passenger departure charge ) you could have bought ink ( flight ticket ) from a third-party ( airline ) and the poor printer manufacturer ( airport ) has to make money somehow...

inOban
28th Apr 2017, 15:08
Airports seem to have become a microcosm of 'Rip-Off Britain'.

I live 3 miles from my local airport. To access it by public transport requires a 2 mile walk to the nearest bus-route. Alternatively, a 1 mile walk to the station, followed by a 22 mile train ride, which involves changing trains in the city centre.

Recently went on a day's business trip to Paris. £43 for a day's parking at the airport.

Well if it's three miles, that's a brisk 45 min walk or 15-20 minutes on a bike. Probably quicker than the car, by the time you've parked it.

Do airports have bike storage?

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2017, 15:22
Do airports have bike storage?

LHR, LGW and MAN certainly do.

BHX say, ominously, on their website that they have "free short term cycle parking" but they don't define how long you get before they hold your bike to ransom.

LAX_LHR
28th Apr 2017, 15:42
MAN also gives free motorcycle parking. I'm not sure where the T2 parking is, but the T1 parking is under the access ramp to T1 and doesn't seem to have a time limit.

Mr Angry from Purley
28th Apr 2017, 16:28
Did BHX the other week - once in the car park it was fine. The road in - fecking shambles
EMA - Has always been a shambles particularly at peak times.....

Hotel Tango
28th Apr 2017, 18:14
It is older generations who experience the transition, that are irritated by it. But it will not change in the next 25 years.

Very true, but at my age I have earned the right to be a grumpy old git, so I won't stop ranting about it :E ;)

ZOOKER
28th Apr 2017, 19:23
In Oban,
Close, but no cigar.

I live 3nm from the ARP. It's about 5 Statute Miles by the local road system. I have walked it several times, (1 Hr 15), and used to cycle there often, in about 25 minutes.

Neither of these methods work well when I and my other-half are carrying 2 suitcases and hand-luggage, and have to at the airport at 0545 Local.

The public transport system is good from certain directions, from others, it's non existent.

inOban
28th Apr 2017, 19:34
Ah. You omitted the fact that three miles was 'crow flies'. You were talking about a business day trip,so hadn't counted on partner,two suitcases etc.

ZOOKER
28th Apr 2017, 19:56
Aye, that was a different thing, driving to the airport from a different town.

A couple of years ago, I was conveyed the airport from home, by some some licenced bandit in a taxi.

In spite of the vehicle being fitted with an up to date sat-nav, I still had to give the driver directions.

racedo
28th Apr 2017, 20:56
Next time airport puts in a planning application object on grounds of charging for parking. Enough people doing it and it starts to cost them as every objection must be addressed.

lurkio
29th Apr 2017, 07:33
Liverpool charge £3 for 20 mins in express pick up/drop off but on the flip side you can wait 40 mins for free if you don't mind a 5 minute walk. Try stopping anywhere within range of the parking (road safety) van and it is £100 a few days later. All signposted so should not be a surprise but the look on people's faces when you warn them about it is something else.

davidjpowell
29th Apr 2017, 20:07
Liverpool charge £3 for 20 mins in express pick up/drop off but on the flip side you can wait 40 mins for free if you don't mind a 5 minute walk. Try stopping anywhere within range of the parking (road safety) van and it is £100 a few days later. All signposted so should not be a surprise but the look on people's faces when you warn them about it is something else.

Peel and their camera van.... We have the same at Doncaster. Stop on the estate roads (even if you get a flat tyre), and that will be a £100 sir....

I personally think these scheme's are ridiculous, and that as neighbours, airports should be brought into touch by the Local Authority. Just off the lay bye that is commonly used for people waiting for the phone call are some woods. I say woods - actually they are more like Pubic Toilets nowadays.

I do have a theory that if they had a costa coffee, and a greggs and free parking for an hour or two, they would make more money....

racedo
29th Apr 2017, 21:14
Peel and their camera van.... We have the same at Doncaster. Stop on the estate roads (even if you get a flat tyre), and that will be a £100 sir....

I personally think these scheme's are ridiculous, and that as neighbours, airports should be brought into touch by the Local Authority. Just off the lay bye that is commonly used for people waiting for the phone call are some woods. I say woods - actually they are more like Pubic Toilets nowadays.

I do have a theory that if they had a costa coffee, and a greggs and free parking for an hour or two, they would make more money....

After dropping of some family to Stansted I went to Golden Arches beside Mid stay car park, bringing the laptop and knowing M11 traffic was garbage I asked to sign in, this ensures I have consent of McD's manager to overstay on the site beyond allocated time. 3 months later got the ticket through and claims I had transgressed.

Single phone call to McD's on sote got their agreement that yup had signed in, yup was overstaying with their consent and nope parking company had not requested details of people who had signed in that week.

The abusive parking company got called again and told who manager was in McD's, time I called and time signed in and out and requesting a call and letter from senior manager confirming supposed charge was withdrawn.

However I recognise that many people seem to assume that they can park for 60 minutes where ever it suits them to pick someone up................. ask anybody living close to an airport and they tell you the crap they get from people like this parked in their streets day after day.