PDA

View Full Version : Full Time ATPLs and Part-time work

spitfire747
11th Jul 2002, 11:11
Just a quickie ;)

I am enrolled on the FULL TIME ATLP course at LGU for September. Although i have the means to pay the course fees, living will be tough. What i would like to know from experience, is it viable to do some part-time work at the weekends, or is there simply not the time available as it is taken up with private study. I knows this probably depends on the individual, but any opionions are gratefully accepted

Cheers, Spitty :D :D :D

Gin Slinger
11th Jul 2002, 11:42
I think a day's work a week could be do-able.

This is just my observation based on the amount of time I have avalible doing module 2 of my distance learning ATPL on a full-time basis (i.e. taking ~3 months over it).

MorningGlory
11th Jul 2002, 18:21
When I did my full time Jar ATPL course last year, I found that 9-5 at school and 7-9 or 10 EVERY night worked a treat!

I couldn't have worked a day at weekends, nor would I have had the energy.

The classroom day to day is a matter of 'keeping up to speed' and I found it was the private evening work that consolidated my knowledge and made it all make sense.

I personally worked monday to friday like a slave 9am - 10pm, usually had saturday off (I needed at least one day away from the books, plus saturday was hangover day!) ..Then worked on Sundays usually for about 3 to 4 hours.

It worked for me but you need to put the effort in, because mark my words, you will not want to retake anything! I think if I did any part time work during my course I may of had a few retakes. I was lucky.

MG.

Send Clowns
11th Jul 2002, 19:49
Spitfire

I would say it very much depends on your capacity and your background. I think I could have managed this, but I had done a lot of the work before and had a background in the physical sciences. Some other students I know could probably do so too, but there are others who really could not afford the time.

I would recommend you leave it at least until your first progress test (should be about half way through the syllabus of the first half of the course) and see how you are getting on then. Many students do not work hard enough up to this point, and get rather a shock! If you do well and have had some free time, then consider getting some work.

David Balchin
12th Jul 2002, 15:17
Trust Me you'll need all the time you can get just to make sence
of it all, there is much to learn 'grasshopper'
(and when you have,... how about explaning it to me!?)

(From Dave, somewhere under a pile of LGU Distance learning notes, somewhere in London)
:confused: :rolleyes: :D