PDA

View Full Version : GEX 770 OC into Viewsonic - nothing but cursor.

Loose rivets
26th Apr 2017, 15:07
Viewsonic VX 2880 ML 28" 4K

Graphics card is by PALIT and has DER R on spec somewhere.

The graphics card, via HDMI, reports if one of its dedicated power lines is pulled. So some life in there. However, the computer does not seem to go through POST checks. So the stuff on the screen just generated by the card, I suppose.

Screen shows blinking cursor top left and two letters bottom right. RC I think.

VGA on computer is disabled when card slotted in so no help for booting/driver load. There seems to be no way to install drivers etc., and there's the danger of locking oneself out blind to reset things again.

Any ideas for a next step of diags?

G0ULI
27th Apr 2017, 21:36
If the computer is going through POST checks okay without this card installed, but fails POST checks with the card installed, my first inclination is to suspect that the power supply is lacking sufficient oomph to properly power the graphics card.

Second, check that the graphics card is properly installed, aligned and seated in its' socket.

Third, check you have the correct and most recent drivers installed and BIOS settings are correct for the card. You may have to use a VGA style monitor to download and install the drivers before installing the new graphics card, or switch graphic cards from the BIOS from motherboard to external card. The fact that you refer to VGA on the computer leads me to suspect it is an older model.

If the card is not brand new, it may have a fault. If it is brand new, the power demands may be more than an older computer can supply. It could be faulty too, but fairly unusual in modern pieces of kit.

If the monitor has various user adjustable settings with an on screen display, check the correct input and display settings are set up. The monitor itself could be sending a signal back to the computer indicating that it is not prepared to play ball.

Loose rivets
28th Apr 2017, 10:08
Pal doing the work as very recent eye and carpal ops makes me less than technical.

Working backwards. Computer ceases to be a computer as soon as the card is slotted in. No post checks as far as we can see. Though the mega-card is able to display those 3 items in mono.

It does not dual output with the on-board VGA - well, PC is basically dead anyway.

700 watt PSU with new extra leads to card.

Card is an ebay used item, but vendor experienced and 5*. However, I didn't want to risk this PC trying it out and my Lenovo quad i5 is so picky and I don't want to risk that as must sell it in mint condition.

The target MB is really too small for card. One heck of a job to keep it and its 3 fans clear of stuff.

PC is running okay now with another card - which doesn't come close to the native 4k of the intended monitor. :suspect:

It was being tested on HDMI with monitor selection working okay. (well, showing the selection) The VGA trial was just to see if we could see any means of loading the card's software. That VGA plug was on the MB and was disabled the moment the 'new' card was slotted in - so, I took that to mean it auto switched the on-board graphics off, though I agree it would be worth another poke about in the BIOS. As mentioned, I don't want to lock myself out by being blind on all outputs. Not sure about BIOS reset on this board.

My guess is one would need the new card running in basic mode so that the drivers could see it as they were loaded.

As I see it now, the only safe option is to fish out another MB just to test the new card. Trouble is, this is just playing and I'm not cracking on with a plethora of other tasks. I thought retirement was going to be all play but far from it.

G0ULI
28th Apr 2017, 12:33
Looks like the video card might just not be compatible with that motherboard. A 700W power supply should be good enough! A Google search to see if anyone else is running your motherboard/video card combination is probably the best avenue to explore.

As far as retirement is concerned, you spend most of your time wondering how you ever had the time to actually go to work!