PDA

View Full Version : FAO Ex-RAF AVTECH or MECH's that have been down the B1/ B2 Licence route?

BeerCall88
19th Apr 2017, 18:03
Hi all.

I'm hoping there are some Ex-RAF guys on the forum that can save me some issues in the future and give me some tips.

I'm an Avionics Technician in the RAF and I'm currently in the process of completing the 12 theory modules required for the B2 licence, this part I am happy with.

I have spoken with the CAA, and in brief they have told me that 5 years practical experience is required. For ex military 4 years of this can be discounted with a letter from CO/Engineering Officer outlining career history(aircraft/work etc) and one year to be on Civilian Aircraft Maintenance.

does anyone have actual experience with this path and possibly offer me any advice?

Cheers.

Oldlae
20th Apr 2017, 07:57
Are you entitled to a pre-release course, if so choose a company and write to them and spend some time with them which may help when you actually leave as they will know you.

sph33r
20th Apr 2017, 12:35
Not RAF and not EX yet but I'm in the same boat as you, what I tried to do is find a company I could apprentice at, and get a feel for the civil aviation environment, before I make the jump. At the end I turned to a 147 which is partnered for this with a company...

Kengineer-130
24th Apr 2017, 09:37
Hi, I left the RAF in 2011 & did exactly what you are doing, Pm me your number if you want a chat, be glad to help.