PDA

View Full Version : Travel through Istanbul, Turkey

Cymmon
26th Apr 2017, 16:56
As a regular traveller to the Philippines I've seen good prices using Turkish airlines from Manchester to Manila.

I know Turkish have now got a reasonable reputation, but anyone with insider knowledge or regular travellers through the country, can they give any info regarding the current Political situation and what is happening.

I understand, and know it's early yet, but don't want to mess up my visit if anything "kicks off" before I travel in August. I also realise that the tourism industry is important to Turkey, so this may keep the transfer situation stable.

I would rather travel other ways if there is any possibility of instability. I have a baby due so no way will I miss the journey.

Thank you in anticipation.

750XL
26th Apr 2017, 17:25
I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're just in transit.

Perhaps one thing to keep in mind though, is the electronics ban from IST-MAN

Cymmon
26th Apr 2017, 19:12
Ah yes, will be taking my trusty iPad.... Not too happy to have that in hold.

Jarvy
27th Apr 2017, 08:25
Transited through Istanbul in December, could have been any international airport. Only problem we had was in the business lounge when we asked about a shower, at first they said there was a 3 hour wait. I stamped my feet and threw my dummy around and got it down to a 20 minute wait!

easyflyer83
27th Apr 2017, 09:02
I've transited IST several times. Last time was last year when I transited exactly a week (to the hour) after the ISIS attack and on the way home, exactly 24 hours before the attempted military coup. I still wouldn't hesitate doing so again.

Cymmon
27th Apr 2017, 17:36
Thank you Jarvy I'll only complain if the wait for the bar is 20 minutes, easyflyer83, thanks. I'll just have to keep an eye in the situation. I'm the usual pessimist that expects any problems to be in the main population centres. I know it's not always true, but it's important I get there. Price isn't a problem, just fancied a different route and comfort looks good.

Jarvy
29th Apr 2017, 08:21
In the business lounge its nearly all self service so no wait for a drink.

PAXboy
29th Apr 2017, 11:08
I've only used Turkish for one round trip with IST for transit. I can say that the business class onboard service was wonderful. However, when something went wrong at IST - no one wanted to help. When standing in yet another queue the woman in front of me was clearly having the same problem - everyone wanted to shove the problem to someone else.