PDA

View Full Version : Interview with film pilot JG

mickjoebill
15th Apr 2017, 08:46
The Conversation Hour: Tales of adventure - The Conversation Hour - ABC Radio (http://www.abc.net.au/radio/melbourne/programs/theconversationhour/the-conversation-hour/8420306)

Radio podcast Description;
Jon Faine's co-host is motorcycling globetrotter Shirley Hardy-Rix. She has written three books with her husband Brian Rix about their overland trips around the world: Circle to Circle, Two for the Road and The Long Way to Vladivostok.

Their first guest is Michael Smith. He completed a solo circumnavigation of the globe in an amphibious SeaRey aeroplane in 2015. He was named 2016 Adventurer of the Year by the Australian Geographical Society. He is also the owner of The Sun Theatre in Yarraville. A documentary about his trip, Voyage of the Southern Sun has its world premiere on Wednesday 12th April, 2017. It will also screen at Sun Cinema Bairnsdale (21st April) , Cloud 9 Cinema Bright (23rd April) and Showbiz Cinema Swan Hill (26th April).

Then they are joined by aerial filmmaker and former Royal Navy Search and Rescue helicopter pilot Jerry Grayson. He has just published Film Pilot: From James Bond to Hurricane Katrina (Bloomsbury). His previous book was Rescue Pilot: Cheating the Sea."

Mickjoebill

JerryG
15th Apr 2017, 20:11
Thanks for the plug MJB. New book comes out in the UK on May 4th, out now in Australia.

John Eacott
15th Apr 2017, 21:17
Coincidentally Shirley is a member of my BMW Motorcycle Club of Victoria and was an ABC journo when I flew their news helicopter, so I've flown with both her and Jerry. She and her husband Brian are renowned travellers with their own books of their motorcycle adventures around the globe.

She is also the daughter of Frank Hardy, author of Power without Glory, an Australian literature classic. He was a staunch communist and a challenge to the establishment, his book should be read by anyone with an inquiring mind.

I look forward to seeing Jerry's latest book soon, no doubt someone can write an appreciation here in due course?

MaxR
16th Apr 2017, 07:43
Thanks for the plug MJB. New book comes out in the UK on May 4th, out now in Australia.

It worked as well, just bought Rescue Pilot and pre-ordered Film Pilot.

MaxR
1st May 2017, 09:50
JerryG

I've finished Rescue Pilot and absolutely loved it - I felt like I was there with you on some of the rescues but was often glad that wasn't actually the case. I am pleased that I've pre-ordered Film Pilot and am looking forward to Thursday when it's published.

Thanks Boss. :ok:

JerryG
4th May 2017, 07:21
Thanks again guys. Film Pilot published in the UK today. Let me know if you enjoy (and don't if you don't!).
Cheers JerryG

BigDotStu
8th May 2017, 16:16
Having seen this thread I ordered both books. Rescue Pilot arrived on Friday and having read it already I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Film Pilot! (And have now also ordered "Left for dead" having read Rescue Pilot).

Thanks for the excellent read(s) Jerry.

CYHeli
10th May 2017, 03:34
Just finished Film Pilot and look forward to reading Rescue pilot.
Nice work JerryG and I hope to run into you in Melb one day.
Col.