PDA

View Full Version : Law firm Leigh Day accused by Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal

Warmtoast
24th Apr 2017, 15:59
Law firm Leigh Day accused at tribunal of failing for more than five years to reveal that its clients were Mahdi army members.

See here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/24/lawyers-leigh-day-cases-against-uk-troops-allegedly-knew-clients-belonged-iraq-militia-mahdi-army

Basil
24th Apr 2017, 16:21
Despicable people taking advantage of an over-sensitive UK.

Chinny Crewman
24th Apr 2017, 17:01
Telling that this pretty damning report is in The Guardian, I'm sure the Mail and Telegraph will be far more sympathetic!

flash8
24th Apr 2017, 22:21
Surely they have committed some form of criminal offence such as deception (the UK lawyers that is)?

Wonder if the yard will look in or will some form of political intervention make sure that isn't the case.

Stuff
24th Apr 2017, 23:07
The trial may break new legal ground, potentially setting limits on the extent to which solicitors need to prove allegations to their own satisfaction before they can bring them to court.

I'm going to show my ignorance of the law here but I thought you already had to have an honest belief that your client was innocent to defend them. The allegations here suggest the lawyers knew the 'defendants' were Mahdi army fighters so no new legal ground needs to be covered.

What am I missing?

Two's in
24th Apr 2017, 23:53
I'm going to show my ignorance of the law here but I thought you already had to have an honest belief that your client was innocent to defend them.

It's more about the right to a fair trial, your job is to ensure your clients receive fair and proper legal representation. There would be very few trials if the legal fraternity were required to believe clients were genuinely innocent.

PS. I do hope Shyster, Weasel and Tw@tface all get their just deserts on this.

Pontius Navigator
25th Apr 2017, 15:42
Two's in, that may be true for Defence lawyers. These are not defending but effectively prosecution and their clients are not defendants.

AnglianAV8R
25th Apr 2017, 17:26
Surely they have committed some form of criminal offence such as deception (the UK lawyers that is)?

Wonder if the yard will look in or will some form of political intervention make sure that isn't the case.

Conspiring to pervert the course of justice ?

I'd throw the keys away :mad:

Planet Basher
25th Apr 2017, 18:39
At least if they are disbarred they will have a great future in politics.

goudie
26th Apr 2017, 09:20
A week with the lads from Herefordshire might do them some good...Or harm!

ricardian
9th Jun 2017, 15:33
A day to hide this news (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40220366)