PDA

View Full Version : PALMA - Easter Saturday 15 April Boarding Queues

pzu
15th Apr 2017, 14:18
From Daily Record - Any Info?

Scottish tourists face travel chaos in Palma airport with huge delays at passport control - Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/scottish-tourists-face-travel-chaos-10231129)

configsafenot
15th Apr 2017, 14:20
And so the holiday season gets underway, Easter breakers all rushing to the sun, sea and sangria....going by this though "rushing" ain't happening

There's fainting in the queues for security checks...and so the usual fun and games begins...with the added excuses of Gibraltar, Brexit and anything else that can be thought of that sounds good ;)

Chaos for thousands of Easter tourists at Palma airport | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4414128/Chaos-thousands-Easter-tourists-Palma-airport.html)

Next week it will no doubt be fainting in the queues at Standsted, Gatwick, Heathrow etc as this lot come home

DaveReidUK
15th Apr 2017, 14:56
We're told that the action (or more accurately, inaction) by Spanish border guards has nothing whatsoever to do with this week's developments in the Gibraltar border dispute.

Yeah, right.

ATNotts
15th Apr 2017, 14:58
I'm sure it doesn't have; the situation will be the same for all non-Schengen departures.

Since the UK and Ireland, along with others such as Russia aren't Schengen signatories we take the hit along with the rest of them.

canberra97
15th Apr 2017, 15:11
Already being discussed in another thread!

configsafenot
15th Apr 2017, 15:14
Posted at the same time...whilst I did this, the other was done...nowt I can do about that sadly

j636
15th Apr 2017, 15:24
Its happening all over Europe so get used to it.

Its has nothing to do with Gibraltar, the Spanish are always pushing into UK land around the rock it was just never covered before. The Spanish never expected the reaction of recent events but you can be sure they will up anti just to get a rise out of people.

Ironic thing is British are always moaning about poor border checks in the UK but don't like it when other States do it.

The pics look no different to an arrivals hall in Gatwick most days.

racedo
15th Apr 2017, 15:49
Stansted normal sunday evening when Border Agency staff shut down number of booths.

canberra97
15th Apr 2017, 16:27
Its happening all over Europe so get used to it.

Ironic thing is British are always moaning about poor border checks in the UK but don't like it when other States do it.

And my father is one of them, it's weird isn't -:)

LTNman
15th Apr 2017, 16:29
Same as Luton then except after queuing at passport control the luggage still hasn't reached the belt

configsafenot
15th Apr 2017, 16:47
Back in 1982 I managed to seize up the baggage belts at LTN

Was not my fault though :O

Flew home from a skiing trip, boarded at Munich, flew with Britannia

Dad, bless him, asked me to bring home an authentic Austrian icepick cos he wanted one to hang on the lounge wall. So I bought one and strapped it with a roll of duct tape to the outside of my suitcase cos it would not fit inside and I was told by Munich check in that I could not take it into the aircraft with hand luggage

Off my suitcase went, boarded the flight, landed at LTN....stood by the carousel....waited.....waited....no bags came

Airport PA called my name....I knew it...that damned icepick had come off the suitcase and dropped tween the belts, stopped the lot

Got it back eventually, dad hung it on the wall....never did forgive him for asking me to get one of those

I digress...many times at many airports I've waited at the belts for the luggage for ages after passing through immigration....hence why now I usually travel with hand luggage only, especially when to the USA where queues are murder when connecting

DaveReidUK
15th Apr 2017, 17:06
I'm sure it doesn't have; the situation will be the same for all non-Schengen departures.

Since the UK and Ireland, along with others such as Russia aren't Schengen signatories we take the hit along with the rest of them.

The Russians and Irish are just collateral damage. :O

racedo
15th Apr 2017, 20:07
Irish mates talking about Brexit rceently said there is a train of thought that if UK goes for border controls in NI then ROI may decide to join Schengen.
As border goes back and forward on roads then UK would have to spend billions on a border which would leak like a sieve.
Hence immigrants would just fly to Dublin and get across the border easily and then they UK's problem as London would have to impose passport checks between NI and rest of UK.
Not sure I agreed with train of thought but their view was imposing immigration checks between NI and UK would end in NI leaving UK long term.

inOban
15th Apr 2017, 20:56
I believe there are nearly 300 crossborder roads between ROI and NI. There very few between Scotland and England...

PPRuNeUser0176
15th Apr 2017, 23:26
Irish mates talking about Brexit rceently said there is a train of thought that if UK goes for border controls in NI then ROI may decide to join Schengen.
As border goes back and forward on roads then UK would have to spend billions on a border which would leak like a sieve.
Hence immigrants would just fly to Dublin and get across the border easily and then they UK's problem as London would have to impose passport checks between NI and rest of UK.
Not sure I agreed with train of thought but their view was imposing immigration checks between NI and UK would end in NI leaving UK long term.

Your right not to agree, schengen won't happen. It's completely irrelevant as if immigrants want to enter illegally why go via NI when they can just do it as a tourist. It will come down to employment legislation to sort it out.

Not sure passport checks would lead to NI leaving, after all it's unionists who would take a big issue and I don't see them suddenly changing allegiance to ROI. It's won't bother nationalists in NI or anybody in ROI if they were introduced, after all ROI require them.

NI ever leaving will just be the statistics proving what was claimed 20 years ago.

Passport checks for NI will not happen, would just be another "problem" for Westminster to deal with and they will struggle to find an acceptable solution without upsetting one side.

I can also confirm the Spanish are not just picking on the Brits at Palma, was there on Thursday (coverage is also over dramatic), give it time and it will reduce and adequate staffing levels to catch up with the small problem of dealing wtih up to 3 million extra passengers a year....

mik3bravo
15th Apr 2017, 23:55

Following the Second World War, the UK’s 1949 Ireland Act formalised the special relationship by declaring that Ireland, while no longer a dominion of the UK, is not a “foreign country”.

In 1952, the Common Travel Area (CTA) came into place. This travel area covers the two states. The CTA enables UK and Irish nationals to be treated almost identically within both states. For example, UK citizens in Ireland and Irish citizens in the UK have the right to vote in local, national and European elections. Both sets of citizens enjoy unfettered access to employment, social welfare and healthcare.

There is more (https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/brexit-theresa-villiers-misleading-on-return-of-border-controls-1.2613920?mode=amp)