PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Pilot open day in NZ. April 2017.

DeltaT
21st Apr 2017, 10:11
NZ Herald article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/aviation/news/article.cfm?c_id=556&objectid=11841946&ref=rss)

Auckland on April 28 and Christchurch on April 30

Roadshow sessions will be held at 10am and 2pm at The Langham hotel in Auckland on April 28 and at the same times at the Chateau on the Park by Hilton in Christchurch on April 30. Pilots need to attend only one of the four sessions and prior registration is not required to participate.

sahni
21st Apr 2017, 11:18
NZ Herald article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/aviation/news/article.cfm?c_id=556&objectid=11841946&ref=rss)

Typical (poor) quality NZ Herald article. "Emirates pilots typically work 85 hours a month." is my favorite statement 🤔

HOOROO
21st Apr 2017, 23:40
If you go to the open day, be prepared for their propaganda to be rammed down your throat!
Can't imagine "you work very hard, the heat is unbearable, your wife will be unhappy and you're a second class citizen" to make it into the PowerPoint presentation. :rolleyes:

mongooseflyer
22nd Apr 2017, 00:04
I once spent some time training an Emirates guy in the use of some technology he owned. My overriding memory of those conversations was that he was always exhausted, and that he was distinctly dissatisfied with crew rest period pressure.

If you go to the open day, be prepared for their propaganda to be rammed down your throat!
Can't imagine "you work very hard, the heat is unbearable, your wife will be unhappy and you're a second class citizen" to make it into the PowerPoint presentation. :rolleyes:

falconeasydriver
22nd Apr 2017, 05:31
The recruitment team are generally a good bunch, however if you are interested pin them down on a few things.
Flying hours? 85 per month is that factored or unfactored? i.e. How much time spent in the bunk vs how much is logged.
Leave, the contract says 42 days, so why do you only allocate 30? And how many are only getting 30 days allocated rather than the dates they want.
How many pilots are leaving and why? (Rostering)
Why are the rosters so brutal?
Why was the bond increased from 3 to 5 years?

Do your research, but if you can't get a straight answer to any of this you should be seeing warning signs.

Onesixty2four
22nd Apr 2017, 05:39
The Herald has become a rag over the last few years. No investigation behind any of their stories, just cut-and-paste social media or simply taking someone's word as gospel. Working 85 hours/month? That one in particular made me laugh. I remember years ago Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair fame would use the same tactic when talking to the press - quoting flight hours as total duty.

framer
22nd Apr 2017, 08:35
85 flight hours isn't that bad though, especially if the average sector length is 6 hours.
That's averaging 15 days off a month, sounds like a sweet deal to me:)

No Idea Either
22nd Apr 2017, 10:56
I believe they don't count time in the bunk framer, perhaps not as sweet as it appears!!!,!

BigGeordie
22nd Apr 2017, 11:42
Framer, it makes people laugh because the only way you will do 85 hours is if you have a week of leave in the month. 95 hours is more typical, 100 not exceptional. Some of the sectors on the 777 are 40 minutes, not 6 hours and on the 777 you can only expect 8 days off a month. The 380 is a bit better but 15 days would be exceptional.

keepitrealok
23rd Apr 2017, 08:58
"Emirates pilots typically work 85 hours a month" is a play on words.

It is stick hours, not 'work.' And then as others have alluded to, if you are doing augmented operations, only 50% of those hours you augment on are counted. 2 ULRs a month? Add an extra 14 hours.

Most will tell you they have't seen 85 hours for a long time. More like 95-110 stick hours (yes the way hours are calculated you can do those in a month.)

Annual Leave in your month? 14 days AL plus 70-75 stick hours for the month. No factoring for Productivity pay (kind of like overtime) so you are giving EK a gift of about 35hours for nothing.

Add 1:25hr before Departure and 30mins after Arrival that are paid. However due to EK practices, you won't get off the jet in under 30-45 mins after a flight and then add another 30-60mins of duty after this for the special little work practices as well.

And when you start pushing the stick hours for the year - lots of deadheading for freighter flights or sim supports. The bean counters won't possibly allow a pilot to have days off and be 'unproductive.' (Inside joke: If you take too much sick leave (in Ek's view) you'll be visiting a Costa Coffee Office Dweller to discuss your 'Productivity')

15 days off a month? In your dreams. 8-9. And you will be shattered on those days. If you have a family the common comment from guys leaving is "It got to the stage where I was just constantly cranky with my kids and wife. No life means I'm out of here."

Living the dream.

Not.

Buyer beware.

contratails
25th Apr 2017, 19:07
Emirates is what it is according to the pilots working there .

There are problems with rosters, lifestyle and cost of living ,but times are changing and pilots are becoming a commodity. There are lots of jobs out there but you have to have the jet time .
For a lot of people I know doing similar hours on lesser equipment and half the pay ,life is not so good. You can be trapped on a turboprop through no fault of your own and have no career path. You can fill jet cockpits pretty easily but its harder to fill turboprop cockpits

If you want to step up your career to a big jet for a few years particularly if you are flying a turboprop, Emirates is a no brainer . F/O 777 or A380. Not a bad choice and if pilots are flying 900 hrs per year 2500 hrs on type in under 3 years .

To be an Emirates pilot you have to pass the recruitment but once your there , Emirates pilots are internationally respected, well trained and snapped up by many other International airlines once they leave Emirates.(Words of an external recruitment company) Emirates pilots are employable .

Even if you look at Emirates as a stepping stone, it may get you to the next place in your aviation career

IMHO Worth a check out.

27/09
26th Apr 2017, 04:58
I bet Emirates would be absolutely chuffed to think they could be a stepping stone.

falconeasydriver
26th Apr 2017, 11:45
Goodness me contratails, you don't seem anything like a management stooge...or worse a Costa dweller trying their best to get a few bums on seats.
I would advise anyone seriously considering attending these roadshows to do their research and there plenty of it on this website, plenty of accurate non hysterical or biased info.