PDA

View Full Version : Stutter

CaptainCriticalAngle
25th Apr 2017, 19:40
Dear fellow aviators,

A close friend of mine has caught the aviation bug and wants to be a pilot. But he has a severe stutter. I have been encouraging and I haven't mentioned the stutter for obvious reasons. I don't want to break his heart.

What is the reality of the situation for him?

Thank you

Lynx320
25th Apr 2017, 19:43
CaptainCriticalAngle (of attack)...i think your friend, or yourself, can easily find all needed info in the below link.

Good luck

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Applications/Medical/Medical-examination-information/

CaptainCriticalAngle
25th Apr 2017, 19:50
Where does it mention speech. I did check the CAA guides.

mike172
25th Apr 2017, 20:02
It doesn't, which I think is the point.

ollie135
25th Apr 2017, 20:39
Hi CCA,

Out of interest has your friend tried flying with a headset on? He may well find that things improve no end (although it doesn't always work immediately)! So long as he can be clearly understood I really don't see the issue with it. Feel free to PM me as one way or another I`ve had experience with this perceived issue.

CaptainCriticalAngle
25th Apr 2017, 22:34
Thank you the advice. I never thought of that. I'll take him up at some point and see what happens. He may realise himself that if his stutter doesn't improve, flying may not be a good option. But let's see what happens.

zzuf
26th Apr 2017, 07:13
My flight commander, when I was a student at RAAF AFTS, was a Sqn Ldr who was afflicted with severe stutter. He flew Canberra's, exchange RAF V bombers (including cloud penetration of the Maralinga nuclear tests), was a flight commander at RAAF CFS, CO of the first F4 squadron. Retired as an AVM and spent a number of years working in industry and government after the RAAF.
Stutter didn't seem to restrict his career.
I would give your friend some air time, keeping him occupied with "flying duties" and see how he copes.

jonkster
26th Apr 2017, 07:51
I heard a story many years ago when life was a little regulated, about a well known and rather cheeky captain in Oz that had a stammer.

Late one evening when Sydney Tower was quiet he burst forth on the radio with a rather rude limerick aimed at ATC (giving no callsign).

On landing he was asked to phone the tower. When they told him not to be so rude he asked how they worked out it was him.

cavortingcheetah
26th Apr 2017, 07:53
When rendered speechless by high anxiety, remembering that this is still in the syllabus might help.

Aviation Light Gun Signals - Aviation Light Signals - ATC - Pilot (http://learntofly.ca/aviation-light-gun-signals/)

Phororhacos
26th Apr 2017, 14:57
see the last few paragraphs of this... https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Otorhinolaryngology/Otorhinolaryngology-guidance-material-GM/

if the link does not work the key bit is
"Class 1 & 2
(g) Speech disorder
A significant disorder of speech or voice is disqualifying"

750XL
26th Apr 2017, 15:35
I work with a skipper who has a severe stutter, but not during ATC transmissions or cabin announcements.

gingernut
26th Apr 2017, 22:43
It'd be worth doing some pre-emptive stuff at this stage, including trying to root out the cause. (If any).

Have'nt looked through this in detail, but ?maybe a starting point. Stammering - Treatment - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Stammering/Pages/Treatment.aspx)

B2N2
26th Apr 2017, 23:02
I have a friend who has a 'ground' stutter but mysteriously it does not manifest itself in radio communications airborne.
Probably has to do with combining brain functions.
I guess he has no time to stutter...no pun intended.
All your friend can do is try.
Start with gliding or other low(er) cost options and see how things develop.

Realistically communication is of crucial importance in a multi crew environment. Standard procedures, standard communications, non standard and emergency communications both with ATC and crew members.
But as I said there are many cases of no stutter when the brain is otherwise engaged.

ExSp33db1rd
27th Apr 2017, 09:41
"Older" BOAC Captains steadfastly refused to talk on the HF when crossing the Atlantic ( or anywhere else necessitating HF comms. ) that was distinctly the F/O's job, but one of the more ameniable and friendly ones one day offered to pass the 40 deg West position report to Ocean Station Charlie, because that was done when in close proximity on VHF.

Unfortunately he had a stutter, but soldiered on to the embarrassment of his crew and finished with " Ch-Ch-Charlie, di-di-did you co-co-copy" ?

A languid American voice answered ... " Jeez, did we copy ? We've carved it into the :mad: deck ! "